Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ok so here it goes I was banded jan 2010 lost 40lbs very slow then got pregnant feb 2011 gained it all back and now I can't lose a pound I have tried everything. I really believe the band has stopped. My metabilizm. I want this band removed and I want the sleeve my husband is worried because the band didnt work who's to say the sleeve will and the sleeve isn't removable. I feel fat and depressed I don't know what to do. Please any advice would be great

The band doesn't simply stop working unless it's slipped or somehow come undone. It can't change your metabolism either. In fact, the band isn't even what makes you lose weight. Consuming less calories than you burn is what results in weight loss. The band is there to keep you satisfied on less food for longer periods of time. You have to remember all WLS are just tools. The work will forever be yours regardless.

My best advice is to start tracking calories and measuring your food. This way you can be certain you're staying within your daily calorie allowance and sticking to band sized portions.

I would also follow up with both your surgeon and nutritionist.

Remember, it doesn't matter which WLS you choose, the work will always be yours to do.

Best wishes.

The band doesn't simply stop working unless it's slipped or somehow come undone. It can't change your metabolism either. In fact' date=' the band isn't even what makes you lose weight. Consuming less calories than you burn is what results in weight loss. The band is there to keep you satisfied on less food for longer periods of time. You have to remember all WLS are just tools. The work will forever be yours regardless.

My best advice is to start tracking calories and measuring your food. This way you can be certain you're staying within your daily calorie allowance and sticking to band sized portions.

I would also follow up with both your surgeon and nutritionist.

Remember, it doesn't matter which WLS you choose, the work will always be yours to do.

Best wishes.[/quote']

Thanks but my doctor actually said it has been proven that the band can slow even stop your metabolism. And I do track everything and I have very good restriction actually if it was any tighter I wouldn't be able to eat. I know all the surgery are just tools I just thing the band wasn't the right tool for me.

Thanks but my doctor actually said it has been proven that the band can slow even stop your metabolism. And I do track everything and I have very good restriction actually if it was any tighter I wouldn't be able to eat. I know all the surgery are just tools I just thing the band wasn't the right tool for me.

I don't mean this offensively in the least, but now I'm seriously questioning your doctor. It is biologically impossible for the band to effect your metabolism. The band doesn't change your digestive system nor your metabolic system. All it does is sit outside your stomach. The only way the band could sort of effect your metabolism is by making it so you eat too little thus drastically slowing your metabolism down- but even then it would be a simple fix by increasing your calories.

Many things can effect your metabolism, everything from age to illness to hormones, but the band definitely isn't one of them. That would be like saying a collar around your neck is slowing your thyroid. It's not logical.

If you are tracking calories and still not losing, then I would get into your primary care doctor so you can get a full work up to make sure there isn't something going on medically.

I think the best thing to do is to give us a typical days diet ( an honest 1 not an ideal 1) and to tell us how much exercise you are doing. That will help us to help you.

Do you have access to a nutritionist at your surgery center? It's time to go back to basics. Sit down with both of them...tell them your struggles, your fears, your daily food intake, etc. Maybe the doc can give you an xray just to make sure everything is where it's supposed to be. They will try and get you back on track if your honest and want to get this back on track. Another wls is only going to exasperate your efforts.

Good luck!

I am no expert, but when I reached a weight loss plateau and was doing everything I was supposed including measuring my food and exercising, I reduced my carb intake significantly as my doctor recommended and that helped me get past my plateau. But, without knowing your diet like the other posts say it is hard to say what might help. I really wish you the best of luck and hope you can start to lose weight no matter what you choose to do if you are feeling depressed, I know that feeling and still have it because I have a ways to go but find the support here helpful, so glad to see you here reaching out for some support!

P.S. Have you had your thyroid checked?