Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Soooooooooo tired!

Has anyone noticed that they are more tired and/or sleeping less since being banded? :notagree I had my surgery on 3/30/06 and can't seem to get more than 4-5 hours of sleep. I'm on a soft diet for weeks 3-5 (will get solids in a week and a half) and don't wake up hungry so why can't I get a restful sleep? I take all the Vitamin supplements and have been sticking to the diet (first fill not until 6/5).

I am an RN who works 12 hour shifts so it's not like I am sitting around all day. I also go to school full-time and NEED my high energy level to get everything done. Lately, I'm so tired when I get home from work that I can't concentrate on school work. :)

Am I unique or is this something others have experienced post-op. If you have, when does your energy level kick back to normal? ;)

Elisabeth--

Are you getting enough Protein???

I am actually sleeping less but feeling more energy and I attributed this to the exercise and wt loss!! ;) Sorry your not experiencing this quite yet....

Did you take enough time off to recover??? Or did you jump back in...you need a solid 4 weeks to heal....some places say 6 weeks!

You also sound like you have a VERY full platter!!

I take Melatonin 3mg 1/2 tablet that dissolves in my mouth! So helpful!! Gives me a deeper sleep....more effective!! :)

Hope this helps!!

God Bless,

Melody

Banded 3/20/06 -37lbs ;)

Elisabeth: since I was only banded 3 days ago, I don't have much advice to offer...or experience in this.

BUT....listen to your body and be careful...you prob are still healing inside (logically, I know that you KNOW this!) and need to take it easy. So, plse don't overdo it...you may not be able to have such a full plate right now. I know it is all "important" but try and see what you can do to cut it down a bit.

Kay?

Thank you for responding. I still have to consume 2 Protein Drinks a day with the soft diet so that I get 60-70 grams of Protein. I took a week off from work to recover but still feel exhausted at the end of a 12 hour shift. I'm hoping I regain my energy level soon and start sleeping better.

Elisabeth,

I am just now beginning to feel like myself again. I teach and though it's not 12 hour shifts, I do have to get up at 5:30 am and usually don't get home until 5:30 pm. I'm also working on my Master's online so I understand how you feel.

It will get better. I went back to work after being out for 6 days and when I got home I couldn't keep my eyes open. Of course then I didn't sleep as well at night because I couldn't get comfortable. My second week back, one of my 6th grade teachers mentioned that I was looking much better and now they don't even remember that I was out.

Audra

I was banded approximately a month & half before you and was so tired for a lont time. I had previously had my gallbaldder removed with no problems. I was so tired with the band surgery, I had trouble going back to work. It took maybe a month. Just today, a friend remarked that she can't believe how much more energy I have. I think it really started to change when I started back in on actual food (particularly protien). I pureed a lot of chicken/turkey with cottage cheese. This phase to will pass. Keep at it.

I was banded approximately a month & half before you and was so tired for a lont time. I had previously had my gallbaldder removed with no problems. I was so tired with the band surgery, I had trouble going back to work. It took maybe a month. Just today, a friend remarked that she can't believe how much more energy I had. I think it really started to change when I started back in on actual food (particularly protien). I pureed a lot of chicken/turkey with cottage cheese. This phase to will pass. Keep at it.

I had my gallbladder out a few years ago and that surgery was a breeze compared to this one. LOL. I'm preparing for my comprehensive exams for my PhD and really thought I would "bounce back" from this surgery as well as I did for the gallbladder surgery. I'm glad to hear I am not the only one taking longer than expected to feel like normal again. I'll be a month post-op on Thursday and will start on solids a week after that... hopefully that will make a positive difference.

I think you need to remember that you just had major surgery, compacted by the idea that you are eating less than your body is used it. I think that your body will catch up with you, but it will probably just take some time.

*hugs*