Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Would You Have Weight Loss Surgery Again?

Would You Have Weight Loss Surgery Again?   

107 members have voted

1. 1. Knowing what you know now about weight loss surgery, would you do it again if you had the chance to make your decision again?

• Yes, without a doubt! The surgery has been everything I?d hoped for.
    • Yes, probably. The journey hasn?t been easy, but I?m losing weight and feel that this was my best option.
    • Yes, but I would have chosen a different type of weight loss surgery.
    • No. I?ve had complications and my health has suffered and/or I haven?t been hitting my weight loss goals.
    • I haven?t had the surgery yet, but I?m looking at the results of this poll carefully to help me make my decision!
    • Other...read my response below!

Yes and No. I made the correct decision at the time, about 7 years ago. I was skyrocketing to a very unhealthy weight. Would I have the surgery with the information I have now? No. Yes, I did lose weight with the lap band. Yes, I have gained weight back with the lap band. I have also lost weight without the use of my band (a total unfill). The lap band does not help with my night snackings, that is me and only me. The lap band does restrict the amount of food I eat in the morning and afternoon. So, please do your research before having the surgery. Why are you getting the lap band? If you think it is a magic tool that will make the weight drop off then you are wrong. You still have to diet and exercise. Good luck on your journey.

From the Dr charging to go to support meetings ...

Charging for support meetings???

Charging for support meetings???

Yep. they recently stopped that and added a nutritionest to the group. That kind of line up would definitely have helped me 5 yrs ago. Now saddly I am out of the magic first year window.

Knowing what you know now about weight loss surgery' date=' would you do it again if you had the chance to make your decision again? Choose your option in the above poll, and then explain it in the discussion below![/quote']

yes! I am 8 months out and I would definitely do it again. No problems experienced :-)

I also would do it again in a heartbeat. It's been work and change on my part' date=' but I'm positive I wouldn't have lived to see my kids have their own families someday if I hadn't gotten the band and lost 200 pounds.

My advice to anyone considering the band is to do your homework. The biggest problem I see is people going into surgery completely clueless what to expect and what will be expected of them. They come out expecting the band to perform miracles or are simply ignorant to what the band is (and isn't) supposed to do. Education is your best friend making such a life changing decision.

I would 100% do it again. Definitely.[/quote']

Amen! I couldn't have said it better!

I'm still in the liquid diet phase post surgery. This is so hard. I know it will be worth it in the end and I'm taking it hour by hour.

Hang in there, it will get easier. Seems like just a couple of weeks ago I was at your same stage. I am now 8 months out and 50 lbs lighter :)

Definitely would do it again. I am a newbie, with my band on since March 4. I still have a long way to go, but so far I am doing well with my food and am so grateful. It is scary to see the difficulties that some encounter. Statistically the risks seem to be low, but the stories here seem to be at a higher rate. Being in the Boston region leads me to believe that the clinic I am working with is likely to be solid (my hospital is teaching hospital for Harvard). I'm hoping that reduces the risk and the fact that my physician has been doing this for a long time and has impeccable credentials. Thanks for the support, everyone!

Yes, I would do it again, even though it was a difficult start for me, lots of pain. And, even though I have not lost most of my excess weight (I'm still about 60 pounds over). I may not be typical, but here is why I love it: before the band, I was always hungry. Hungry right after I ate. Starved when I woke up. Focused on food a LOT and had to think all the time about NOT eating. Dieting all the time. And gaining weight every year, no matter how much I dieted and focused on eating the right foods.

After the band: I am no longer hungry all the time. I eat whatever I want, whenever I want (but I've always been a healthy eater, still am.) I get full after eating a little bit. I don't get hungy until the next meal time. I don't worry about gaining weight, and I don't gain weight.

Is this the best use for the band? Probably not. Could I use it to lose the rest of my excess weight? Sure, I know I can. However, just having this peace of mind, not focused on food all the time, freedom from weight gain, ability to eat what I want to eat whenever I'm hungry, I am OVERJOYED. I would do it again in a heartbeat!

I love my band so far.I feel like I'm rolling back the years!(lowest weight in at least 18 yrs) I feel healthier and more in control of my life.

Yes would have it done again and again ! The best choice I ever made,, wish I had done it sooner!! I LOVE MY BAND :)

Yes, I would 100% do it again.

I am a year out and have not had any complications at all, only wonderful results.

You bet I would! If this ever fails me I will have sleeve cause I know without something the hunger monster takes over! Attached a picture at what I started at and you can see my profile picture now!post-211098-1381313506564_thumb.jpg

post-266881-13813141734782_thumb.jpg

Absolutely!

I'm a newbie (new here yesterday) so any conclusions I may have at this point are premature. I was banded Apirl 25th & I have my first adjustment on Thursday. As of right now I would have it again tomorrow.

My negatives.

The ones I new going in - I miss my morning bagel and evening pretzels. And lunchtime favs ~ pizza & cheese steaks. (I worked at a pizzeria for 18 yrs) The big thing I knew going was I don't eat just because I'm hungry. Matter of fact that's the least of my problems. I love food. Love to cook & have BBQs. I eat when I'm stressed, nervous, happy, sad & whatever. Love to go out to eat. We live 20 minutes from Atlantic City and some of the best chefs in the world have restaurants there. And we go to NYC a lot and there's a zillion great places in the Big Apple! So for me the biggest challenge has been mental. Going out with or to friends is difficult. I have had one major falling off the wagon that was a VIP Preview party for Margaritaville in AC. WAY too much to drink! (open bar all night). I paid the next day. Gained 3 lbs and did not lose anything till the next weekend. I have been out 3 times since and drank Water with my screw up fresh in mind.

The things I did not see coming.

Booze... I don't drink much so I did not really spend much time mentally preparing. I love rum! And many times like I stated above when I drink, I DRINK! The good news is I don't usually care about things like what I'm eating when I drink but I was very careful. So for now it's Water.

And lastly, drinking at meals. I drink constantly and not drinking before and after meals may be the hardest part. I when I do something I'm not suppose to, that usually it.

Positives.

Losing weight!!! Had I not binged I would to my first goal of 300lbs which was for 7/4. This morning I clocked in at 305lb. Getting close. My girlfriend has celiac so we both have become menu readers and waitresses nightmares. Kidding most places are VERY understanding. We have split meal and not been charged a "plate sharing fee". We take lot's of food home for an extra meal or too. And although we have different "conditions" it's easier for both of us because the other person is not chowing down. And we just don't go out as much as we used to. I would love to say I'm saving money but I think the Protein shake store gets it all.

Another HUGE positive is I have broken my soda, carb & caffeine addictions. 35yrs of being a soda addict. Every morning a 20oz Mt Dew or you did not want to be around me. I have been on reduced carb diets like Atkins the only diet that gave me major weight loss. (4 a while) But soda has always been my best friend. And the thing is I have always drank lot's of water too.

As many people have said here this is not a short cut and it's hard and it's work. If it was as easy to take weight off as it was to put on there would not be any over weight people! And it's not fun. But the things I'm starting to be able to do now that I'm losing the weight, they are fun. Looking forward to decreasing my back pain, getting off some meds and if I'm real lucky- improving my sleep apnea to the point where I don't have C-Pap machine at night!

Thanks for reading my babble...