Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

constipation anyone???

Hi All,

I'm new to this, but I have to ask...does anyone suffer from Constipation? I was banded on 12/24/03 and my doctor asked everytime I went in if I had constipation issues. The answer had been no up until about 6 months ago. Now, everytime I get my period I can't go and eating a fibrous diet is almost impossible. Any suggestions? :party:

One more issue...when I went in for my 2nd fill, last May, my doctor told me that my band was 'empty'--meaning I hadn't had a fill. Has anyone's first fill just 'disappeared'? If so, did your doctor have an explanation as to where it went? :help:

Thanks,

Rachel

I've had the Constipation issue. Painful infact.

Nothing seemed to help but I took a liquid lax. yuck even that took 2 days to get things moving! Dunno also If I cant go I cant get I know sounds weird but its likes theres no more room in my body or something lol. I pb if I try to eat non liquid foods when I cant go.

Okies changing subject!

"I" have never heard of a fill disapearing. Did your Dr. say or act like this was normal or okay? weird let me know about that.

A couple of the Feb Bandsters had their first fill disappear... something about air in the band from the surgery / evaporation. Their doctors took it in stride... though I'm not sure I would! :party: I'm pretty sure their 2nd fill stayed in ok, so there wasn't any leak.

You might try Benefiber once you get things moving again... it dissolves in Water & is pretty much tasteless. I put it in tea & can't taste it at all. It keeps me moving. :rolleyes: However, it is just Fiber... if you're already backed up, it may not do the trick. Sounds like you need Milk of Magnesia or something!

Good luck!

His office was in the process of going to computerized records at the time of my 1st fill, so he thinks I didn't have a 1st fill. I told him I definitely did, but he didn't think so. This also happened to a friend of mine just a couple of months ago. Her first fill was gone. No explanation from her doc either.

I had to go to the ER one night for severe Constipation and a possible bowel obstruction. My doc had me take a ducolax once a day at bed time, followed by a dose of milk oh mag. (For 5 days). Things started flowing again within 24 hours. He also suggested upping my benefiber to twice daily and getting more of my fluids in. No problems to report since then. Best of luck!

I've read about the first fill disappearing several times here on LBT. Check the "Fill" forum.

i use senecot only if i am REALLY backed up. it works every time. i also try to eat bran with some milk for Breakfast whenever i can...it helps keep me Fluid.< /p>

Milk of Magnesia works great for the Constipation. Don't take the whole does the first time like I did... was up all night going to the bathroom. !/2 the dose works just fine for me. I take it about once a week.

My first fill is tomorrow.

I drink those little individual cans of prune juice if I'm having trouble, and it works every time. I tried milk of magnesia and thought I was going to throw up...something about it just repulses me.

Emily

Benefiber is good for avoiding it, or if you start to notice you are a little backed up, it can keep it from getting worse. I also can't really eat if I'm backed up. I guess it kind of makes sense, lol.

If it happens every month during your cycle, maybe start taking a Fiber supplement (like benefiber or other) a week before or something. You could work it into your diet to take every day also.

YES! It's no fun!! I was pretty bad and still not regular and "easy-going." If you stopped up, get it moving (with suggestions previous, or mineral oil, or some type of lax). If you want to be regular or try to be add Benefiber. I like the non-taste, non-grit you can spinkle on your food or in drinks. I am no where near my pre-band days, but it's better than my post band days!

Shawn