Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First Fill Tomorrow

Hi everyone! I'm going for my first fill tomorrow and I'm very excited but also a little nervous! I don't know what to expect.. I mean, I somewhat do, but I'm nervous it will hurt. Do they hurt? What was your experience?

Thanks!

There is a little pain with the needle, but it isn't terrible. I have been trying to think of something it compares to, but haven't really found anything...I guess it is like getting a shot, but it is different too.

Sorry, I guess this isn't much help, but you'll do fine. B)

If they are doing it fluoroscopically, they will put you in a chair and move the scope around to locate your port and band, then they will insert the needle, then they will have you take a sip of barium and see how fast it travels through the band. They will fill the band some, have you take another sip and possibly adjust the band once more, then a final sip. Out comes the needle, bandaid over the spot and off you go. Be sure to go back on liquids for at least 24 hours, then soft, then mushy, then solids...just like after surgery.

Good advice above, I have nothing to add except best wishes! It is really not painful. A bit odd at first, but not painful Good luck to you!

Had mine done on Friday. I had alot of anxiety for nothing! It was done before I even knew it. I said to the doctor, "that was it"? He said.."yup". I said well then I am bummed because I thought it would be more dramatic. He said, "sorry to disappoint you." LOL....you'll be fine! My fill made alot of difference so far. Good luck.

I also had my first fill on Friday. There was a minor skin prick from the needle, a tiny bit of pressure when the port was pierced and it was all over in 15 seconds. Don't sweat it. I also was on liquids for 24 hrs, then on to mushies and today back to my regular food.< /p>

Thank you all for your tips, advice, and sharing!! It really helped! :). As nervous as I am, I'm now curious to know what it feels like. Lol.

Did any of you bruise after getting your fill?

I have my first fill on thursday 3/28! Excited to finally have some liquid in my band since i am completely empty in a 14cc band, need some restriction! :)

Yes, I was bruised. 4 wks later still a bit bruised but I attribute this more to the blood thinner I'm on.

It will feel like a pinch, but it isn't that bad, and I hate needles!!! The entire procedure takes about ten seconds.

Don't expect to see too much difference after the first fill. It took four fills before I was even convinced that there was a band inside of me, LOL!

Good luck with your lapband!

Thank you all for your tips, advice, and sharing!! It really helped! :). As nervous as I am, I'm now curious to know what it feels like. Lol.

Did any of you bruise after getting your fill?

Even 3 1/2 yrs later, everytime I get a fill/unfill, I'm bruised and sore for a few days. It's really not that bad. They use lidocaine on me before sticking in the needle. You may want to ask for it.

Marci

Just had my first fill!!! 4cc's finally in my band im no longer completely empty in a 14cc band woohoo my port is above my belly buton in my mid section, like i thought. The fill was a little longer than i expected because my port is on an angle, a little pressure and poke and moving around but i survived! I was so excited :)