Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Shower question

Yes, (sigh) I have another query! Apparently I'm allowed to have a shower the 3rd day after surgery (which will be on Monday). Obviously my steri-strips will still be on (I was told they should stay on for 7-10 days). So...is it okay if they get wet?

I need some re-assurance...I don't want to infect anything; I'm prone to not healing well in the first place.

So ya....showers...is the question.

Tks all.

I was allowed to shower the morning after surgery. Just let the soapy Water run down over your belly and don't scrub. That's what they told me to do and the strips stayed on for over a week with almost daily showering.

It took an act of congress for my steristrips to fall off. I finally had to take them off on my own because they weren't coming off (even with showers). I didn't scrub them, but had no probs showering at all. Eventually the edges started to peel up and I just cut the loose edges off until it was time to take them off. Hey - congrats on the surgery!

HI Yoda!

This is my third Lap surgery. (Gallbladder removed, Hyrnia repair and now Banded!!!) Yeah!!

Each time, I showed within the day I got home. As early as the day after surgery. And like many, the strips are on for weeks and you have to take the ones that wouldn't budge, off yourself. And I wash mine gently.

If you are apt to not heal and infect easily, just let the warm Water run over them, and any soap that naturally does.

Be gentle to you!!!!

And please shower girl, that smell is putrid! LOL JOKING!!!!! :party:

My Doc's info packet says to shower as much as you want. Just no soaking them (as in a bath). Not to worry. If they do come off too soon, pat dry and put others on.

Kim, I was like you - I was using goo gone weeks after surgery to try to get the damn things off.

3 days of no showering? That sounds nutzo to me. I can't get into the bed with dirty feet, so I showered the same day as surgery. If you're super paranoid, wrap some saran wrap around yourself.

LOL @ StrawartS....saran wrap! That's cute! My luck though my husband will think I'm trying something kinky!!!

hehe.

Often, docs use and extra solution on the area to help those steri strips stick before they apply the steri strips. They're supposed to stay in place for 7-10 days, just like stitches to help the wound edges close before they come off. They kind of hold the wound together.

Anyway, it's absolutely O.K. to shower with them on and get them wet. I would not soak in a tub or swim yet. What will happen is that the edges will lose their "stick" and peel off. Cut those edges off and eventually the whole darn thing will come off. Hopefully your doc didn't use some super gluey stuff to help them stick or you'll be using the "goo be gone" stuff for a long time.

Do not. I repeat. DO NOT pick them off if they're still fairly secured to your body. They help hold the wound edges together and keep them together which helps keep scarring to a minimum (although that is not the primary purpose). In addition, by picking them off and possibly exposing the wound you may be putting yourself at risk for infection.

Just your humble nurse giving as much info as possible.

I am a RN and always tell my patients to shower, just do not scrub the area where the strips are. After shower, air dry and keep open to air as possible. Also, let them come off by themself. They will fall off over time. Heal soon!