Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

PB's and sliming?

tring to do that ticker thing isn't working out very well....
Copy and paste the code from the following section:

bbCode:

(Fertility Friend's Circles, phpBB, Invision Power Board, vBulletin...)

But, you only need the text between the tags.

I watched the upper gi barium swallow I had last month and could tell that the barium did not want to go down. I felt pain and the xray tech pointed out that my body was making secretions to try to help the barium flow through. I could actually see the contraction (pain) in the esophagus. So I think a PB and a slime are the same thing. The food never comes back (for me) it is always just the secretions that build up because of the temporary blockage. Don't know how long it would take to clear and the pain is pretty bad so I always try to bring up and spit out the slime. I think if food actually comes back that would be vomiting. But I have wretched just PBing, but not since I had some saline taken out. Relief!

after being banded 15 months ive hit two plateus, both of these have moved once Ive thought "darn it Im going to eat rubbish who cares, its not coming off anyway" upped the cals considerably for ONE day and voila things started moving again. go figure but maybe when the cals are low the body hangs on to its fat for famine reasons, it cant hang on forever but its annoying when it is, especially when you know your not eating enough to even maintain. (not to get mixed up with living on bars of chocolate and wondering why your not losing as my friend has done ha ha (

I'm no expert but I've had many experiences with pbing and sliming and my definition is: When food gets stuck (either too big a bite or something that that doesn't agree with you - i.e. for most bread, rice, etc.) it will either sit there for a while and you will feel pain and it will eventually go down OR it's not going to go down and you will start spitting up saliva and evenutally you will throw up some of the food with copious (sp) amounts of saliva - this saliva is usally really thick, clear and gross. For me, if I start sliming, it means I'm going to eventually throw up.

When I was first banded I got several things stuck that would take about 1/2 - 1 hour to go down and it hurt like needles in my chest but I was so adverse to throwing up I think I willed it thru. Once I threw up once it was so much better and quicker although DO NOT INTERPRET THIS IS GOOD -the throwing up is super bad and I work very hard not to do it. My doc is pretty strict if this happens i go on liquids for 24 hours and do maalox to reduce the swelling. Even if you don't feel it you have swelled up and you need to baby the band. I don't bite much anymore, I nibble food and that helps but I've learned the hard way and have had way to many pb's - it's horrible but I'm finally learning although I still mess up occassionally. Hope this NEVER happens to you.

I just received a fill on friday 2.4cc I have a 10cc band I was fine I ate a salad and sm Soup on the way home, that was about 4p.m. by 8pm I could not eat a small whole wheat cracker, and have not been able to eat for 2days, I can barely drink, the pain is pb ing I guess, and it's really hard to even swallow, my port was swollen after the fill, but it has gone down now. Has anyone had this happen? why could I eat right after and then nothing 4 hours later? Please help should I take some out of the fill?

Hi [ please check with your doctor - mine and most others have always said - liquuids only for 24 hours after a fill. It is very common for a fill to take some time to kick in - some people report a few weeks! Mine was pretty consistent from the begining and learning to eat with a fill is challenging for a lot of us. Please call doc - even if you dont feel it you are swelled up after a fill and need to rest your band/stomach. You could start a vicious cycle of pbing which you really want to avoid (throwing up). Also, my doc has always told me if I throw up/pb i am to go on liquids for 24 hours and take maalox ever 2-4 hours - so i'm not prescribing that for you - just trying to get across how serious it is. You need to heal that band/swelling before trying to eat anything but please call your doc for proper instructions for YOU. take care and good luck. mary

thank you so much for the advice, I love this sight it is so informative, I am starting to feel a little better today, although still alot of restriction, I did have Soup for lunch and I was able to keep it down, just have to remember to eat very slow. Also I was just informed that my doctor charges $500 for a fill, does anyone know any doctor in the sandiego or orange county area that does fills for less? that is california!

Sorry I don't live in California but I did want to let you know that you are not alone on the expensive fill prices. I pay $750 for a fill with fluro and $400 w/out. :) Needless to say I do NOT want a fill for a long long time. I live in Tampa, FL. Good luck with finding cheaper fills!!

~Liz~

banded 03/10/06

Dr.Ortiz

241/199/150

5'7''

Kate -- love your cros stitch work! Beautiful!! I also love cross stitching. Just can't wait to retire so that I can have more time to myself...Rachel

Kate -- love your cros stitch work! Beautiful!! I also love cross stitching. Just can't wait to retire so that I can have more time to myself...Rachel

Thank you Rachel. Stitching gives me a great deal of comfort. I can feel the day's tension draining out when I pick up my needles and floss :rockon: