Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have a date!!! Now to decide between the band or the sleeve!

I was given a surgery date of March 28th!!!! less then 10 days away and I am starting my pre op diet tomorrow.

I have been set on getting the lap band done however after reading and researching (which includes these forums) I am now really considering the sleeve also. I was always so scared of it because it is permanent but it seems that there are far less complications with it among other things. I know that there are plenty of people that get the band and experience no issues but it does seem that a good majority at some point need revisions etc..

If I had insurance that would cover the procedure I would probably definitely still go with the band because I would not mind having a revision, back and forth to the DR. trying to figure out fills (more then is to be expected) etc.. if my insurance paid for it. Unfortunately I am paying for everything out of pocket and since it looks like there is a pretty good chance that in some years down the road I will need something done in the future with the band I am leaning towards the sleeve. I know that many will not agree and that this is mostly opinion but the real fact is that if something goes wrong with the band yes it will be fixable but will I have the finances to fix it? The main issue with the sleeve would be leakage but from the figures I have seen it looks like the band and the sleeve have the same rate/percentage of a leakage.

Anyways, l may still go with the band but I am definitely weighing my options. Either way I am SOoooo excited that my surgery date is the 28th! I just called this morning and I did not expect everything to move so fast.

If anyone would like to share some links to statistics comparing the two I would love to see them. Please don't bash me though... I am truly only trying to learn and explore my options.

Check out the sister site to this one at http://www.verticalsleevetalk.com/index.php?

One thing I notice is a lot less complications posted and a lot more success stories...when you're self pay the aftercare and any problems resulting from banding can be very expensive. Best of luck to you whatever you decide!

Check out the sister site to this one at http://www.verticals....com/index.php?

One thing I notice is a lot less complications posted and a lot more success stories...when you're self pay the aftercare and any problems resulting from banding can be very expensive. Best of luck to you whatever you decide!

Thank you for the link! Someone gave it to me earlier today and I spend all day on their forum looking for complication post etc. Yes, there are many success stories but even the success stories usually experience some complications that can be fixed but without insurance it can be quite costly. Even just going back and forth with fills to find the Green zone etc. I don't know... such a hard decision to make : ) They are both wonderful options.

The sleeve is removing most of your stomach for good! The Band can be removed if be. I would never think of any other surgery but the Band and that is why I choose it and I have no regrets at all. By looking at your picture, I can see I much older than you also. You have to be comfortable with the choice. When I met with my surgeon to book the date the other person there was a 27 year old female and she was doing the sleeve the same day as me. The surgeon ran late because something was wrong with the sleeve surgery. He never said what, there are laws. I went to one of the top Boston hospitals, so things go wrong with every type of WLS. I would ask your family for advice, also. Good luck with whatever you do.

Statistically speaking, only 5% of Lap Band patients have to have their bands removed by no fault of their own. So, if you follow the rules, the chances are definitely in your favor. Here's the studies that support that statistic:

http://www.obesityla...m/statmain.html

http://www.futurity....p-band-surgery/

As far as complications, they're actually much higher and more severe with the Sleeve. Of course there's also the fact you can get the band removed but you can't get the huge hunk of stomach back that they cut out for the Sleeve.

At the end of the day, you have to do what's best for you. Just be sure to base your choice on actual facts rather than ancedotal evidence on forums or Youtube.

Best wishes

Statistically speaking, only 5% of Lap Band patients have to have their bands removed by no fault of their own. So, if you follow the rules, the chances are definitely in your favor. Here's the studies that support that statistic:

http://www.obesityla...m/statmain.html

http://www.futurity....p-band-surgery/

As far as complications, they're actually much higher and more severe with the Sleeve. Of course there's also the fact you can get the band removed but you can't get the huge hunk of stomach back that they cut out for the Sleeve.

At the end of the day, you have to do what's best for you. Just be sure to base your choice on actual facts rather than ancedotal evidence on forums or Youtube.

Best wishes

Thanks for the links. I am not only using forums for my information however I do get a lot from them. I have been looking at studies on both surgeries. When you talk about more severe complications... what complications are you referring to other then leakage? I just need to know what I should look into further.

Thanks for the links. I am not only using forums for my information however I do get a lot from them. I have been looking at studies on both surgeries. When you talk about more severe complications... what complications are you referring to other then leakage? I just need to know what I should look into further.

The mortality rate is higher for the Sleeve and the surgical complications are much higher. Post op, the Sleeve has issues with dumping and malabsorbtion, too.

The one thing in the Sleeve's favor (from my personal opinion) is if you're self pay, your costs are relatively done after surgery. With the band, your post op care costs would be a lot higher because of all the fills.

The mortality rate is higher for the Sleeve and the surgical complications are much higher. Post op, the Sleeve has issues with dumping and malabsorbtion, too.

The one thing in the Sleeve's favor (from my personal opinion) is if you're self pay, your costs are relatively done after surgery. With the band, your post op care costs would be a lot higher because of all the fills.

I will look into those things further but I have read otherwise also. Definitely looking into though. From what I understand the mortality rate is not much higher at all. Though obviously it is a riskier surgery so it is expected that it could be. As far as malnutrition .. from what I have read it is not a problem unless Vitamins are not taken as needed and that many do not need anything other then a multi Vitamin. Again... I will look into it further.

As far as the dumping from what I have read that is kind of like the people that slide their way around the band by eating sliders... more of a user complication?? Will definitely check on it also..

The other thing that I notice in all of the studies is that the Super Obese (ME) do not do so well in general with the lap band. Are success is often times calculated in a separate category much like in one of the studies in the link above. Another reason why I am questioning my options. Thanks for all the info!

I was given a surgery date of March 28th!!!! less then 10 days away and I am starting my pre op diet tomorrow.

I have been set on getting the lap band done however after reading and researching (which includes these forums) I am now really considering the sleeve also. I was always so scared of it because it is permanent but it seems that there are far less complications with it among other things. I know that there are plenty of people that get the band and experience no issues but it does seem that a good majority at some point need revisions etc..

If I had insurance that would cover the procedure I would probably definitely still go with the band because I would not mind having a revision, back and forth to the DR. trying to figure out fills (more then is to be expected) etc.. if my insurance paid for it. Unfortunately I am paying for everything out of pocket and since it looks like there is a pretty good chance that in some years down the road I will need something done in the future with the band I am leaning towards the sleeve. I know that many will not agree and that this is mostly opinion but the real fact is that if something goes wrong with the band yes it will be fixable but will I have the finances to fix it? The main issue with the sleeve would be leakage but from the figures I have seen it looks like the band and the sleeve have the same rate/percentage of a leakage.

Anyways, l may still go with the band but I am definitely weighing my options. Either way I am SOoooo excited that my surgery date is the 28th! I just called this morning and I did not expect everything to move so fast.

If anyone would like to share some links to statistics comparing the two I would love to see them. Please don't bash me though... I am truly only trying to learn and explore my options.

Well I understand what you are saying you ha e to do what's best for you. I do have insurance that covers everything for me. Let me share why I went with the band over the sleeve. The sleeve only guarantees that you will lose half of your excess weight I have a friend who had the sleeve don't get me wrong she

Looks better than she ever has. She only lost 60 lbs though and hit a plateau. She still has weight she wants to lose and she's back doing every diet under the sun to lose the remaining 50 pounds she wants to lose and it's been 3 years. She's done weight watchers, Atkins, now she's taking Alli. She even gained over the holidays and now shes trying to lose 10 additional pounds. A church member I know got the band and she lost 150 pounds in 2 years. She started at 280 now weighs130 and looks amazing! She said when she stopped losing she would just get an adjustment and it only took her 3 adjustments to get there. For me I figure if I'm going to go through surgery and all this to have a tool to help me. I want it to help me. I don't want to do that and end right back on the diet roller coaster to get the remaining weight off. I wish you the best no matter what your decision!

Well I understand what you are saying you ha e to do what's best for you. I do have insurance that covers everything for me. Let me share why I went with the band over the sleeve. The sleeve only guarantees that you will lose half of your excess weight I have a friend who had the sleeve don't get me wrong she

Looks better than she ever has. She only lost 60 lbs though and hit a plateau. She still has weight she wants to lose and she's back doing every diet under the sun to lose the remaining 50 pounds she wants to lose and it's been 3 years. She's done weight watchers, Atkins, now she's taking Alli. She even gained over the holidays and now shes trying to lose 10 additional pounds. A church member I know got the band and she lost 150 pounds in 2 years. She started at 280 now weighs130 and looks amazing! She said when she stopped losing she would just get an adjustment and it only took her 3 adjustments to get there. For me I figure if I'm going to go through surgery and all this to have a tool to help me. I want it to help me. I don't want to do that and end right back on the diet roller coaster to get the remaining weight off. I wish you the best no matter what your decision!

Sooo hard to make sense of it all! I know three people personally that have gotten the band in the past 6 years. One lost all her weight but had complications and so forth and now is almost back to her original size. The other only lost 30lbs total and is now back to her original size but never had complications other then not losing. The third has lost the weight and kept it off : ) I get that it has a lot to do with us but I do not know how strong I will be plus I look at my friends that were strong and still failed. I don't know what to think : )

I got a lot of praying to do!

The other thing that I notice in all of the studies is that the Super Obese (ME) do not do so well in general with the lap band. Are success is often times calculated in a separate category much like in one of the studies in the link above. Another reason why I am questioning my options. Thanks for all the info!

Just FYI, super obese can be as successful as you want to be with the band and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

I was SUPER obese. My BMI was 72 and I weighed over 400 pounds. Since being banded about 14 months ago I have lost almost 200 pounds and my BMI is now in the 30's. I'm still losing, too.

Just FYI, super obese can be as successful as you want to be with the band and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

I was SUPER obese. My BMI was 72 and I weighed over 400 pounds. Since being banded about 14 months ago I have lost almost 200 pounds and my BMI is now in the 30's. I'm still losing, too.

you are doing amazing! and your pictures show it too.

It's amazing how two people can read the same stuff and interpret it completely differently.

When I read the posts on the VSG site I get scared s@@tless! The complications are really horrific. They involve months in hospital, nearly dying etc. The band complications are a walk in the park in comparison.

not sure about the sleeve did not even consider it once I saw how it was done... I do have a few bypass people in my support group.. they look sickly..one lady was saying how she had pain evrytime she ate.. her hair and skin looked bad.. I think the band is safe even with some of the complications , but each person needs to determine what he/she can live with .. I am personally happy with the band and hope I continue to be successful ...

whichever you get, i wish you the best.

keep in mind, no matter what WLS, unless a mindset is changed and one changes their eating (from cheap fast food) to better quality and in the allotted amounts, it wont work.....no one is better than the other surgery.just having WLS is not a sure thing one will lose weight and never never land happens....what makes a WLS successful is the person who has it and follows the guidelines and gets on with life...