Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pattern or a Problem: Your Thoughts (long post SORRY)

Here is my "story"

04/09/2012 ~ LapBand Surgery (LapBand System AP Large; max fill volume 14 cc); surgeon FILLED 1 cc at time of surgery to "prime band"

06/06/12 ~ FILL appointment; ADD 3 cc

07/25/12 ~ FILL appointment; ADD 2 cc

09/12/12 ~ FILL appointment; ADD 0.5 cc

10/17/12 ~ FILL appointment; ADD 1.0 cc

11/28/12 ~ FILL appointment; ADD 1.0 cc

01/09/2013 ~ FILL appointment; add 1.0 cc (FIRST episode of severe reflux)

01/21/13 ~ UNFILL appointment; REMOVE 0.75 cc

02/20/13 ~ FILL appointment; ADD 2.00 cc (SECOND episode of severe reflux)

03/06/13 ~ REMOVE all Fluid from band :(

I will say that I had underlying G.I. / GERD issues prior to lap band; already had gall bladder removed; hiatal hernia repaired during lap band surgery; take prescription Nexium AND Zantac 150 daily

Cannot get to "green zone" -- my surgeon refuses to use Fluro Fills; says that the research does not support its use and there are more problems with trying to fill under flouro

I feel like I am missing a piece of the puzzle and would like your thoughts . . . especially if you are a "Lap Band Veteran" on getting to the Green Zone and leaving the Reflux behind.

Thanks

It sounds like you need some fine-tuning. I'm not experienced enough to say, of course. I had a fill last month that took me from Yellow Zone straight to Red Zone with just 1 cc. I got a 0.7 cc unfill a week later, and a 0.3 cc fill three weeks after that, and I'm not to the Green Zone yet. I think it's going to take some fiddling.

In January 2013 you added 1cc, when you had reflux you took out .75cc. Why in February, only a month later would you get 2cc more???? Seems your fills are getting too aggressive towards the end!

I agree with you LauriGee; this is when I asked my surgeon if we could use the Fluro Fill to take the "guess" work out of the amount of cc's to fill with; the end result was a lecture :(

I do not tell my surgeon how much to fill; I think they should at least ask for patient feedback; we know / listen to what our bodies and bands are telling us

I strongly believe that the band shouldn't cause us to be uncomfortable or in pain. I think your going to have to give him your feedback whether he likes it or not! Do not take acid reflux lightly! It can be very harmful! My dad passed away last year from esophageal cancer. They said the cause was from having acid reflux issues for so many years! You received 10.25cc in your 14cc band in 10 months!! That seems aggressive to me! But, I'm not a doctor. However, if it isn't working for you, maybe he needs to look closer at your chart of fills! What the problem may be seems to jump of the page as far as I'm concerned! Good Luck!

Thanks LAURIGEE, I go back to my lap band surgeon on April 6th. . . no clue what he will say or do with my now empty band ;(

As already discussed above, it concerns me greatly that you were too tight after a 1cc fill, he removed .75cc, then proceeds to add 2cc. Where in the world is the logic in that? I'm still not exactly clear why he completely unfilled you, either. I've known that happening for a slip but not just for a band too tight.

If I were in your shoes, I would be more aggressive with your surgeon. For instance, you'd be shocked how even a fill as tiny as .1cc can make a difference. I've actually had fills that small and it was the difference to put me in the Green Zone. Once you're back up to where you were as far as fill levels, I'd insist that your surgeon stops being so aggressive with the fills and starts giving you small conservative ones.

If you doctor won't work with you, remember, you are the boss. He is your employee and works for you. If he's not willing to work with you to do the job in your best interest- fire him and find a doctor who will.

Best wishes.

I agree with Missy... time for a second opinion. The fills seem overly aggressive to me.

I don't understand why your doc is so against fluroscope fills. All of my fills have been under fluro and I have never been too tight.

I agree with you DULCI; but boy when I mentioned the word "Fluro Fill" it must have a struck a nerve because he gave me one heck of a lecture.

I did request a copy of my medical records and if we can't make forward progress and get on the same page during my April visit; I also believe it is time for a second opinion / new doctor.

Thanks for the feedback guys :)

You were clearly having some kind of issue. I must say however that my doctor doesn't do fluro fills either. However I've never had any issues so I don't know if you would do 1 in that event.

"Cannot get to "green zone" -- my surgeon refuses to use Fluro Fills; says that the research does not support its use and there are more problems with trying to fill under flouro"

Well, MY research on myself, says its a GREAT idea! I cannot imagine ONE reason it could be a problem, unless of course pregnancy, etc. As far as determining if everything looks correct and restriction level, it is fantastic. Does your doctor have a fluoro machine at his practice? Has he told you any of these so called problems? I'm really not trying to be sarcastic, I'm just dumbfounded and at a loss why he/she says this. Are your fills "included" with your surgery cost by chance?

Obviously, he/she didn't get it correct during this timeframe...."01/09/2013 ~ FILL appointment; add 1.0 cc (FIRST episode of severe reflux)01/21/13 ~ UNFILL appointment; REMOVE 0.75 cc02/20/13 ~ FILL appointment; ADD 2.00 cc (SECOND episode of severe reflux)03/06/13 ~ REMOVE all Fluid from band"

CATFISH87, I simply asked my surgeon if we could please do my next fill under "Fluro Fill" and he said no, that research did not support its use; he said people had more problems with it and he refused to use it in his practice.

I have two insurance companies (mine is primary; hubby is secondary)

So, the doctor is charging $150.00 per fill; but I am not out of pocket any money on the fills.

I am about 99% sure I am changing doctors. I am going to have a serious discussion with him about all of this during my April visit.

Thank you for your input.

Good for you. I sure hope you can get some good results. You deserve them! You've been through a lot already. :)

I find for me I just have to be a little loser than tight. Once I accepted that I did much better. I also do not think there is a green zone for me.