Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No longer feeling out of control/ ready to move on...

I seem to have regained my confidence and logic again... each day is a new day; I have taken responsibility for the past and now I am moving on to better things. Like I said, it's not so much a food thing (even though it doesn't feel normal having SO much less than I'm used to after my whole life being used to eating a certain amount/way). Throughout this entire process, I have been my own motivation because my family doesn't have the desire/time/sympathy to care about what I'm going through. The average person my age would've given up a long time ago. If I happen to have ONE moment of weakness, I shouldn't freak out and reconsider the purpose in everything.

I respect what each person has to say as you've all had the surgery already, but I think you may forget your early journey as you associate it with a time where you weren't happy at all with yourself. Just makes me see this forum a little differently.

I seem to have regained my confidence and logic again... each day is a new day; I have taken responsibility for the past and now I am moving on to better things. Like I said, it's not so much a food thing (even though it doesn't feel normal having SO much less than I'm used to after my whole life being used to eating a certain amount/way). Throughout this entire process, I have been my own motivation because my family doesn't have the desire/time/sympathy to care about what I'm going through. The average person my age would've given up a long time ago. If I happen to have ONE moment of weakness, I shouldn't freak out and reconsider the purpose in everything.

I respect what each person has to say as you've all had the surgery already, but I think you may forget your early journey as you associate it with a time where you weren't happy at all with yourself. Just makes me see this forum a little differently.

I'm very, very glad in the light of a new day you're doing better!

I can only speak for myself, but believe me, I haven't forgotten how miserable I was. At all. It was only 14 months ago I was almost 200 pounds fatter in total misery both physically and emotionally. Those memories are still VERY raw and so are the scars, trust me.

See, here's the problem with forums. The only thing we have to go on is the information before us. We don't know you on a personal level so all we can do is form an opinion based on the very limited information at hand. When that information is someone saying they feel completely out of control before they even have the surgery, we worry.

It's sad but you can't imagine how many people we see on these forums that honestly should've never had the surgery. They totally self destruct in the months after surgery. We see them chowing on a foot long sub when they're supposed to be on a post op liquid diet, or they post how they're 6 months out and haven't lost a pound because they can't control their emotional eating. Because we see this happening, when someone pre-op says "I'm out of control", we suggest reevaluating themselves not to be mean or because we forgot how hard it is, but because we know the work this journey requires and we don't want to see you become another failure statistic. We would rather see you postpone your surgery and be a success.

Again, we said what we did because we DO care. We very much are here for you and want nothing but the best and success for you on your journey. I'm very glad you're feeling better and able to go forward with your surgery.

Take care.

[/quote

This forumn is a great place to hear many different experiences and ideas! Not everyone's experience or feelings are going to "hit home" with you! However, it is so awesome when someone "gets you"! It really has helped me to get back on track after gaining some weight. When I didn't visit here regularly I seemed to ignore all the little things it takes to be successful. I am one that needs a daily reminder! LOL... Don't be offended or feel judged by people's advice or opinions. I can assure you that almost everyone that visits regularly really care and want to see what's best for you! They are truly concerned! They are just thinking about the "bandster hell" that you will go through after surgery that is far worse than the pre-op stage! At that point, the lack of self control can be harmful to you and your band! Its important to get your head wrapped around why you feel like you do before the surgery! We all want what's best for you and want to see you succeed! You have to believe in yourself, only you can determine your future! Be strong and know that you won't feel this way forever! This is the dues that we have all had to pay! That's why people always stress that this is not the easy way out! However, once you work with your surgeon and nutritionist it can be much easier than anything you have done before! Good Luck and keep us posted on your progress!

I am four and a half months out and the pre-op diet was by far he hardest part of my journey so far. While I did lose 15 pounds, I was so emotional. I admit that I slept a lot during those two weeks.

When I was awake, I scoured the Internet for recipes that I could make after I have the surgery. Somehow I felt better and more prepared. I made lists and gathered recipes for the different stages.

We all know how difficult it is but somehow we made it through it. You can too!!

Sent from my iPhone using LapBandTalk

All very informative responses. I will only add that the first few days of the liquid diet was brutal for me. I felt exactley the way you did...but when I stuck to the plan and drank all the shakres required (I wasn't allowed anything other than broth and sf popsicles), I found that the panic subsided, the cravings calmed, the head hunger could be redirected. I promise that this is the hardest part.

Congrats on your commitment and your journey!

I have lost 8 lbs in 4 days!! Turns out was heavier than I thought but lost the lbs I did not know about.

I seem to have regained my confidence and logic again... each day is a new day; I have taken responsibility for the past and now I am moving on to better things. Like I said' date=' it's not so much a food thing (even though it doesn't feel normal having SO much less than I'm used to after my whole life being used to eating a certain amount/way). Throughout this entire process, I have been my own motivation because my family doesn't have the desire/time/sympathy to care about what I'm going through. The average person my age would've given up a long time ago. If I happen to have ONE moment of weakness, I shouldn't freak out and reconsider the purpose in everything.

I respect what each person has to say as you've all had the surgery already, but I think you may forget your early journey as you associate it with a time where you weren't happy at all with yourself. Just makes me see this forum a little differently.[/quote']

I have NOT forgotten my early journey. I am almost 1 year post op and I still can remember my pre op diet like it was yesterday. My pre op diet was 8 days of Clear liquids. I had NO motivational or emotional support. My own husband was ashamed of me getting banded. He said "it's the easy way out". During my 8 day liquid per op diet, he would cook my favorite meals and bring me a plate. He would bring me a tall iced glass of Pepsi. He was trying to sabotage me. It was so bad that my 10 year daughter came to me crying one day and said "why is daddy being so mean to you". I am proud to say that I made it through my pre op diet and months of "banister hell" all while my very own husband tried to sabotage me. I was able to make it because of my mindset. I was DETERMINED!!!!!!!. The members that responded to your post can relate to you because they have been through what you are going through. WE HAVE NOT FORGOT. I praise God for this forum because of the support and honesty. If you want to be successful with your band, your head gotta be in the game. After 11 months, I still have to keep my mind in check. Good luck with your journey.

I have lost 8 lbs in 4 days!! Turns out was heavier than I thought but lost the lbs I did not know about.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!! I look forward to hearing more about your success. Whoop Whoop!!!!!