Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was banded June 2012 and have only lost 35 lbs. This was accomplished by my will power alone because I'm always hungry. I've tweaked the amount of fill I have over and over but I've never found the so called green zone. I just don't have the will power anymore. I was never good at dieting and that's all this band is. I envy the people on here who can barely finish a cup of food. I feel so sad and I'm such a failure. Worst of all, I'm a self pay so I'm out $16,000. I went to my regular doctor today and got a prescription for Phentermine. Maybe now I'll lose some weight.

You were banded when, how many fills and how much is in your band??? What size band? Have you ever experienced getting stuck..sliming..etc???

I have absolutely no will power either.....None..nada..Zip!!

I was banded June 2012 and have only lost 35 lbs. This was accomplished by my will power alone because I'm always hungry. I've tweaked the amount of fill I have over and over but I've never found the so called green zone. I just don't have the will power anymore. I was never good at dieting and that's all this band is. I envy the people on here who can barely finish a cup of food. I feel so sad and I'm such a failure. Worst of all, I'm a self pay so I'm out $16,000. I went to my regular doctor today and got a prescription for Phentermine. Maybe now I'll lose some weight.

you are not a failure that i can promise...please dont think that.

so do you have any fills?

do you eat your allotted amount of food?

do you eat Protein filled foods?

do you take in more cals then you burn off?

i think losing (only 35) pounds is good..its great.

can you see a nutritionist or go for a fill?

many options out there, which are you gonna chose?

my band (and i have no fills) makes me feel full so i know it helps me.

i sure wish you felt the same. i am sorry i cant say anything to make you feel better.

You have lost 35 that is good. I was banded the same time you were and I only lost 53. I am not sure what weight you started out at, but the smaller you are at the start the slower the weight comes off.

Before you give up I would really advise you talk to your doctor and or nutritionist and get some advise from them. It's not all about the band, it is also about what you eat (eating filling foods). If you are doing everything right, then maybe the doctor will want to check your band to make sure there isn't a problem with that.

Don't give up until you have explored a little deeper.

You say you have "tweaked" the amount of fill you have... tweaking is what you do when you're very close to the green zone. Sounds like you're nowhere near the green zone. Every doctor is different, and some are EXTREMELY conservative with fills (I think these type are more interested in your money than your health).

I am still trying to find the green zone after having surgery to repair my band in November. My first fill was 2 cc's; my second fill was 2 cc's; (still zero restriction); my third fill was 1.2 cc's (just starting to feel some restriction); just had .5 cc's this week and I'm getting close to the green zone in a 10 cc band.

I know if you're self-pay it must be very frustrating to spend all that money to get to the green zone, but if you don't ever get there, yes, the $16 k was a waste. Hang in there and keep trying. It's worth it eventually. And if your doctor is one of those very conservative with fills, try looking for another doctor.

I agree with what Im reading above, you've not gotten to proper restriction YET. No reason to give up....unless you want to.

If you're "always hungry", and if your current doctor won't get you that level of restriction that WILL get rid of that feeling, I think it is time to be looking for a new doctor.

The more I read and learn, and experience, the more I don't understand why some doctors are so conservative with fills. (after the initial healing process)

If we were good at dieting, why would we get the band???

Never give up! Never ever give up! You are worth it!

Wow! I was banded in '06 and I refuse to give up! I paid 17,500 for my surgery out of pocket! You haven't even given it a year! The first month is recovering, the second month is when you usually get your first fill and you can't expect real restriction yet. So in reality you have only been using your band for a few months! In those 7 months or less you have lost and maintained 35 pounds. That's over a pound a week! What would you feel would be considered success? Just curious! You sound successful to me! I don't think you've given it enough time to find proper restriction!!! Don't give up!!!

here's an interesting short version of my story, i was banded in 2009 and had a 14cc band. I had mine adjusted to 14cc and still felt no restriction. After many tests and barium swallows, finally found out in 2012 that the band was never AROUND my stomach.... It was not eroded or slipped, it was just simply placed around a piece of fat tissue and NEVER around my actually stomach!!!! ridiculous you say? i thougt so too.

I'm so thankful that my current surgeon discovered this, because even with the normal xrays, it was almost impossible to tell the band was placed incorrectly. So i had my surgery redone, and FINALLY restriction =D

OMG

I'm totally gobsmacked. That is unbelievable!

My first band wasn't connected to the tubing. Please have your doctor do a barium swallow to see if there may be some sort of a problem. Maybe you have a leak, who knows, but get it checked out.