Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just had an unfill..advice please!

Had a bad stuck episode/pb-ing on Saturday, followed by bad reflux at night, and every night since. I also have had trouble keeping down any solid or mushy foods. liquids go down, but I definitely feel resistance.

Worried, I went to my doctors office today and the PA did an unfill, taking out 2 of my 5ccs. The last time I had a fill was in May, so I know I wasn't suddenly overfilled. She suggested that I irritated my pouch/esophagus and that the unfill, followed by two days of liquids only, then soft foods, and finally solids on Sunday. I am also getting an Upper GI swallow test done and coming back in 3 weeks.

What's bothering me now is that although I'm feeling immediate relief from the difficulty swallowing I was experiencing before, I'm worried that this much of an unfill will lead to some weight gain over the next three weeks, and it's really causing me anxiety! Anyone have a similar experience? Any advice?

I had a total unfill in August for emergency surgery and wasn't back to where I was again until late October. So, yes, I've been there.

I still lost weight during that time between August and October, but I also stuck to my daily calorie allowance and 1 cup or less of food per meal. You will likely be more hungry but if you don't want to gain (or even still lose) you'll have to be careful to stick to your calories and portions despite the band not being at optimal fill.

Just think of it as going back to bandster hell temporarily. It may get a little rough but keep doing the right thing and it will pass without damage.

Best wishes.

Yes I have gone through this problem about 3 times in the last two years. I gained weight because I could eat what I had been missing because of the unfill. But when I got filled again I relost and then had to get unfilled again and gained again. Like Mis73 said, you don't have to gain if you stick to your diet regime. I gained because I didn't. Big difference. It's all up to you. Good luck.

had a totally unfill today for the same reason u said in your post. Doc said If I throw up once call our band get tight for so many reason so not to think that you been going great for weeks so nothing can get tighter it can and if you have relex or back pain and bra level its the band and call right away. I wont let it go again but I thought I had a stomach virus the kids had but wont do that again..now I have to wait three wks and see how it is.

Thanks for all the replies--definitely helps to know others are or have been in similar situations. I guess I shouldn't really worry too much, as long as I stick to the rules like I have been all along.

In my experience, I have been stuck many times...in the beginning that is when I was just leaning....I did not run and complain to the Dr.....I took it as a lesson I needed to learn to adjust my eating, what and how I was eating.....

Yes, I would take it easy...then continue with some behavior modification on my part...if I did not, I would get stuck again....no reason to complain to the Dr. if it was I who was the cause of the problem...it was I who needed to change, not the band.....

In other words, I always looked at this as something I was doing wrong, and blamed myself...NOT the band...I'm glad I did it this way, I don't think I would ever have reached the place I am at now if I kept blaming the band, getting unfilled....and not adapting to the band and changing my life style...for good!!!

The band is not for everybody....or at least, it is adjustable and you do have the choice to "Use It" as little or as much as you want....just don't become one of those who say the band does not work.....it does work...it is us who don't comply....

I have had friends/relatives that I have told that I am not sure the band is for them...I know them and how the are...WHIMPS...and they would not last the first 6 months and become a constant complainer.....never being able to change....

Yes, there can be a point where the band is too tight, and you start to drift into the red zone...but I did not believe that was the case so early on ...now, with 7cc;s in my band, and being i the Green Zone for so long, I can recognize exactly when and IF I were to go into the Red....

For me, the band IS NOT a TOOL.....a tool is something I can use...or choose not to use if I so desire....I my case, the Band s totally in charge, I do not have the choice to eat wrong, I do not have the choice to over eat....I do not see how it is possible for me to "Fall off the wagon" and "Need to get back on Track" as though I was on some self discipline diet...

If the band were a tool, then I can do with it as I wish...but for me it is the other way around.....the band is in charge of Me! I do not have the options of doing bad things with it....

But getting there is/was not easy...and I have told may it is not for everybody....when I was still learning, I got stuck as many as 2-4 times a day on occasion...because I did not want to, or had a hard time changing what and how I ate....

But I am so glad I finally got through it and came out the other side a changed person, with a new lifestyle.....if I had gotten in-filled, I do not think I ever would have learned those lessons....I would have stuck with my old ways, beaten down the band and putting myself and my bad habits in charge of the "tool"

I've definitely experienced my fair share of stuck episodes, pb-ing, and vomiting, especially early on. It's definitely a learning experience, no matter how motivated you are to stick to the diet or follow the rules -- I didn't become overweight from eating healthy and exercising, that's for sure! Lol

The reason this time was different, at least for me, is because I've never had a time where it was hard for me to even keep liquids down. I've irritated my pouch before and had to keep off solid foods for a day or two until it calmed down, but Protein shakes and Water were never a problem. I wouldn't quite say I ran to the doctor at the first sign of trouble, but I didn't want to risk there being a serious complication and ignoring it...the band has changed my life, or rather I have changed my life, by getting the band and making it work.

I definitely understand what you said about blaming the band, or people saying it didn't work for them. I don't blame the band if I get sick, since its my responsibility to make the right choices about what I put into my body. Having the band is not easy, and we all know that, or learn it the hard way.

I'm not sure I needed to be unfilled, but as far as that is concerned, I trust my doctor, and I want to make sure I do everything I can to keep my band and my body in good shape...which is kind of ironic since the only shape I use to be was round, haha.

I'm going to continue eating the same way I have been, with portioning out my food, eating small bites, and eating slowly...just because my band is looser does not mean anything has changed...I know that, I just think the idea of backsliding scares me.

I've definitely experienced my fair share of stuck episodes, pb-ing, and vomiting, especially early on. It's definitely a learning experience, no matter how motivated you are to stick to the diet or follow the rules -- I didn't become overweight from eating healthy and exercising, that's for sure! Lol

The reason this time was different, at least for me, is because I've never had a time where it was hard for me to even keep liquids down. I've irritated my pouch before and had to keep off solid foods for a day or two until it calmed down, but Protein shakes and Water were never a problem. I wouldn't quite say I ran to the doctor at the first sign of trouble, but I didn't want to risk there being a serious complication and ignoring it...the band has changed my life, or rather I have changed my life, by getting the band and making it work.

I definitely understand what you said about blaming the band, or people saying it didn't work for them. I don't blame the band if I get sick, since its my responsibility to make the right choices about what I put into my body. Having the band is not easy, and we all know that, or learn it the hard way.

I'm not sure I needed to be unfilled, but as far as that is concerned, I trust my doctor, and I want to make sure I do everything I can to keep my band and my body in good shape...which is kind of ironic since the only shape I use to be was round, haha.

I'm going to continue eating the same way I have been, with portioning out my food, eating small bites, and eating slowly...just because my band is looser does not mean anything has changed...I know that, I just think the idea of backsliding scares me.

It's always, always better to turn to your doctor for advice than just assume. Obviously, if the doctor gave you an unfill then you were too tight. This is the smart thing to do and please don't let anyone make you question that or tell you otherwise. You did the right thing.

Walking around too tight is the leading cause of slips- and too many people around here do exactly that. Years down the road they will wonder why their band has to be removed from severe erosion and slips.

You're doing great and don't let anyone make you question that or decision. :)