Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

losing too much before the med eval

Hi guys, I am not banded yet, but already have my preD packet put together and have been scheduled for the last step before I get an answer from my insurance company, medical mutual.

My medical evaluation is on May 8th (put on a month wait after I had gathered my information!) At the moment I weigh 250 pounds and I have rheumatoid arthritis, PCOS, and high sugar. I recently purchased an elliptical machine -- the best of the best, and I absolutely love it. My weight has always been up and down

what I am concerned about, is losing too much weight for the medical evalutation. My question is - what do they look at more, your current weight, or your weight history? For instance, If I weight 235 on may the 8th would that disqualify me for the surgery?

What would you guys do? Not use the elliptical, or use it?

I weighed 232. At the eval I weighed 225. I was worried. The psych person said the insurance company looked at BMI. If your BMI is lower than 40, you probably need some co-morbidities. (That's sick:omg: . Needing co-morbidities!!!) However, the Dr. only required a BMI of 30. So, depending on your circumstances, you may be OK.

Good luck

Chabutter,

What kind of elliptical machine did you purchase? I have been looking at them for awhile and want to make a decision before I get my band.

PJ

Insurance companies look at diet history, medical conditions and BMI. If they see you have had successful weight losses but have been unable to keep the weight off, you've cleared step one. If you have a medical condition that is causing you to be obese that is treatable (thyroid disease, etc), the insurance company will want to try medical/drug management and will deny the request. If you have a BMI of 35 - 39 with no co-morbidities (arthritis, diabetes, sleep apnea, etc.) you might be denied. I would check with your MD to be sure what's in your best interests.

They look at your history, but they really do look at your current status. It is a catch 22. They will not cover it if you show that you are successfully losing weight. Some of the 6 month diet requirements are like that. They want to see you do it all on your own.

Hi Busywomen. I bought the Ironman 2006 Evolution elliptical off of overstock.com and i saved HUNDREDS of dollars plus shipping was two bucks!! It was worth every penny if you want to get an elliptical and you weight more than 225 pounds (and you dont have 3000.00)

I had made the mistake of getting a two hundre ddollar one and it made my knees swell up with Fluid. On this one you can do whatever program, and its all electronic (the resistance especially) I love it

Insurance companies are in business to make money. They will twist whatever information you give them to deny your claim. That's what they do.

Here's MY recommendation (feel free to disregard if it doesn't suit your palate): find out what the insurance BMI requirement is - co-morbidities or not. Diet and exercise if you want, but be sure your weight when you visit your doctor equals whatever the insurance company requires it to be for approval - EVEN IF IT MEANS WEARING YOUR HEAVIEST CLOTHES AND SHOES AND PUTTING WEIGHTS IN YOUR POCKETS AND UNDERWEAR!

OK, your doctor can't fudge the facts, it's against the law - but what your doctor doesn't know won't kill him/her and it very well might kill you. That's why I say do what you have to do to get what you know you need.

I know, I live for melodrama but sometimes melodrama is a useful asset!

Ok stupid question, but what does an elliptical machine do and what does it work, is it worth the money? I have a crosstrainer something or other Treadmill, but want to add something to my routine.

Im going to look it up now but someone who has one might know more than a description can tell me.

Thanks

an elliptical machine is a cardio fitness machine like a treadmill, however you dont have to pick up your legs to run. It has two feet, and an arm gear that goes back and forth. You can set it to "run" your favorite routine, hills, intervals, weightloss etc. Its a lot of fun, and if you have arthritis, you can get a good one, and it will take the strain and stress off of your body. It has a low perceived exhaustion rate

Thanks Chabutter, I finally looked it up.

That sounds like what I need to maybe help with the shin splints from running.

Any good brands/names I need to look for?