Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New to the site but banded 2 years

Wish I would have discovered this site 2 years ago! March 21 will be 2 years for my band. I was 10 pounds from my goal weight November 2011- 7 months after surgery and then I think I hit a psychological wall of fear. The initial weight seem to come off without much effort. Great yes but not. Had many compliments then started hearing you are not looking healthy, you are getting to thin to having my first bad experience with an overfill. The overfill was a horrible experience and I thought it would get better but waited 2 weeks to decide something is wrong. Two things happened- they removed all the Fluid and I was afraid to eat solids for fear of becoming stuck or in unbearable pain and not even able to keep down liquids. So where am I know? 15 pounds from pre-surgery weight. Still down 50 pounds from approval weight which is great but disappointed in myself for the failure. The one thing that they stressed is that the band is a tool not a cure. Have to say with the initial success the band was the cure!

I am trying to get back on track but having a hard time. Not sure if it is fear failure or guilt. Guilt from those supported and made the band possible and fear of disappointing them again or Guilt from those that say how hard they a trying to loss weight, exercising and dieting but not losing. I know the band is not the easy way out or the cure but still feel guilty. I know- big head games.

I am hoping I am not the only one to face these issues but I do know I have the tendency to be the odd ball in a group (in a funny light hearted way). Has anyone else faced similar situations? If so what was your break through moment? I am not creative with meals and am a definite grab and run type of eater and many times miss meals because I get so caught up in my job that I lose track of time. It takes a lot of commitment but having a hard time finding that spark.

If nothing else it feels good getting this out especially with others my know what I am dealing with. Prior to the band I was one of those that said how could a person not be thankful for weight loss surgery just to through it all away by gain the weight back! Eat my words now.

So thank you for the opportunity to release this frustration.

Shoffman1013

I can relate. I've been at a standstill since Aug-Sept 2012. Not following the rules completely even though I know what I need to do. I haven't really gained any weight back just because I'm still eating healthy. My wife is on this paleo/health food kick so that's helped me to maintain. I think it's important to stay away from buying and consuming foods that cheat the band's effect. Slider foods!

It may have been a while since you visited with a nutritionist but I think you should consider a visit? Usually insurance will cover this and if not it's just $50 or so? Start eating healthy to begin with, add some exercise and make a commitment and short term goals. Good luck.

tmf

I can also relate. I have been in a standstill since Sept 2012. I got frustrated and started cheating my band. I also started eating bigger meals. Boy did I do it up New Year's weekend with fried foods and LOTS of libations. I was eating like I didn't have the band. My "break through moment" was around the 3rd week in Jan. I have not been on this site in months and one day I got on it and was reading the success stories. I thought wow , that could of been me. I did not spend all this money , have surgery, and do all this work just a fail. did not visit my surgeon in 4 months because his office is very far from where I live and his office hours conflicts with my work schedule.

Continued.... I finally went to see my surgeon on Feb 18 for a much needed fill. He was not mad at me like I thought he would be because I lost the extra weight during the month I waited for my appt. Since then, I am on FIRE!!!! I will not, can not fail. I am working with my tool and not against it. STOP feeling guilty and stop beating yourself up. That will only keep you defeated. Forgive yourself. Leave your pass in the pass and move forward. It is never to late to start over.

Thank you for the words of encouragement. I have to learn it is not an all or nothing situation but one that takes time and discipline. Slider foods have been an issue. One that I do need to cut down and replace with the good food.

Glad I stumbled on this site and being able to read and discuss this with others.

Thank you

Being a yo yo weight since I was a teenager, I found the key thing I need to tell my mindset is taking time to look after myself. Each time i put the weight back on, ive found ive been so busy ive put other people or demands ahead if my own.

when i think of the need to put me and my health as a priority, i think of the need to prepare more of my meals myself, getting my exercise in, buying the more expensive dinner or ingredients and taking a moment out to relax is when I've been at my healthiest. I have a very stressful job, that leads to lots of travel, hotel food and late nights, but realised I have to be a tad selfish and put my needs first. Surprisingly being more balanced in work, exercise and nutrition helps me focus at work, with the level of respect from colleagues also improving when I have other pursuits.

Wish I would have discovered this site 2 years ago! March 21 will be 2 years for my band. I was 10 pounds from my goal weight November 2011- 7 months after surgery and then I think I hit a psychological wall of fear. The initial weight seem to come off without much effort. Great yes but not. Had many compliments then started hearing you are not looking healthy, you are getting to thin to having my first bad experience with an overfill. The overfill was a horrible experience and I thought it would get better but waited 2 weeks to decide something is wrong. Two things happened- they removed all the Fluid and I was afraid to eat solids for fear of becoming stuck or in unbearable pain and not even able to keep down liquids. So where am I know? 15 pounds from pre-surgery weight. Still down 50 pounds from approval weight which is great but disappointed in myself for the failure. The one thing that they stressed is that the band is a tool not a cure. Have to say with the initial success the band was the cure!

I am trying to get back on track but having a hard time. Not sure if it is fear failure or guilt. Guilt from those supported and made the band possible and fear of disappointing them again or Guilt from those that say how hard they a trying to loss weight, exercising and dieting but not losing. I know the band is not the easy way out or the cure but still feel guilty. I know- big head games.

I am hoping I am not the only one to face these issues but I do know I have the tendency to be the odd ball in a group (in a funny light hearted way). Has anyone else faced similar situations? If so what was your break through moment? I am not creative with meals and am a definite grab and run type of eater and many times miss meals because I get so caught up in my job that I lose track of time. It takes a lot of commitment but having a hard time finding that spark.

If nothing else it feels good getting this out especially with others my know what I am dealing with. Prior to the band I was one of those that said how could a person not be thankful for weight loss surgery just to through it all away by gain the weight back! Eat my words now.

So thank you for the opportunity to release this frustration.

Shoffman1013

I can't comment on your situation b/c I have not experience it, but I did want to welcome you to the site. I was told by my bariatric team that more ppl succeed with this surgery when attending some kind of support group. So I'm glad you're here.

I have lost 100 lbs twice pre banding and can't believe I had gained it all back and then some, so that part I do understand.

Don't beat yourself up. The best part of being banded is you can start over. You know where you made your mistakes (sliders), so I'm sure you'll not do that so much.

This whole WLS has a huge learning curve and supporting each other helps.

So my suggestion would be to start all over like you just got your band, if your dealing with head hunger, come talk it out here or find a good therapist that can help you work that out.

We're all in this together. We can do it!

Thank you. Having the support is great. Sense of accountability and also is nice. I live 50 miles to the closet band support group so this is wonderful!!!

Thanks for the encouragement!!!

Thank you. Having the support is great. Sense of accountability and also is nice. I live 50 miles to the closet band support group so this is wonderful!!!

Thanks for the encouragement!!!

Maybe you could ask the band support group that is so far away if they will help you organize one closer to your location. I'd be willing to bet you're not the only one so far from a group and you may find a good group of people willing to help keep a small support group going. It's worth a try.