Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A friend of ours is taking Phentermine 37.5 mg.

Ive looked this up and seen some things that are like other diet pills - symptoms etc.

Anyone ever taken this before or after being banded?

Good or bad side effects?

I want to try something for the next month while waiting for my surgery and maybe have something for after if I have a problem with appetite.

Yep - I took them when they were the phen-fen diet. Then I took just the phentermine alone and couldn't take it because it made me too jittery. If you need to get a bunch of house cleaning done - that's the ticket. It's one heck of a speed pill. Yes, it did keep me from eating... just couldn't sleep either so had to stop taking them.

Thanks Kim

that sounds like what I need. I am eating right and exercising enough, just tired and starve alot from the shakes and salads.

Im lucky to get 5-6 hours sleep and the yard needs weeding, so I will get some and start on my outside now lol

I was just never crazy about the heart damage side effects caused by phen-fen and feel fortunate to have not had them. I still worry about them coming out with side effects of the stand alone phentermine in a few years. They have been on the market a good many years though... so who knows!?!

I took that medication when I was doing a medically supervised fast. It worked kind of, but in the long run, it's not worth the side-effects (pulmonary edema and death being just a couple of them). My Primary Care Physician at the time advised me to get off of them ... this was BEFORE all the lawsuits came down the pike because of all the bad effects. My advice is don't ... the risks simply are not worth it.

Patlong, how long were you on them? I don't think for 1 month that there would be any long term effects - I read they are supposed to be used for no more than 8-12 weeks.

Can the side-efects you speak of be for long term use or short term also?

With any type of medication, prescription or otherwise there are risks and side effects. I always try to do research to begin with, and then make an informed decision.

Im in a vicious cycle - eating right and exercising but exercising makes me starve - to lose weight before my banding I have to exercise and around and around I go lol

Thanks for the info :(

I vote no to Phentermine also. I took one several years ago (the lowest dose) and my blood pressure (which was normal then) soared and my heart rate went from the 60's to 120! I felt dizzy, short of breath and had some mild chest pain. The following day I flushed the pills.< /span>

If you're going to try this drug, do it under the supervision of your MD and make sure you're not alone when you take the first dose in case you react badly and need to be brought to the ER.

I'm confused!!:omg: Isn't the whole idea of getting the band so you don't need to take phentermine anymore. I just stopped taking it, thinking I'll have the band in a couple of months and that's all I'll ever need. I couldn't sleep at all at night when I took it!:angry

I have used it on and off for years. I now only use them on weekends occasionally when I have more unscheduled time. That is dangerous for me. I like the effect. It gives me much needed energy, but I know that if I take them too much that the effects are diminished.. My only side effect is that I don't sleep as deeply as I usually do.

It's a dangerous drug. Along with never sleeping, dry mouth, non-stop talking and being jittery I got serious heart problems to go along with it. It isn't worth the risk.

I hate Phentermine!! I was a crazy woman on them. I couldn't handle all the jittery, high feelings & I was always on edge. It changed my personality. And, once you get off of them you gain back all you weight and more!! Yuck!! I'd rather be fat then have to take those again.

Imt33167 .. I was on the Phentermine for almost 8 months; it's true about the jittery feelings, and the heart racing ... all in all it wasn't a pleasant experience. Yes, I did loose weight, about 100 lbs all total on the (while on the fast, and taking the drug combo Phen-fen); but when I got off the medication, as well as the fast, it all came back with a vengance; I gained back the 100 I had lost and additional 50. Just don't do it ... if you're thinking about the pre-weight loss for the Lap-Band, there must be a safer way to do; trust me, this isn't it! The "sick" feeling you get when you're taking the medication just isn't worth it.

Thanks all, wasn't sure about this stuff - my friend hasn't had any problems and I just wanted to try it for one month before my surgery, unless my surgery date is rescheduled again.

Im in a vicious cycle - eating right and exercising. Exercising makes me starve - to lose weight before my banding I have to exercise and around and around I go lol I am losing but could lose more if I weren't so hungry.

I saw on another thread that exercise is an appetite suppresant for some, not for me. I drink 80+ ounces of Water daily, no sugar stuff and 50-60 carbs only.

I have been on them many times. Every time I lost, I regained and then some.

I was wondering about the same thing - phentormine and the band?

MelAnne, looks like from responses this drug is a not a thing to do.

There was something on another thread - still can't remember the name of it that someone was trying - maybe make a thread and ask about it?