Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am two weeks post op and I graduated to mushy foods. Tonight after I ate i feel like my food is still sitting right at my throat. Is that what being stuck is? Im not sure if I ate to fast or if I just didn't chew enough

A little bit of both I would say.... Please remember to eat S. L. O. W. and stop before you are "full".

This is going to take time to get used to. If you are "stuck" then that also means that you are unable to get any other food or liquid down. It's a literal meaning to the word. When I get stuck, it's bc I ate too fast. Usually walking helps me relieve the pressure and somehow makes the food pass. Just be conscious, small bites, chew chew chew, and go slow! You should be fine! Good luck!

Later on you might find that getting stuck is more serious. For most of us it's like a golf ball size swelling just under our sternum. It can be mildly painful depending on your pain tolerance. But for me, it's just very uncomfortable and lasts about 15-45 minutes.

Usually it's caused by solid foods not passing through your stoma(band) causing food to back up in your esophogus. Then you slime(saliva like junk) and hopefully some of it comes up?

tmf

as for me 2muchfun summed it up, I do the same, with the exception of broccoli one night I was stuck on a tiny piece of that stuff for 5 hrs, it was horrible and very painful till finally I got on here at 2:30 am and someone on here told me what to do to get it up and I did it and it came flying up and out, thank God! Needless to say I haven't had broccoli since, lol. My stuck episodes lasts anywhere from a few mins to 45 mins at best. Hope you feel better. Take it easy on your band for 24 hrs.

Thanks for all of the info! I know this is going to be a learning process too so hopefully I learned something last night. I have to slow down and chew better.

as for me 2muchfun summed it up' date=' I do the same, with the exception of broccoli one night I was stuck on a tiny piece of that stuff for 5 hrs, it was horrible and very painful till finally I got on here at 2:30 am and someone on here told me what to do to get it up and I did it and it came flying up and out, thank God! Needless to say I haven't had broccoli since, lol. My stuck episodes lasts anywhere from a few mins to 45 mins at best. Hope you feel better. Take it easy on your band for 24 hrs.[/quote']

What did you do to get it up??

What did you do to get it up??

someone on here finally told me to take a sip of Sprite or carbonated drink so I did and the fizz brought it up, it worked. I immediately threw it up. Talk about relief. I was stuck for 5 hrs with that piece of broccoli and in so much pain.

i was stuck once the frist week on egg well now chew and rest chew and rest i have always been a fast eater so this is really been a lot to learn

well you have your frist stuck you will know it and i think it happens to every one so just remember you can still breathe and you dont need to call 911 or panic its very hard for me to stay CLAM AT THAT FEELING but i did i have had small stucks but not to bad i really make sure i dont eat any thing thats to big of a bite join the stuck club hahahah