Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Annoyed at loose skin comments

I've been fairly open about having WLS, although not as open as everyone I've told has been, and I've had at least five comments before or after surgery about what I'm going to do about all the loose skin. I have been really insulted by this - I'm not even there yet, but I feel like they are essentially commenting on how big I am. My reply has always been, "I just want to look good WITH clothes on" and leave it at that, but I'm pissed off that people feel free to speculate about my future naked body and want to know my plan for dealing with the "shrinkles."

Has anyone else had to deal with these comments?

Yes, I have had to deal with it and it's infuriating and insulting.

And yes, being as I've lost almost 200 pounds in 14 months, I do have a ton of excess skin that I will have to get removed.

What I tell people is this: I can easily hide excess skin under my clothes. There is no way I could hide almost 200 pounds of fat . I'll take the excesses skin over the fat any day.

Best wishes.

Excess skin won't kill me, carrying all that excess weight would have. I'd rather than be alive in a loose coat than dead in a well fitted (over stretched) one!

I find this question funny too. A few people have asked me similiar questions. Really? My BMI would have eventually killed me...and you want to know about how I'm gonna feel about loose skin? Ugh!

How about- "when the time comes that will be a discussion between me and my doctor". And then don't say any more about it.

well, its based on age, the amount of weight, your skin and how elastic it is, your heritage..so many factors....if you lose slow, it may help with sagginess but saggy skin is part of losing weight...you can tone and exercise to help and then there is always surgery to help.....but i will take some saggy over a scale number of 300+

A good friend asked me the loose skin question. My answer was... "I'm just trying to live long enough to be at my son's wedding and college graduation. If I have some loose skin on those days I still think its better than being in the ground being eaten by bugs. But, that's just me.". LOL He said "yeah that's a good point"

People in our society are so stuck on appearance instead of health. With that being said I FULLY support ANYONE who wants to get their loose skin removed! Hopefully one day I will have lost enough weight to have to consider it!

I think it's hilarious that they think we would rather have plump fat unhealthy bodies than skinny healthy bodies with some extra skin. Who cares what they think! It's our bodies!!! Unless they are you or married to you and have to look at you it's none of their business. Plus there is always plastic surgery which I had too!!! Lol

I find it funny that, in my world, I get asked this by "normal body weight" people. No fat person has asked me this...lol.