Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do I make butternut squash fries?

Today I saw on TV someone making Butternut Squash Baked Fries. I wasn't paying close enough attention to the recipe, I missed it.

I've heard of folks making sweet potato fries, which sounds great, but I really want to try it with butternut.

Can someone fill me in on how to make squash fries? It must be the same as with sweet potato, but don't know how to do that either. :o

Help???

I found a simple recipe online.

1. preheat oven to 425

2. peel squash and then cut into sticks

3. arrange on baking sheet and season with salt

4. bake for 20 minutes, turning fries over halfway through

5. fries are done when edges are brown and crispy

This is very basic and I would drizzle a little olive oil on them first.

p.s. Oh and I love your sig.

They are soooooo hard to peal. :(

I haven't made the fries but I make butternut squash almost every night. I hate cooked veggies but love this. I buy the cubed butternut and put some olive oil and Splenda brown sugar in a pan and mix them together. I then put in the squash and put in the oven on 400-450 for about 20 minutes and take them out and mix around in the mixture and put back in the oven until well cooked and gooey. It is really good. I make about 6-8 pieces of squash for me , they shrink a lot when cooked this way.

Enjoy!

Bake-tastic Butternut Squash Fries

Total Time:

1 hr 5 min

Prep

25 min

Cook

40 min

Yield:

1 serving

Ingredients

1 butternut squash (large enough to yield 1 pound once peeled and sliced)

1/8 teaspoon coarse salt, plus more, optional

ketchup, as dip, optional

Directions

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.

Peel squash with a vegetable peeler. Slice the ends off the squash, and then cut it in half width-wise. Cut the round bottom piece in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds.

Using a crinkle cutter or a knife, carefully cut squash into spears or French-fry shapes. Thoroughly blot moisture away with paper towels, and sprinkle evenly with salt.

Spray a broiler pan, a baking rack placed over a baking sheet, or a baking sheet with nonstick spray, and then place spears flat on it.

Bake in the oven 20 minutes, and then carefully flip spears. Continue to bake until tender on the inside and crispy on the outside, about 20 minutes longer.

Serve with ketchup for dipping, if using. Enjoy!

PER SERVING (entire recipe): 204 calories, less than1g fat, 258mg sodium, 53g carbs, 9g Fiber, 10g sugars, 4g Protein

Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bake-tastic-butternut-squash-fries-recipe/index.html?oc=linkback

sounds like a plan

You can pretty much do the same with eggplant and zucchini and they're a lot better than they sound

As for spicing them up I use season salt and cinnamon. Add cayenne for extra kick.

They are soooooo hard to peal. :(

On the show, the woman said they're easier to peel if you nuke it for 10-15 seconds. Don't know if this is true, but that's what she said.

Good luck!

You can pretty much do the same with eggplant and zucchini and they're a lot better than they sound

LOL, bad enough I like butternut squash (it's good for me, oh no!) but Eggplant and Zucchini....hale no!

Being a Bandster, you learn to like veggies, but after 5 years of trying, there are some I still will not eat! I'm such a little kid...