Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Alcohol and the band

Not really a big drinker so I don't worry about this too much. More or less curious. . . Alcohol and the band? Do they get along? Clearly not carbonation but at what point if any should alcohol be aloud? How much? What kind? It freaks me out to think about even tryin this for some reason?! Am I wrong? Thanks guys.

Your Dr's advice may vary, but mine has not problem with it. I usually have 1 or 2 ounces of alcohol in the evening. Currently my drink of choice is Irish Whiskey on he rocks, although once in a while I will make a margarita.

Remember, alcohol is a liquid calorie, make sure to count them.

Every doctor has different opinions on that. One drink occasionally should be fine. Account for the calories by eating lighter throughout the day or getting extra exercise. Be mindful it will affect you more post weight loss.

I actually had not had alcohol at all after my surgery, until I was in Brazil last week and tried a caipirinha. Life is for living!

Wine is just fine but only in limited quantities. Like Terry said, they're liquid calories. I had to give up wine and beer 5 days a week before I started to lose weight. And of course, alcohol will lower your inhibitions so it's easier to binge if you drink too much.

tmf

Thanks guys. I appreciate all the info. I love having my questions answered by people who have "been there, done that"!!

I just had my first alcoholic drink since pre op diet. I had two glasses of wine at a tavern grand opening this past weekend. I had eaten but what I didn't expect is that I was almost fall down drunk on those two glasses. Now I used to be able to throw down shots with the best of them and hold my own. I don't know if it had to do with being banded or that I haven't had any alcohol in two months but WOW! I won't be doing that again too soon! :-)

How long ago were you banded? I have been told that very similar story from other bandsters :)

Not too long...12/21/12.

You look great and I hope you feel even better :)

Well thank you! I do feel great and I'm just trucking along!

Banded 1/31 and had my first glass of wine this past weekend, no issues at all. Didnt notice feeling any different

It's normal for alcohol tolerance to drop with weightloss. My understanding is also that the problem with alcohol is that it's liquid calories so it will generally slow weightloss and in excess it can affect our ability to at attention to what we eat and could lead to vomiting which is especially bad for bandsters. Once you're on normal food having a single drink of hard liquor or wine a night should be fine and there is research to show it is healthier than having both none or 2+.

I have wine every night before dinnet. I have since day one. I count the calories and keep within my 1200 calories a day. It never hindered my weight loss.

I have wine every night before dinnet. I have since day one. I count the calories and keep within my 1200 calories a day. It never hindered my weight loss.

The single drink a night actually seemed to help my weight loss and diabetes consistently but the general concern is the calories (there is some bio-chemistry research which makes that concern seem dubious to me but that research is hardly a consensus)

The single drink a night actually seemed to help my weight loss and diabetes consistently but the general concern is the calories (there is some bio-chemistry research which makes that concern seem dubious to me but that research is hardly a consensus)

Dr O'Brien in Australia (a lap band pioneer) promotes a glass of wine a day.

It worked for me. I think the key is if you can manage your drinking then great. But if not... could mean trouble.

Good luck to you.