Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I had lapband surgery feb 2, 2011. Went into surgery weighing around 220. Had a very successful surgery, recovery, and weight loss process. 2 weeks ago feb 15 I was rushed to the ER with what I thought was a heart attack. Keep in mind I'm only 23. I was terrified. Turned out it was my gallbladder ( go figure). It was full of stones so they removed it that day. As if 6 incision scars wasn't enough, 4 more was added. Thankfully the 6 from lap band are barely noticeable. They had me stay the night and before releasing me the next day the doctor told me they could tell my gallbladder has not been working for what they estimate 2 years. I look back at my lap band surgery two years prior and knew that was the cause. Not a big deal. Recover from gallbladder has been much worse and more of a challenge. I'm at my sweet spot and have been for awhile. It's a comfortable spot for me. But since gallbladder surgery I can't help but feel like I'm tighter??? I never had a problem drinking sodas until now and it's only the first half of the day. I can only manage to drink Water or tea until around 2 or 3pm then I can slowly start switching and actually eating something other than broth. I went into gallbladder surgery weighing 142 and now today I'm at 134.8. I've been taking Vitamins daily since surgery since I know I'm not getting what I need from the food intake I'm getting. I'm happy with the weight loss and I know people have to change their diets after gallbladder removal but I'm literally just stumped at what I can actually eat. Has anyone had this issue???

I'm so sorry to hear about your second surgery, but just out of curiosity, why do you feel your lap band led to your gallbladder failing and not just coincidence?

My doctor told me before lapband surgery that rapid weight loss in a short time can cause problems to the gallbladder. I'm not really sure why or what it does to the gallbladder but my gallbladder surgeon when I was rushed to the ER asked immediately if I've recently lost a lot of weight or if I've ever had weight loss surgery and I explained my band 2 years prior and he then knew it was my gallbladder without even looking at my CT scans or X-rays yet. After he saw them he came back and said it was just as he thought. I've seen some other post on here about people having to get their gallbladder removed afterwards also. My mom had gastric by pass and them had to have hers taken out just a few months later.

Intersting. I will have to keep an eye out for that! Good luck =)

My doctor gave me medicine for the gallbladder so I don't get gallstones...I think they just started doing that...

20 years pre band I had my gallbladder out at 19 after loosing 100 pounds.

20 years pre band I had my gallbladder out at 19 after loosing 100 pounds.

My mother and I both had to have our gallbladders removed within 2 months of giving birth.. It sucks

i also had my gallbladder removed in 04 (when i lost 70 pounds that year)...it was emergency surgery and hurt between my shoulder blades i mean terrible.. i had like 3 or 4 (attacks) and each time in emergency room.....the last time hub told them i was staying til they fixed me.....

Having my gallbladder removed tomorrow. Trying not to think about it, I really really don't want that shoulder pain that came with lap band surgery. Lap band surgery was 3 months ago, I've lost about 30 lbs. I had lost a lot of weight in a short period of time quite a few years ago, and then put it back on. I've also read that losing weight rapidly can cause some gall bladder issues. The other thing that's sticking in my my mind is if I'm going to feel nauseous, I don't want to be throwing up, especially with the band. I didn't have any issues that way when I got banded so im hoping same goes this time. Soon this will all be over and I'll be up and at 'em.