Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Two Visits, No Fills

I was banded on Dec 18th. Since then i've lost about 15 pounds. I did my post op two weeks out and the PA did no fill. Then two weeks ago I had to make an appointment and have them check if I was ready for a fill. And again he poked around my tummy and said he didn't think I needed a fill.

Everything else I read said I should not be able to eat more than 4-6oz and not get the stopping signs.

I am pretty tight in the mornings, I choke even on small things. But by the time 5:00 rolls around I can eat up to 16 Oz of semi-dense high Protein food if I don't watch myself. My grocery budget is 1/4 of what it used to be. I am eating less. I am eating low-carb/paleo. But quick weight loss is not happening, even though I am just not hungry anymore.

Anyways, I am loosing about 1.5-2 pounds a week since I went off mushy foods.

But I should not be able to eat this much!

I am part of a health "co-op" type medical group, so I don't get a choice for my providers. I also have to drive 160 miles to make these visits to the bariatric unit.

So I don't really trust my PA. I had to fight right up till when I was going into anethesia to have a lap band. They wanted me to get a gastric bypass, but I was just too terrified. The lead surgeon flat out told me it would not work and he would not do it for a family member if he was asked. He had me nearly crying, trying to explain why, (though he is a fabulous laproscopic surgeon.)

So now I have this nagging feeling that the staff and that unit wants to see me fail. Either that or the PA does not want to do a fill because it takes a long time to do.

Anyone ever have a Dr. or PA slack off and not do a fill?

Also I am planning on moving away from this health unit, anyone had any luck switching bariatric care providers for fills and such?

Actually, it sounds like the PA is right. You're losing 1-2 pounds a week and you're not hungry. It sounds like the band is doing exactly what it is supposed to do.

I think you may be expecting the band to do something it's not supposed to do. The band isn't supposed to physically stop you from eating. This is why it's so important to stick to band sized portions. If you look at my signature you'll see a great link. Have a look, I think it will really help you a lot.

As far as weight loss, you're right where you're expected to be. There isn't supposed to be a quick weight loss, the average is 1-2 pounds per week. Some do lose faster than others but it's the exception not the norm.

Best wishes. It sounds like you're off to a good start.

so you are losing......and you want a fill (to help you lose) more?

i think you are doing exactly what you need to be doing.

my dr wanted me to have the bypass also but like you i was too (scared)...i told him the band was for me and i'd be his success story. and you know what i am....make the band work for you by helping it. and you ARE.

i dont have any fills but am eating alot of Protein in my allotted amounts like you are...get a fill when/if you are ready..i am living proof that you do not need a fill (to lose weight).