Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long will this take?

Banded on Monday 4/17.

I want to get into a size 14/16.

I am wearing 22/24 now.

I am 5'5 and was 250 as they wheeled me into surgery.

My home scales say I am 240.5 today, but they are worthless, and I don't believe them.

I am sticking to the liquid diet like I have been advised to do, and like so many of you said I should do, last nite in my state of frustration.

Do you think it is possible for me to be in that size in as little as month out?

My sister had the RNY last year, and of course is WAY below goal. (I used the same Dr. and he strongly advised the Lapband, as the RNY was too much for me, as he did not think I needed to loose that much weight, and she had dropped so much) So, I feel cheated. I didn't get the surgery I wanted, she did. She lost all her weight fast, and I had to deal with her emotional crap all through out it.

Now, I sit banded. And will not loose this weight.

I am the one that told her about the surgery and did everything to help HER get APPROVED.

I finally get on an Ins. that will approve me, and feel that I was cornored into getting the lapband rather then the RNY.

I hate feeling like all of this. I am loosing my mind. Depression is going to kick my butt if I do not get to feeling better soon, and loose some weight fast.

I am scared. Mindless.

Sorry for my venting. If no one reads it, at least I got some of it out of my head.

MelAnne

MelAnne, welcome to LBT

My PcP and I chose the band over GBP for the very reason you state here:

it is a slow process, it did not take 1 month for me to put on this weight, nor do I expect a miracle and it all suddenly drop off in a month.

Rny patients have problems as well as Lap Band patients.

You are only going to succeed as far as you let yourself go - you have the ability and tools now to do whatever you wish if you have the strength to do it.

Please do not compare yourself to your sister, each of us have our own strengths and weaknesses. I do not even have my band yet, due to medical complications, but I am chugging along.

When I made the decision to get banded and change my lifestyle, I did changed everything ~~ My eating habits (for the most part) my exercising and my way of thinking. I will not stop until I reach my goal. It might take me a year or 5 years, but with support such as LBT it can be done.

Do things that make you happen, chart your progress and make daily notes of your NSV's - this all has helped me stay on track and somewhat sane.

MelAnne,

I am 6 weeks post-op next Tuesday. I have lost 23 pounds and gone from a size 20 to a normal size 16. I am 5'4". It is possible for you to get to a 14/16, but you need to count your calories. The first 4 weeks I was getting an average 800 calories a day. I bumped it up to 1100 to 1200 after that because I was feeling run-down. Make sure you drink 48 - 64 ounces of Water. I wasn't getting enough Water and my weight loss slowed to one pound a week. I have gotten all my water in for the past week and lost three pounds....see the difference!

Best of Luck to you, and don't feel bad. You will be healthier losing your weight slowly, and your skin will have time to shrink with you.

The Woodlands Mary?!?! I am in Spring!

Thank you for your support and example of what I need to be doing and focusing on.

I am scared. I need to loose this weight. As I am already loosing my mind.

-MelAnne

MelAnne,

Hey Neighbor! I am here for you!

My first week was kinda rough. I wouldn't have made it without support from LapBandTalk.

Who did your surgery?

I had mine at the SurgiCenter in Houston with Dr. Richard Collier. He has an office in Conroe and in The Woodlands. I go for my first fill next Tuesday.

Hey there! Don't fret! It does take a little time but it is worth it. I was banded in 09-06 and I just got into a 14 about a month ago and I too was in a 22-24. Just stick to watching what you eat and exercise and you will be there before you know it!

MelAnne:

Oh girl, I hear your heart....we have struggled for YEARS to overcome. The band is a tool to do just that. The stats are the same when you go 5ys out as the bypass for lap band! I know we live in a microwave society--we want everything YESTERDAY!!!! Are you exercising? How much are you drinking in calories? Exercise is a mood elevator for sure!! You CAN do this....don't compare yourself to ANYONE!!! You are NOT losing your mind....God gave you a sound mind and self-control His Word says!! I'll be praying for you!!

God Bless,

Melody

Banded 3/20/06 -31lbs :(

Hey MelAnne,

So you're 3 days post-op? You probably haven't 'really' lost 10 pounds... no. My Dr's scale weighs me a few pounds heavier than my scale does, but as long as I use the same scale everytime, I know for myself that at least it's moving. Maybe your Dr's scale is off too, who knows.. just stick to one scale for consistancy.

I don't know for you what weight would make you a size 14/16, but you're not gonna get there in a month. Are you in a race? Don't compare your self to your sister. Yeah, RNY-ers lose faster, but they come with their own whole different (and worse) potential problems.

You said "Now, I sit banded. And will not loose this weight." You're only 3 days out! Don't weigh yourself everyday either! You're suppposed to think of any weight you lose before your first fill as a bonus anyways.

I originally wanted the RNY too. If I had been able to, at that time, and was given the choice of the 2, I probably would have gone for the RNY. But I didn't, cause I didn't want to wait the several years it takes to get it done here. I started researching the Lapband instead, and discovered that 'maybe it wasn't so bad'. I thought I needed the malabsorbtion and restriction... that I needed to 'dump' which some RNY-ers do.. and I wanted to lose fast, fast, fast! But I realized that I DO want to eat sweet things again, without feeling sick after... (the guilt is a different story! ha!) And losing fast, nice as it would be, isn't necessary.

I wasn't scared going into it... and I think I would have been, going into the RNY.

Just don't be so hard on yourself. I'm sorry you feel like you were forced to get a surgery you didn't want.

Good luck,

Mandi

MelAnne,

Hey Neighbor! I am here for you!

My first week was kinda rough. I wouldn't have made it without support from LapBandTalk.

Who did your surgery?

I had mine at the SurgiCenter in Houston with Dr. Richard Collier. He has an office in Conroe and in The Woodlands. I go for my first fill next Tuesday.

Dexter Turnquest - Houston Northwest off 1960.

I am not allowed a fill for 6 weeks. Sticking to liquids and WALKING WALKING WALKING as I am determined to loose this weight and be in size 16 pants within 2 months.

I know, un-realistic and will be emotionally crushing I am sure.

I plan on visiting this forum and posting it all. Good and Bad. I can be true to myself and use this as a daily log in, did I eat right? did I exercise? etc.

I am weak, and hungry. I am allowed to be sore and emotionally a wreak right now. I just had major surgery, and that is a major life change. I can freak out about it. I did when I got married. When I got pregnant (both times). And of course no one needs to mention how much I have beat myself up over the past years for gaining this weight!!

I will survive, I will loose and I will reap the reward!!

Post surgery blues are a mother! I didn't feel like myself mentally or physically for at least 2 weeks.

My birthday was Tuesday. I was actually bummed about not doing the usual Birthday routine at The Cheesecake Factory. I was rewarded the next day with a 3 pound loss for the week that helped. My husband is taking me out Saturday for a special day. NO MORE REWARDING MYSELF WITH FOOD!!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!

Cheesecake Factory - Sheeshcake FAT-factory

Just walked around the block. Who cares if I was in my nightgown and robe. I walked and got outta the house while my family ate the homemade lasagna my sister brought over for my family as I had surgery Monday and my 10 yr old son had surgery on Wed. (eye surgery in both eyes)

-Mel

I hope your son's surgery went well...both eyes!

Keep walking it helps with the GAS!

Just walked around the block. Who cares if I was in my nightgown and robe.

haha, good job and attitude :(