Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Smaller port/replacement

I too, have heard of this. Why do you want to get it replaced? Does it stick out and look crazy? I read somewhere on here that someone's port got detached (she lost weight and it was popping out like crazy and moving under her skin) I think she said insurance covered it and she was gonna do it under "twilight" anesthesia and not go fully under, but in the end she did...

if you go into my profile and look at my "Before and After" pic's, you'll see my port protruding on my "After Pic", slightly to my right, center. With my shirt off, you can see and feel, every nook and cranny of the port, including the tubing running towards mid-line before going deep.....

A one handed blind man can do my fills....as a matter of fact I carry my own syringe (with my Dr.'s blessing) to do emergency un-fills when I travel out of the country.

Dr. said he could move it more to the side if I want and when I'm ready, but for now I'm in no rush....he never said anything about a smaller port, although I believe the Realize" band already has the lower profile port.......

As far as moving around and possibly flipping...it is less chance of happening now. With all the belly fat gone, it is sitting tightly, fastened to the ab muscles and covered over tightly with the skin.....I can grab it and try to move it and it is staying put.

It is when there is much fat involved, the port and everything can move around more easily, and harder for the Dr. to work with....

Now that I have lost 116 pounds it sticks out pretty good. I can feel it easily. It is about 1 inch from my belly button and I hit it on everything. I have not had any problems with it but my bariatric PA said that if I do there is a smaller profile port. The one I have looks like a small volcano from the side. Just curious if anyone else has heard this.

Hello All, I am new to this site!

I originally was banded in 2008, the weight lost was steady then stopped. I regained over half of what I lost. Why? My port had to be replaced. I had no retriction but maintained the weight for almost three years. I had not had a checkup in two years due to family losses. My husband and father within a month of each other.

I'm getting back on track by visiting my Dr. which he discovered the damaged port. Surgery took placed three days ago so I have to get back on track. I was informed the smaller port was used as the replacement device. What are the 10 do's and don't's so I can get back on track?

Hello All' date=' I am new to this site!

I originally was banded in 2008, the weight lost was steady then stopped. I regained over half of what I lost. Why? My port had to be replaced. I had no retriction but maintained the weight for almost three years. I had not had a checkup in two years due to family losses. My husband and father within a month of each other.

I'm getting back on track by visiting my Dr. which he discovered the damaged port. Surgery took placed three days ago so I have to get back on track. I was informed the smaller port was used as the replacement device. What are the 10 do's and don't's so I can get back on track?[/quote']

I cannot say I'm really ever "on track". Each day is a challenge with some success and some failure. For me #1 is to be active. I try to run 3-4 times a week #2 no soda/beer #3 have some accountability with a band or workout buddy #4 don't get down on yourself #5 remember where the journey has taken you #6 don't eat late #7 eat Breakfast #8 sometimes go back to liquid then purée diet to remind yourself of the full filling#9 when eating out box 1/2 up right away #10 start day with Protein shake. It helps start your metabolism and you feel less hungry at lunch and are less likely to over do it. These are just a few that that come to mind

Anyone have the issue of a "tilted" port?

My surgery was done in Mexico last year & the last time I had a fill was over 6 months ago...

I have one scheduled for this Friday, as my weight loss has plateaued and I have limited restriction.

The PA who did my fill had advised me that the port was "tilted". It made it a little more difficult to get the needle in where it needed to be, but overall, it seemed to be okay. I still have port pain on a fairly regular basis, but there's no rhyme or reason for it.

I pay for all of my own fills & they are all done under a fluroscope so I feel pretty confident in my physician here in the States. Also, my surgeon placed my port just to the left of my belly button. Anyone else have that? Or are they off on the side?

Don't get me wrong, I'm really happy w/ my surgeon and the outcome. Just have some lingering questions/issues related to my port....

My port is located on the left side almost in the middle of my belly button. The orginal was more in the middle of my stomach. This statement is true when the weight is lost in this area its more visible. As for the cost for a fill-in, if my insurance did not pay for this it would come out of FSA and would average about $195.00. This may depend on the location and physican's fees, Was it a cost factor why the surgery was done in Mexico?

Hope this helps some.

Yes, cost was the primary factor why I chose to have my surgery done in Mexico. I did about 6 months worth of research & found a patient facilitator & surgeon that I clicked with. The experience was better than I had expected & I've had no real complications from it. My insurance company's stance was that I either needed to develop diabetes (or another chronic health condition) or gain more weight (I'm 5'5" and weighed 211 lbs. the day of surgery). Needless to say, neither of those were an option for me!

I'm happy with what I've done and hopefully, this fill tomorrow will jump start my weight loss. I don't want my "tilted port" to keep me from being successful! :-D

Anyone have the issue of a "tilted" port?

My surgery was done in Mexico last year & the last time I had a fill was over 6 months ago...

I have one scheduled for this Friday' date=' as my weight loss has plateaued and I have limited restriction.

The PA who did my fill had advised me that the port was "tilted". It made it a little more difficult to get the needle in where it needed to be, but overall, it seemed to be okay. I still have port pain on a fairly regular basis, but there's no rhyme or reason for it.

I pay for all of my own fills & they are all done under a fluroscope so I feel pretty confident in my physician here in the States. Also, my surgeon placed my port just to the left of my belly button. Anyone else have that? Or are they off on the side?

Don't get me wrong, I'm really happy w/ my surgeon and the outcome. Just have some lingering questions/issues related to my port....[/quote']

My port is tilted as well. I had my surgery done in FL. My surgeon tried to push it back in place and then fill me. I may need minor surgery to fix the tilt but my fills are working so I'll wait. It's more a nuisance than anything else.

So I went this past Friday to St. Louis & had my fill done under a new PA. While looking at my band under the fluoroscope, she said she didn't see or feel any "tilt" to my port. She did say that it may have had a "tilt" to it, but with the weight loss and exercising, I have somewhat moved its positioning.

She added another .5cc to my 4cc band (I now have a total of 3cc in it). I almost didn't feel a thing!!! It was virtually painless & not uncomfortable in the least :-) My barium swallow pics looked great & I now feel restriction! I will weigh in tomorrow (once a week) so I'm curious to see what I've lost since the fill.

Anyways, I guess there is hope for all of us "tilted ports"! :-)

Hello All,

This is a follow-up from my port replacement surgery. The new port allowed restriction for my at only 1cc. I am not familar why the older port I was able to hold 2cc vs only 1cc. Nevertheless, I have restriction and feel I am in the 'Green Zone'.

I work out regularly, eat less, feel great but no real weight lost shown in the scales.

Is there something wrong with my mebtabolism? I eat healthy but still do not like eating meat, I know I need the Protein but I just do not like it. I try small dishes but become bored after one day servings. Then I alleviate it all together!! My diet has been mainly Beans, lentils, rice variations and salads. I also had low Iron almost all my life. I am drinking more Water, and hope the scales would display my efforts. Any advice to a struggling new smaller port patient. Thanks in advance!

My surgeon told me last visit, when I asked for a fill,(got a slight unfill), that my port had tipped. He said that a lot of patients, after they have lost weight, had to get a smaller port. If you have a large port, and lose a lot of weight, the port gets tight under your skin. So, some people go for a smaller port. My port was tipped enough that he had to fill from the side and it did hurt a bit more than usual. I am like b-52 and my sticks out especially when I am in a bathing suit. Karen