Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need to start over

Hi everyone! My name is Chrissy and I hate to admit I haven't been on in a while. :(( I had my surgery in September of 2012. I had lost about 20 pounds as of Christmas time but have no idea how I've done. I have had to cancel my last two appts as we've had 2 deaths in the family one month apart. My brother in law killed himself and then my grandmother died at the age of 91. I've really been struggling with my success. I'm embarrassed when people ask me how much I've lost and I answer 20 and I get a "That's it?!" I need all the help and support and motivation I can to get restarted. I have an appt with my surgeon for mid March as he's super busy. I'm anxious to get back on track. I don't own a scale and don't know if I've lost more weight these past two months. Any suggestions from anyone is appreciated. I was thinking of joining Weight Watchers in conjunction with lapband. Any do that? Can't wait to hear all your advice!!

Hi Chrissy!

I am so sorry about the losses in your life. Your stress level must've been through the roof.

Going back to your doctor is the perfect first step. Regardless of whether the scale says you lost, gained, or stayed the same look at it as a clean slate. This is your new "first day" and everything that happened (or didn't happen) before now just doesn't matter. The fact you're buckling down and getting back on track on now is all that matters.

I think a trip to see your nutritionist would help, too. If I were in your shoes, I'd make an appointment with them and let them help you.

Best wishes.

I know the feeling, My cousin and my grandmother died the first week of February. My grandmother and I were extremely close. I can't seem to get it together. I haven't logged my food like I usually do every day. I haven't gained, I did lose 2 pounds considering. However my sugar levels have been through the roof. I go this friday for my monthly follow-up and I don't really feel up to going. There are times that I am not hungry and don't eat much, and then there are times where I eat things that I know I shouldn't, I get this urge when I think of my grandmother. I've been sick with and awful cold for two weeks, my husband and I are having problems financially and in our marriage. and I am at my wits end. I am trying to maintain. I refuse to gain back any of the 62 pounds that I have lost. Please keep me in prayer.

Welcome back Chrissy!

You have made the first step with contacting your doctor, that is great. In the mean time you can start evaluating what you are eating & how much. Start logging your food on paper or with an app. When I was first banded I kept my food log on paper and I would also log how I was feeling at the time or what happened that day. It was a food log and a journal all in one. It help me identify some triggers I needed to watch for.

Also, start walking. Go for a 10 minute walk to the end of the block and back. Work up from there. Basically start moving.

Finally drink at least 64 oz of Water a day. Add crystal light to it if you don't like plain Water.< /p>

And for support stick around here. I come to this site every day for support. Made a lot of wonderful friends who encourage me every step of the way.

You can do this!

I'm sorry for your losses! Last year my dad passed away from cancer and then 6 months later my 24 year old niece died unexpectedly from a lung problems. It can really mess with your emotions and consume your days with other thoughts than taking care of yourself! During this time I also stopped going to my appointments! I really think that is where we goofed up! The accountability and getting your band to a place where fills are working for you. I have made an appointment with my surgeon next month and plan on getting back on track. I haven't been able to get fills in the past because of problems and I'm going to give it another try! I think you have taken the right first step by making an appointment! Good luck

Thank you everyone for your support. I'm so glad this place exists. The encouragement is what keeps me going. :) So I went and joined WW and I stepped on the scale and I'm down another 19 pounds!!! For a total of 41! :))) So happy. Didn't think I lost that much. :))

Hey everyone!! Great news! I joined WW and I have actually lost 15 pounds. Can't believe it. I'm still in shock!!! Thank you for your support. I'm back on track and I have you all to thank!!

Hi Chrissy. Congrats on your continued weight loss.