Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeve Forum is wrong about the band

I decided to go the the sleeve forum to just look around and read a few posts. Th first was about dumping...... Let's just say it was scary Lol The next one that I read was about Lap-Band vs Sleeve. This is where it got interesting.

There were so many people BASHING the band it was crazy. "if you want to spend your whole life throwing up get the band". "you can't lose more than 100 pounds with the band" "you will only be able to eat unhealthy slider foods. Never chicken, bread or vegetables" "have to go for fills once a month for the rest of your life"

Then there are several people who had the band who converted to the sleeve who chime in. "in 5 years I lost 28 pounds" "waste of a $100k". Etc.. (not sure who they paid 100k to Lol)

I was cracking up reading these but then I realized that many people who are pre-op (like me) who don't do research (NOT like me)?might believe this garbage. There are so many people on this site who have 100+ pounds it's crazy. Several have lost 200+ pounds. I can't help but feel like MOST of the people on that site who weren't successful with the Band did it to themselves. The person who said they spent the whole time puking and only eating slider foods and didn't lose weight... I just wonder did they not have a doctor that they followed up with? If you want to humor yourself go check it out.

wow, I have to say I had heard all that b4 I went to check it out. I had 90 lbs to loss and am down 60 in 6 mos. but I follow the rules and have my band a little tighjt by some peoples standards but it works for me...just like life what you put into it the more you get out...good luck

I couldn't agree with you more!

Unfortunately there is a lot of misinformation out there, and that's especially true when people who fail are the ones yelling the loudest. But as you said, they failed their band didn't fail. In our society where no one seems to take responsibility for their own actions, we see this a lot.

I laugh when I hear this trash, by the way. I've had my band almost 14 months. There is nothing I can't eat but plenty I choose not to eat because it's not good for me. I've never vomited even once. And as for the weight loss, I've lost over 190 pounds so far. That is just as much (and often even more) than someone with the Sleeve or Bypass can lose in the same amount of time.

Good luck on your own band journey. It's so great to see someone who educates themself before surgery. You'll do great!

Sometimes they venture over here to throw rocks at us. It's true that some patients can't conform to eating with the band. Of course, you'll never see folks from here saying duragatory comments about the sleeve. This is why some of us get the band. If it doesn't work out we have options. Once you go sleeve or bypass, there's no turning back or revising.

tmf

Interesting! Yesterday when I went for my second fill, I mentioned this forum to the person who did my fill. She told me that she had been banded for 5 years and in the beginning had come here to check it out and she didn't stay because she said it seemed as if there were a lot of angry people here. Sometimes it certainly seems like that, but I have found a lot of very friendly helpful folks who seem to have their heads in the right place.

I think some people are naysayers regardless of what the subject matter is or just like to think they no better than everyone else. The band is not for some people, just like gastric bypass or the sleeve is not for everyone. I think it also depends on where you are at emotionally in your life. I know someone (she's gone from a very close friend to frienemy) who had gastric bypass several years ago and any time an overweight person is having issues in their life (not necessarily weight) or not her response is always, "Why don't you go get weight loss surgery?" She likes to think she knows everything about everything and if everyone listened to her they wouldn't have any problems. Her first question to me after my surgery (I wasn't even a week out) was, "So...have you thrown up yet?" When I asked her why would I do that she responded with some explanation of how she just has to push the limit if she is told she shouldn't do something. Crazy huh? I didn't even bother to explain the differences in her surgery compared to mine. It seemed like a waste of my energy. I'm sure you're wondering how she did with her weight loss - she did good for awhile, but has never been thin and is still considerably overweight. She considers her surgery a success. She's one of the biggest reasons why I decided to try the Lap Band since it was done as an outpatient, is reversible, less costly and doesn't involve re-routing my innards. While the recovery was easier in many ways, the daily living part is a little more difficult since she seems to be less restricted when it comes to what she can eat and of course the weight loss is slower.

I don't even know why I posted this! LOL! But I don't really talk to anyone else about my WLS. I have not made it public - except here. I asked her not to tell anyone, but knowing her, someone else out there knows.

I'M GLAD THAT YOU READ THE SLEEVE FORUM AND FOUND THAT NOT EVERYTHING THERE IS ROSY.

Sometimes the way sleevers talk you would think that everything is perfect but obviously it's not. There are issues with reflux,dumping,strictures,leaks etc

Band bashing seems to be the sport of choice for most(but not all) sleevers. Clever people are able to see past that and find the truth

I was talking to my surgeon this am. He said that some doctors hire women to bash the other surgeries. He said when lapbandtalk.com 1st started there were a lot of woman paid by Mexican surgeons to come on here and make false claims about their American surgeons. I told him that we can pick up a phoney pretty quickly, now! Hurray for our people who can see through trolls. Karen

I couldn't agree with you more!

Unfortunately there is a lot of misinformation out there' date=' and that's especially true when people who fail are the ones yelling the loudest. But as you said, they failed their band didn't fail. In our society where no one seems to take responsibility for their own actions, we see this a lot.

I laugh when I hear this trash, by the way. I've had my band almost 14 months. There is nothing I can't eat but plenty I choose not to eat because it's not good for me. I've never vomited even once. And as for the weight loss, I've lost over 190 pounds so far. That is just as much (and often even more) than someone with the Sleeve or Bypass can lose in the same amount of time.

Good luck on your own band journey. It's so great to see someone who educates themself before surgery. You'll do great![/quote']

Wait Missy...... You lost over a hundred pounds?? And don't puke all day?! That's impossible! Lol JK. Great job! Thanks, I'm excited about starting my journey. I have always been a person that really tries to educate myself before making a big decision. It amazes me how some people will let a surgeon cut them open without knowing what they are in for.

Sometimes they venture over here to throw rocks at us. It's true that some patients can't conform to eating with the band. Of course' date=' you'll never see folks from here saying duragatory comments about the sleeve. This is why some of us get the band. If it doesn't work out we have options. Once you go sleeve or bypass, there's no turning back or revising.

tmf[/quote']

I agree with you. I don't think anything negative about the sleeve, or people who have it. Some of it scares me, but that's me. You never know where your journey will take you and one day you may need the sleeve to help you in your weight loss journey (not you personally, just a generalization).

I was talking to my surgeon this am. He said that some doctors hire women to bash the other surgeries. He said when lapbandtalk.com 1st started there were a lot of woman paid by Mexican surgeons to come on here and make false claims about their American surgeons. I told him that we can pick up a phoney pretty quickly' date=' now! Hurray for our people who can see through trolls. Karen[/quote']

That's crazy, but not necessarily surprising. There's a lot of money at stake.

They are right! You could spend your whole life throwing up if you eat to fast, don't chew your food, or your band is to tight! To bad they don't share the reasons why this could happen.

I definitely agree that the sleeve forums can be a little too "life is wonderful" and need to be taken with a grain of salt. But I do have to say that I am living proof that you can loose 100+ pounds with the band and then have complications and end up having to have revision surgery. (Hell, I believe in the band so much I had it twice!) I think it ALL needs to be taken with a grain of salt. In the end, I think it's important to remember that we are all struggling the same battle and people are always going to be defensive of what works for them. With whatever site you use, make sure and take the time to search the complications forum. I know I am studying that section VERY carefully before my upcoming band to sleeve revision!

With that said, had my band not slipped, I was down 100 pounds and loving life! And my mother and sister are both very happily banded and down a combined 120lbs! The band can be wonderfully successful, as can the sleeve... we just have to remember that nothing comes guaranteed. Let's support each other, not tear each other down! :)

Creekwood: Thank you SOOOOOOOOO much for posting this. I get banded tomorrow and am freaking out that it is actually happening (I really feel like something could still derail me). Anyway, I have researched this dang thing for 6 years, talked to tons of people who have had the other stomach cutting WLS procedures and decided this is the thing for me. But, when I read the stuff about puking and slipping and eroding, I get freaked. I know that it is up to me to make this successful. Scared to death of the first time I get stuck, which I know might happen, but am so glad that this is the path I am taking. It is such a personal decision and I honestly think each person belongs to their own procedure. To each his own as they say. But, once again, this couldn't have come at a better moment for me to read it :-)

any WLS has pros and cons. and you will have those pro and those con. it seems the cons are the ones who bit** the most and band bash. hey knock yourself out I say. I am out to prove em wrong. me 8 months post op....no throw up yet. no issues and following the banded rules/lifestyle. *if something was to happen, my dr advised there is no guarantee and I will deal with it at that time so right now I choose to live the life my band/plication gave me back.*

I definitely agree that the sleeve forums can be a little too "life is wonderful" and need to be taken with a grain of salt. But I do have to say that I am living proof that you can loose 100+ pounds with the band and then have complications and end up having to have revision surgery. (Hell' date=' I believe in the band so much I had it twice!) I think it ALL needs to be taken with a grain of salt. In the end, I think it's important to remember that we are all struggling the same battle and people are always going to be defensive of what works for them. With whatever site you use, make sure and take the time to search the complications forum. I know I am studying that section VERY carefully before my upcoming band to sleeve revision!

With that said, had my band not slipped, I was down 100 pounds and loving life! And my mother and sister are both very happily banded and down a combined 120lbs! The band can be wonderfully successful, as can the sleeve... we just have to remember that nothing comes guaranteed. Let's support each other, not tear each other down! :)[/quote']

I agree 100%. I'm sorry for the complications that you have had. I hope you have success in the future and get to your goal weight. We are all in the same battle, just have different ways of getting to our goal. I wish everyone success!