Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight gain

I have had the lapband for 4 months, havent gained but havent lost, i dont like the diet at all, im starting to feel like i couldve saved 10,000 & just followed Atkins Diet cause thats basically what my diet is, and i cant do atkins, have never been able to do it, constipates me beyond belief, my band is a 10cc & its filled 6.5, im starting to get discouraged. Has this happened to anyone else?

Why are you on Atkins? You should be able to eat most any foods. I know of no other bandsters who are required to be on Atkins. Do you feel any restriction? Do you ever get stuck?

Lots of questions I know but:

Have you talked to a nutritionist?

What are you eating?

Do you exercise?

Do you count calories?

Have you had any fills?

Again, sorry for all the questions but you didn't give a lot of information in your topic comment?

tmf

If you haven't lost anything in 4 months, you need to look at what your intake is each day. If you are following Atkins and eating any high fat meats, you can gain weight. You need to make sure your calories in are less than what you are putting out. I weigh and measure everything I eat and keep track on myfitnesspal.com.

I love myfitnesspal too!! Holds you accountable for food intake and helps watch calories! Keeps me on track. I would see a nutritionist. I plan on seeing one this month too! I just need menu ideas. I get so bored!! If you get sick a lot you could be restricted which can prevent weightless. Hope this helps! I'm not a expert lol I say see a expert!

As others have stated, there is no rule stating you have to be on Atkins.

Speaking strictly for myself, I know I sure couldn't. I refuse to do high protein/ultra low carb for the rest of my life so I won't do it while losing either. When I got my Lap Band I knew I had to make changes in my eating habits that I could live with for a lifetime. Atkins definitely wouldn't be something I could do for a lifetime or even a couple months.

Find a nutritionist that will work with you and realize eating guidelines aren't one size fits all. Some people do great high low carb but some do great without restricting carbs (like me, I don't restrict carbs). Some need low fat diets while others don't seem to have to worry about it. We're all different and our metabolisms are all different too. The trick is discovering what works best specifically for you.

Best wishes.

Thanks everyone, im just getting so frustrated because no im not excercising, food intake down but im no where near satisfied when i do eat, and my dr diet doesnt say Atkins but thats basically what it is, i think....heck couldve done that myself. So guess its time to see someone who can help me. Gonna make a appt w/ the nutritionist. Thanks all

I have had the lapband for 4 months, havent gained but havent lost, i dont like the diet at all, im starting to feel like i couldve saved 10,000 & just followed Atkins Diet cause thats basically what my diet is, and i cant do atkins, have never been able to do it, constipates me beyond belief, my band is a 10cc & its filled 6.5, im starting to get discouraged. Has this happened to anyone else?

no need to get discourage as it doesnt solve anything.

so you havent gained, GREAT

so you havent lost, not so bad..

to lose weight, you have to eat less calories than you burn off. are you doing that? only you know.

Good idea Hunnie. I was 4 months into my journey and had only lost 12 lbs. I had a nut consult and she pointed out many mistakes I was making. I didn't want to give up all of my food fetishes so we compromised and I started to lose immediately following that visit. I lost about 40 lbs in the next 5 months.

I do eat low carb but not no carb. I try to keep the simple carbs out of my diet. So, I'll eat brown rice, occasionally eat flat bread and I eat fruit. I just try to keep my food in the low glycemic range. Stay away from high glycemic foods, they'll slow down your weight loss and cause you to be hungry too often.

tmf

I did not want to try another diet due to numerous failed attempts as most of us on here. I seen my nutritionist monthly for 6 months before sx. She showed me how to pick better food choices, meal plan, and found foods I would incorporate into this new lifestyle. I don't do Atkins, Weight Watchers, Nutra System, etc. Why would I wanna do that when I have my band. I would feel like I was on a diet.

I stay away from fast food, hot dogs, processed foods etc. If I really want pizza or ice cream or whatever it may be I eat it, I count calories and add to meal plan for day. Diets don't work for me and I dont want to diet again.

The band will give you Portion Control but until you learn what to eat you will have a hard time taking off weight.

Seek out your nutrionist come up with some foods you enjoy and incorporate them into meals. There are some great recipe sites such as Emily Bites, Skinny Girl for great low cal meals.

Best of luck for a successful new lifestyle!