Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Low blood sugar

I am 5 yrs post op I eat between 800-1100 cal a day... I have started a weight lifting program my blood sugar keeps going too low... I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions on what I can add to my diet to maintain a steady blood sugar??

I would have thought that the simple answer would be more food. 800 - 1100 cal is extremely low for maintenance. Your BMR with no exercise at all would be higher than that.

genenerally the recommended foods for stable blood sugar are low GI carbs. Wholemeal bread, grains, potatoes, bananas etc

I agree, maybe add a Protein Bar during the afternoon, or before your weightlifting.

Hey! good for you. i just got back from my check up. I don't go back for 3 months(he would have made it 6, but my daughter wanted her apt same time.)

Hi kll724. Congrats bigtime on your success. Getting off a few meds would be great news let alone all of them. My goal to lose 50-60lbs is to get off insulin first an hopefully oral meds to follow.:) take care:)

Hi Synth,

Congrats on your long term success : ) I suggest you test your blood sugar levels (if not already) to ensure they are actually low when they feel low. Additionally, speak with your Doc as it could indicate a liver issue. Regarding what to eat - complex carbs are the best for stabilization increasing Fiber will also help.

Good luck,

Lee

PS awesome on the strength training it will positively affect bone density - resting metabolic rate and longevity : )

Hi Synth' date='

Congrats on your long term success : ) I suggest you test your blood sugar levels (if not already) to ensure they are actually low when they feel low. Additionally, speak with your Doc as it could indicate a liver issue. Regarding what to eat - complex carbs are the best for stabilization increasing Fiber will also help.

Good luck,

Lee

PS awesome on the strength training it will positively affect bone density - resting metabolic rate and longevity : )[/quote']

I did go to the Dr. Had blood work done HgA1C was 3.8 which is slightly low everything else was with in normal limits.. I really want to work out so I have added AdvantEdge carb control drinks before I work out.. They are palatable but not great ....well worth not having the low blood sugar episodes .. I have never lifted wts so I did not anticipate the need for increase in calories... I am now on fitness pal and am realizing my intake needed to be increased... I have done cardio for a while and did not realize how much more calories wt lifting requires...learning as I go

Thank you for your input

Synthia