Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Vacation and the Lap Band

I am happy to report that we had an amazing time on our cruise during Valentine's week. I am even more happy to report that for the most part I made good food choices ( I did not count calories though) and did exercise while on the cruise, in addition to some huge amounts of walking while in port. Even with all of that, I did gain 3 lbs. Statistics show that the average "cruiser" gains 1.5 lbs PER DAY! With that being said, I think I did pretty good. :) We returned from our cruise on 2/17 and I have lost the 3 lbs + 1 lb for a total of 4 lbs. Yahoo! Got right back on that horse and even found that I kind of missed my rountine. Who would have thunk it???? Thanks for letting me share.

God Bless

Good job! I have found that most of my weight gain on cruises is due to Fluid retention and comes off fairly easily. Still, it's hard to get back on the wagon and be successful and it appears you've done it! Congrats!!

I think you did (and are doing) really great. To go on a cruise, which are known for their non stop food, and only gain a couple pounds AND immediately lose it again? Seriously, you are doing amazing. You've definitely "got this"!!

Last cruise we were on, and we go frequently. I decided to put the band to the test...do not think at all about what I'm eating or how often...just try to enjoy myself as much as I can.....and I'm pleased to say, the band acted the same on a cruise as it dose anywhere I am, 24/7.....

Could not over eat no matter how hard I tried, still could not eat certain foods, no solid foods for Breakfast.....and my hunger was totally under control...no cravings at all.....In the MDR they kept asking me if there was anything wrong with my food, and can they bring me something else....finally the servers understood that I'm a light eater.....

I did get up early and run every morning before the sun came up., and hit the fitness center on sea days.......and we did a lot of walking - exploring while in port....so I actually lost a pound or so....in other words, no different than any other day in the life with the band.....

That is why I love the band...it is there 24/7, nothing I do or anywhere I go can change it....it is not dependent on what I do or don't do, as with traditional diets....it is always there doing what it was designed to do....

In the old pre WLS days, I would have eaten myself sick..cannot believe I actually was that way....what a pig! I'm disgusted just thinking about it.....

Congrats to your slight weight gain, and extra loss!

I am due to have lapBand on March 22nd and we are suppose to go on a cruise this summer... I am curious about how other people handled this. I was wondering about having the saline removed for just one week? IDK I guess I will see when the time comes I may not even be that concerned once I have adjusted to life with the band.

I am due to have lapBand on March 22nd and we are suppose to go on a cruise this summer... I am curious about how other people handled this. I was wondering about having the saline removed for just one week? IDK I guess I will see when the time comes I may not even be that concerned once I have adjusted to life with the band.

I definitely wouldn't remove saline for a vacation. In fact, my surgeon refuses to unfill band just so people can over eat on vacations. He said it defeats the whole purpose of the band.

I had to have a total unfill in August for emergency surgery (not band related). I can tell you when you do get a total unfill, it's not easy to get back where you were.

Just my opinion and experience.

Makes sense!

Having the saline removed for vacation would have scared me to death! I think once you have the band you may not even consider that as an option. I was so grateful for my band on vacation. I didn't overeat on vacation, I just made some bad choices and that caused the weight gain. My nutritionist convinced me to only focus on staying the same weight and not losing during the cruise. I think that made all the difference in the world to me. The one thing this did show me is how quickly the weight can come back on. I have worked too hard to go back now.

Congratulations on your upcoming lapband placement and although it is hard work, it is so so worth it.

God Bless

Aww that's great. Keep up the good work.