Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Port Flipped and Infection

I was banded November 8th. I have lost 26 pounds. Right after the surgery I ended up with an infection and hematoma. They gave me an antibiotic and after spending most of two weeks in pain rating between 7-8. They felt the infection had gone away. I continued to have mild pain between 3-5.

I went in for first fill end of December and since weight loss was good, I wasn't hungry, and hematoma was barely resolved, we choose not to fill. Mid January I went back in for a fill. The nurse attempted to do a fill two times and dug around a lot, then the doc came in and tried for just a bit and determined my port had flipped. Due to a trip we had planned I scheduled my surgery for February 18th.

I called the office numerous times following the fill as I had developed another hematoma due to the digging around with the fill. We just monitored it, they didn't think it had become infected.

I had the surgery on the 18th. When I woke up I found out that I did have an infection. So instead of reattaching the port he cut it out, placed a drain tube in and plans to put new port in in 6 weeks.

It has been draining since. I go back in Wednesday to have the staples removed and tube pulled out. Today when I talked to the nurse I found out they give nothing for pain for this procedure.

I an so anxious about this whole lapband thing now, not sure I can do this without something to reduce pain.

Anyone else had anything like this happen, any thoughts or advice?

I am so sorry you're going through this.

I've never had Lap Band or port issues, but I have had a drainage tube removed before. Twice, in fact. Most recently for a surgery in August.

You won't need a painkiller of any kind- it doesn't hurt. The only thing I found is the sensation of him pulling the tubing out made me feel momentarily light headed and a bit nauseous. It's a very weird, kinda gross sensation but it doesn't hurt.

Best wishes and I hope you heal up soon.

Thanks, guess with everything else really anxious. Anyone else with info would be appreciated.

im sorry that youre going through this and you havent had a chance to enjoy the band and the results it has to offer but when the doctor doesnt want to give me any pain meds for a procedure thats is behond me i hope everything turns out well best of luck :)

Missy is right. I've had drainage tubes from 2 diviticulis surgeries and 32 staples each surgery. The drainage tube feels very strange coming out makes you abit woosie and nausea. But goes away quick. The staples are quite painless surprisingly. My Dr. would keep talking to me to keep my mind occupied. I know its nerve wracking but you can do this.

I just had port revision after having it flipped, no infection involved. Banded 10/15/12. I call it my bump in the road along my journey.

Sorry you are having problems. What the others say is true, you need nothing for pain having tubes & staples removed.

My granddaughter lives with a G & J tube that has to be replaces monthy, which my daughter does. Just pulls them out and puts new ones in.

I hope your journey has no more bumps in the road, good luck.

I was banded in Jan. 2010 and did very well. I had my port revised in June last year..twisted, unfortunately it went down hill from there. He placed the port on my belt line. I have had nothing but pain and tenderness for the last 8 months and oh yeah, took him 7 months to convince him I had a leak. I know what restriction is and I never got it after the revision. Anyways, yes, my port incision for my port wouldn't close and I would have Fluid poor out like a faucet. As long as it wasn't infected leave it alone they said..Its like a got a pocket around the site and it would fill up and poor out. Scared the crap out of me...My fills became so painful from them digging around I would lay on the couch with an ice pack and Tylenol and wishing I had pain meds. I felt all these months have been wasted and I gained my weight back. I fired my so called doctor and now am with someone who listens to me. I am converting to the gastric sleeve if my insurance will allow me. Please be strong and be your own advocate. I waited way to long to speak up to where he would listen to me...one time i asked my doc how many cc's i had, he said i don't know. so keep track of your cc's...I wouldn't change a thing but to be much firmer next time with my doctor. Lesson learned. So i feel for you and it does stink these bumps come up in the road. If you have a good doctor that communicates with you, you will be fine. If not, find another surgeon who cares..just my opinion..