Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 days post op and can't drink more than few ounces of liquid a day

i may be around 8 or 10 ounces a day currently and its pretty painful swallowing although ive had nothing come up. i called the doctor on day 1 post op and explained my issues. he said it just may be swelling and my opening is very small but he also mentioned the band was pretty snug and if i cant get more fluids in by the end of the weekend, they may have to give me fluids via IV or worst cas, surgery again to place a larger band! im freaking out a bit because surgery is the last thing on my mind. im still very very sore and not moving around very well at all. i wasnt planning on missing much work, but at this rate, im in big trouble. any words of encouragement or advice?

I'm surprised that he didn't tell you to come in now... only 8 to 10 oz of Water a day is dangerous :(. Please continue taking in as much liquid as possible to avoid being dehydrated. I remember when I first had my surgery I took little sips throughout the entire time I was awake. Perhaps sip on warm liquids a little throughout the entire day, they tend to relax the band some and may soothe your throat a little too.

As I'm sure you already know, dehydration is very dangerous. If you get dry mouth or swollen tongue, dizziness or weakness... or any of the common symptoms of dehydration, please go and get checked immediately. More likely than not, you will not have to have another surgery. That is unusually rare. I'm hoping that your swelling goes down some and you will be able to take in a little more liquids soon!

The first few days post-op, I had to be sipping constantly to get in enough fluids. Even 1 ounce every half hour should get you at least a quart a day. It has to be your main focus every mniute you are awake You can do this.

I had some issues getting liquids down the first few days. I panicked a bit but the doc assured me to keep taking sips as often as possible. By the 3rd day I was getting more down. I also felt worse than I thought I would the first few days. If things don't get better...keep calling the doctor.

Good luck. This too shall pass.

i may be around 8 or 10 ounces a day currently and its pretty painful swallowing although ive had nothing come up. i called the doctor on day 1 post op and explained my issues. he said it just may be swelling and my opening is very small but he also mentioned the band was pretty snug and if i cant get more fluids in by the end of the weekend, they may have to give me fluids via IV or worst cas, surgery again to place a larger band! im freaking out a bit because surgery is the last thing on my mind. im still very very sore and not moving around very well at all. i wasnt planning on missing much work, but at this rate, im in big trouble. any words of encouragement or advice?

your swollen inside and hence why it (hurts) or is difficult to swallow

please continue taking baby sips...i lived on sf popsicles my first week

if you dont, they will put you on iv as you can get dehydrated..

so sip and keep on doing it

Keep it up. It gets better as time from your surgery lengthens.

Best wishes

I had to get Fluid taken out of my band so I could swallow

thanks everyone. day 3 post op and taking baby steps. i do find i can drink warmer fluids easier and every morning i feel a little tiny bit better but i dont know how i can make it to work tomorrow. i just hope il be able to increase my intake soon. i dont think im getting dehydrated, i am urinating regulary and dont feel too thristy. i burb a lot after drinking anything, even a small amount. is this normal?

thanks everyone. day 3 post op and taking baby steps. i do find i can drink warmer fluids easier and every morning i feel a little tiny bit better but i dont know how i can make it to work tomorrow. i just hope il be able to increase my intake soon. i dont think im getting dehydrated' date=' i am urinating regulary and dont feel too thristy. i burb a lot after drinking anything, even a small amount. is this normal?[/quote']

Yes totally normal. Ur gonna hear the stomach growling like if u was hungry every hr and the gas is insane Gas x liquid gels helps for me. I week after surgery u will be able to swallow very small liquid gels. U will be just fine. I'm 2 weeks post op and feeling great. Still swollen inside and out but already seing a difference. Started my mashed diet and its so far so good. U can do this !

Thanks again everyone for the encourgement, it helps! I started a new topic along with update here: http://www.lapbandtalk.com/topic/165918-4-days-post-op-questions-and-comments/