Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating disorder

I got my lap band in July 2010 since then I've lost almost 200 lbs. I've also had kidney stones, gallbladder stones, pneumonia due to which I've become acidic and delusional and I've also been having asthma problems. I binge and purge (I don't use the b word). I've gotten better since being hospitalized with pneumonia. Before I went into the hospital I was binging and purging literally 24 hours a day. Of course binging for me is no where near the same as someone else bc a sandwich or a hot dog is binging for me but I will not keep it down. People know about it some people have expressed concern but mostly it's almost like a joke. Now I only eat one or two meals a day and drink ensure two or three times a day. My throwing up is more under control but every time I eat I can't keep it down. No one knows I had surgery except my two best friends and mother. It is extremely important to me that no one finds out. My ex bf caught me throwing up and had just saw me eat so he put two and two together not about the surgery but about me eating and told his best friend and they confronted me about it and I was depressed for months and it made it worse. After that I was hospitalized for pneumonia I developed pneumonia from food partials in my lungs. Basically when I would through up I would inhale some of the food accidentally. Even though a few people know I throw and other people suspect it's so embarrassing to me. I feel like I don't know what I would do if people found out. I've gone to therapy but not for very long because I'm ashamed of my eating habits and lab band surgery. I just want to know if anyone has or had any similar problems or feelings. Band removal is a non option.

i did the bulemia in high school, its not pretty. and so i understand. years of therapy helped me. i am not gonna be easy on you so i am sorry now for what i am writing.

being banded and throwing up is not good.

and doing what you wrote is not good. kudo's for you seeing a doctor even if it was a short time.

you need to get to your lap band doctor to check the status of your lap band and let me add, your health is more important then someone finding out you have a lap band. you had to be overweight to get it in the first place. so you saying, i am ashamed of my eating habits and having surgery is crap in my eyes. you had the surgery so you had to care at some point. ....and who cares what the f**k anyone thinks anyhow. its like buttholes, we all got one.

you are stronger than you know..its up to you to believe that or not....keep doing what you are doing is only hurting yourself.

not living is not a pretty option.

I had an endoscopy my band is fine...I was wondering if my kidney stones, gallbladder stone ect. Where from my eating or my surgery

First, my heart aches for you. I can't fathom what you're going through.

You desperately need to find a psychologist or psychiatrist that deal specifically with eating disorders. Bulemia can be deadly and the fact you've already aspirated food into your lungs by vomiting, resulting in pneumonia, is just the tip of the ice burg of problems yet to come if you don't get help.

You also say "band removal is a non option". Do you realize vomiting is one of the biggest causes of slips resulting in band removal?

Please, don't be embarrassed You're suffering from a very real disease that is beyond your control. But, you are aware of it, and now you have to take steps to get help.

All the weight loss and thinness in the world isn't worth it if it costs you your life.

Please get help. I'll keep you in my prayers.

there is no easy way out here. This is a mental problem and needs professional help. You know this of course and I am not sure what answer you are looking for. You have started the preccess now its doing the work like any other problem. I am sorry you are going threw all this but I am proud of you for seeking help the hard part following through. better to live with people knowing that you are getting help then dieing just to keep a secrect.

What kind of stones do you have? Kidney stones are usually a hereditary trait but can also be brought on by indulging in certain food groups. If you are bulemic it would be impossible for any of us to offer advice in this area. You're body is aborbing some nutrition and then you're rejecting others. And the purging must have some kind of effect on the hormones and acids that your body secretes. Your pcp should refer you to a urinologist or nephrologist asap.

I urge you to see a psychiatrist and stick with it. Counseling overweight people with WLS is hardly a surprise to a medical professional.

tmf

You went from one extreme to another from being obese to now having and eating disorder. I think professional help is in order. Your not only hurting your ego your hurting everything inside of you whether your band is okay or not. Your ruining your teeth by throwing up so much, your esophagus, your sphincter that controls your food to stay down. Throwing up constantly can have really bad consequences other then slipping your band. I really think (in my opinion) you need to get help very soon before you end up having GI bleeds and other serious complications.

Sending good thoughts and energy your way. I wish I could give you a hug right now. Please consider speaking to your doctors about this. :(

You really need to get help for your eating disorder! The band alone should have been able to get you to your goal weight. Because you purge, this takes it to another level! You have a certain need to purge your food for other reasons than weight loss! Why would you be embarrassed about having lap-band surgery? My opinion is you need to look at your reasons for getting the band and then be honest with yourself and see if you have accomplished what you intended to do. If you were looking to just lose weight, you have been successful. However, if you did it for a healthier you, you still have a long way to go! Some times the weight comes off fast and our minds take longer to catch up. I did have kidney stones a few years ago and they said they were caused from dehydration. I haven't had any since I have been careful about staying hydrated. Your doctor can test them to see what they are made of, and advise you of what causes them. Please do whatever you need to do to be the healthiest you possible!

You really need to get help for your eating disorder! The band alone should have been able to get you to your goal weight. Because you purge, this takes it to another level! You have a certain need to purge your food for other reasons than weight loss! Why would you be embarrassed about having lap-band surgery? My opinion is you need to look at your reasons for getting the band and then be honest with yourself and see if you have accomplished what you intended to do. If you were looking to just lose weight, you have been successful. However, if you did it for a healthier you, you still have a long way to go! Some times the weight comes off fast and our minds take longer to catch up. I did have kidney stones a few years ago and they said they were caused from dehydration. I haven't had any since I have been careful about staying hydrated. Your doctor can test them to see what they are made of, and advise you of what causes them. Please do whatever you need to do to be the healthiest you possible!

So true! Hydration is so important with stones. Water keeps the kidneys busy and doesn't give Calcium an opportunity to build up.