Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

PB vs Throw Up

I've read the description of PB several times though luckily I haven't had one. I have on the other hand threw up a few times and I'm wondering if some people are just different... do some people throw up just fine and not PB or does both happen random.

I was under the impression that if you threw up it was from the lower stomach and if you PB'ed it was from the soma pouch. I threw up today and it was instant like.. swallow then uckkkkkk threw up. No golf ball or slime just regular.

Also it was just Soup that I threw up since I'm still on liquids from my fill. I didn't eat too fast or anything. I'm thankful that it wasn't a PB (since that sounds worse) but I'm concerned my fill is too tight. I don't really want an unfill until I know for sure it's too tight. I was going to give it at least a week since I know I'm a bit swollen from the fill.

How long do you all wait before getting an unfill? Also, would you be as concerned over a throw up as a PB?

First of all, I am pretty sure that with the band, regular vomiting is NOT possible. Anything you regurgitate is from the pouch. If you think about your new anatomy, your body would have to work awfully hard to propel food up from your lower stomach, through the tiny stoma, and back into the pouch.

If you are ill, like from a virus, it will probably come out the other end. If you are violently throwing up from a stomach bug, I would assume that the unfill patrol on LBT would be after you because all that heaving might cause a slip.

Your situation was a PB, since you describe the food coming right back up after you swallowed it. I'm not sure why you think it was a "vomit," because if the food came up immediately, it wouldn't have time to go to your lower stomach and move up again. And, like I said, the physics of vomiting from your lower stomach doesn't really work.

As far as getting an unfill, I am very opposed to getting unfilled. It sounds like you may have just found restriction and aren't really sure how to deal with it yet. What kind of Soup were you eating? Chunky? I personally would wait it out before messing around with fills and unfills.

Maybe if you tell us how long you've been filled, what else you have eaten, what usually caused you to throw up, etc., we could give better advice.

Oh, and I'm also adamantly opposed to liquid diets. When I PB, I drink hot tea until I feel that my stoma has loosened back up. Then I usually just slow way down while eating, but I don't go on a liquid diet. If I'm so tight that I can't eat real food, I just don't eat. Protein Shakes are no way to live, even for a day.

Thanks for the answers... I guess the main reason I thought this was a throw up and not a PB is due to it being exactly the same feeling I've had in the past. It wasn't different at all. I mean why even rename the incident to PB (which implies it's a burb with food) if it's the same as a throw up was pre-banding. I didn't get the golf ball feeling in my chest or have any slime. It was more like nauseas like I drank sour milk type nauseas and then I threw up and felt better. The Soup wasn't very hot and it was potato but I smooshed the chunks up.

Jack - It's interesting you mentioned the spasmodic regurgitation since that feels like exactly what it was.... also my esophagus has been very spastic, I've had hiccups a lot even when not eating, they are very loud and somewhat embarrassing since I teach software classes and they happen randomly.

<o:p>

It happened again last night on a slim fast shake... I wasn't drinking fast or anything. I don't know why my doctor went so high on the fill... I just wanted like 2cc not 2.7.

</o:p>

StrawartS – The new picture is awesome - you are beautiful.