Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Uhh already getting frustrated

I was banded 1/31. I know I am in The healing phase, but I am following my docs guidelines (70g protein) Mushies, eat Protein first, 2 progein shakes a day etc... The scale is moving in the wrong direction. Up every day for a week. I was down 22lbs now I am back up 8lbs.

I am also STARVING by 4pm.

Doing cardio 4x a week and strength training with a trainer. Eating low carb/low fat. Not that time of the month.

Just venting because its frustrating.

Are you measuring your food? How much does your doctor allow you to eat? Can you please give us an example of what you are eating?

I was also banded on1/31 and my scale has gone up a couple of lbs too. I thought it was b/c I have had 3 periods since surgery. Each time its heavier. Idk what else to do. I'm walking and eating ok except getting all my Protein in. Maybe that's it for me, I need more protein? Anyway sounds like you are doing the right things maybe you are gaining muscle and that's where the lbs are coming from. Good luck.

I was banded 1/31. I know I am in The healing phase, but I am following my docs guidelines (70g protein) Mushies, eat Protein first, 2 progein shakes a day etc... The scale is moving in the wrong direction. Up every day for a week. I was down 22lbs now I am back up 8lbs.

Doing cardio 4x a week and strength training with a trainer. Eating low carb/low fat. Not that time of the month.

Two things that are factors in my life:

1. Logging and counting calories.

2. Heavy exercise throws my body into weight loss fits. It dramatically increases my hunger, and as my body repairs and builds muscle it retains large amounts of Water and the scale goes nuts.

I counter #2 with the knowledge gained from #1. A pound of fat contains 3500 calories, if I know what I am eating, and I know what I am burning, the the wild fluctuations in the scale become more bearable. For instance, I have showed a gain the last three days, yet I have maintained a calorie deficit of 1300 calories, but my spin class been kicking my butt, and i have walked out of there on legs of jelly. So, are my weight gains real? Nope, not possible and the scale will catch up with reality in a couple of days.

no need to get frustrated. the band is working even if you dont think it is. yes you are healing but you are also doing very good. just keep going. and def stop weighing so much. the scale goes up and down all day long for all sorts of reasons. you drink a big 16 oz, you are up that much....and then pee it out....but that being said, now is the time to get your head into the game. you will get replies about bandster hell, i dont know about that, but i just wanted to post to hang in there. the success is there. just need you to realize it. :)

I only weigh myself once a week. Anymore I would go crazy.

While this time is for healing... its important to count calories and measure portions as well. I fear many people forget to do that and think they are eating small amounts which may be true but they forget to count the calories. Also drink lots of Water... that made a huge difference for me. I found that even eating 1000 calories a day...if I didnt drink at least 64 oz of Water i wouldnt lose weight.

Also after liquids I was done with Protein shakes. The are alot of calories and do not fill you up so you may want to consider and speak to your dr about getting your Protein from real food instead.

after you work out are you drinking protien? make sure you do that

I do track is MFP and am staying around 1000 -1200 calls a day although my Doc doesn't have a specific calorie range. I also measure all of my food, no more than 3oz of meat plus 1/4 cup of veggies or fruit per meal generally. My NUT diet has as an example, Greek yogurt for Breakfast, Protein shake for snack, 3oz tuna for lunch, Protein Shake snack, 3oz cottage cheese plus 1/4 cup no. Starch veggie for dinner. The Protein shakes are part of the NUT diet, she requires a min of 16oz per day in this phase.

My exercise is moderately more than pre surgery, I haven't been wih my trainer since Nov (I buy 6 week sessions with her).

As for weighing, it's a tool I use after years of weight related therapy I have learned for me, daily weigh ins are a must, as my therapist says, it keeps it in the forefront of my mind.

You are holding Water and will as your body heals and get use to the cal intake and other changes you are making. This is a very hard part but hand in there it gets better and in a few months you will find it easy...I am only out 6 mos but down 57 lbs the lowest I have been in 30 yrs...just keep going