Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm scared I'll feel like I'm being choked

I know this sounds really unusual, but I feel like I'm going to feel like I'm being choked. I feel like I'm going to have the the sensation that something is choking me from the inside. My surgery is March, 4th 2013.

You cant feel the band inside you. I know you may think you can but you wont be able too.

I have had my band for over 2 years and honestly I rarely think about it being there, The only time I know I have my band is when I eat, it reminds me to eat slowly or pay the price. I will tell you that when I would have fills for about 2-3 days I would feel a fullness in the back of my throat when i drank or ate. Your fears are normal, I was scared to death to drink or eat immediately post op, afraid nothing would go down but it does. Good luck to you.

Try not to let your worries get carried away.It is normal to be nervous. You are getting ready to start a wonderful journey. Try reading some of the success stories on the forum. Maybe that will get your more excited then worried. Best of luck and keep us posted.

The unknown is scary. I get that! But I can promise you you will not feel your band at all as its around the stomach not the throat or wind pipe. You will feel the port... possibly right away or maybe after you lose some belly fat. It feels like a bump or knot under your skin and does not hurt.

Try to relax... :)

Its just nervs it will be fine and even fun to diet now when the craving stop ad the scale moves in the right direction. When people say if you losse any more we wont be able to find you...the new life is so worth it...this time it works

I think many people who reads these forums who haven't had the band yet may think "stuck" is similar to the feeling of choking. I know I thought that. If you feel stuck, it's absolutely nothing like being choked. You can breathe with no problems, it's just a lot of pressure in your throat and you either want it to go down or up because it sitting there is uncomfortable. You can avoid those episodes if you're not too tight, if you eat small bites and chew lots and lots :).

It's always scary doing something new, especially something life changing. The band is life changing but in a wonderful way, at least that has been my experience for the past 3 or so years. I don't regret it, I wish I had it done many years before that. Good luck and we'll be here for support along your journey.

Jesse I feel the same way!! That's my worst fear!

I'm praying for you Jesse we have the same day lets keep in touch we can do this! :) Trust your surgeon & trust your decision!