Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

This is more for the old bandsters (but anyone can answer)

The ones that had it for a while. What are some of the foods you CAN'T eat? I hear bread is the worst.Can you eat wraps?

When my band was functioning, bread was out but wraps were ok in moderation. I couldn't eat rice but could eat noodles and as much Pasta as I wanted as long as it wasn't al dente. Mangoes and grapes made me PB but most other fruits were fine. Asparagus I never even tried because my dr told me to avoid it.

A friend of mine is banded too and she can eat bread and rice but not Pasta. She can eat steak but not eat chicken at all, which was completely the opposite to me. She can't have broccoli but can put away a huge bowl of cabbage. Cabbage did not agree with me at all.

It really is more a matter of 'how fast' 'what conditions' and a number of other issues such as "are you hungry?"

A few items still give me trouble....dry stringy chicken; steamed Buns (as in that once-a-year-or-so) with the polish sausage....(yes it's horrible on a number of levels...but it DOES prove the Band is still working).

It took me about 18 months to get back to such as lettuce, hamburger patties, rice, regular sandwich on bread (still don't eat many of these, and always cut in quarters as I might only eat 1/4 or 1/2.)

There's a lot of stuff I just don't care to eat that used to be 'favorites' so "can't eat" really is mitigated by "don't want to but usually can".

Several times I was too tight without realizing it and would get the slimes daily.

chicken skin is on my avoid list. And the little skins around those evil Polish sausages.

Hope this helps.

Mostly with care I can eat nearly anything I choose to.

My preferences have changed considerably. And I am no longer a gulp-and-wash-down with a swig of liquid.

Wraps sometimes, usually 1/2 slowly is plenty. Sometimes I slime it back up. Can eat Pasta, but don't care for it very often.

Ditto. I can eat anything I want. Even dry meat if I take very very small bites and chew it to mush.

I can eat anything. Some things take a little more care to eat that others, but there isn't any food that I can't eat. There are food I choose not to eat, but that is my choice, not the band stopping the food.

There is so far nothing that I cannot eat when I eat it in small portions and small bites. Some foods are tough for me when eaten too fast, like tough fresh deli (cold hard turkey, corned beef etc.) and hard Bagels. But this is only if I'm starving and eat like a pig

Ditto to many here. I can eat everything but certain foods I need to take a little more care and chew well. When I couldn't eat bread, I was far too tight... and eventually my weight loss slowed down because I was out of my green zone.

I only had issues with dry chicken. I really cant eat bread or anything of doughy consistancy. Rice is not a problem but I choose not to eat it. Pasta for the most part is a no go too. I think if you eat correctly there really is nothing off limits with the band.

add me to this list..i am not as long banded as some, i also can eat whatever. i am just real picky to not eat junk, processed and non filling foods..

Wow , I have people I work with that say they Can't eat spicey food. Or Pasta at all. Now they all went to the same doctor. I wonder if that has anything to do with it?

I eat spicey. Extremely hot green chili stew, home made salsa with the hottest jalapenos and I put Sriracha on all my asian dishes. What you can eat really depends on how small the bites are, how much you chew and do it all very slowly. Learning to eat small, chew big and slowly isn't something that comes easily to most of us. It takes months or maybe even years to change a lifetime of obsessive gorging.

Pasta seems to be the easiest for me. It's what they call a slider food. Not recommended since it's high in carbs and low in nutrition. But, eaten within reason it's OK. A Pasta salad with veggies is quite alright! For me, pasta slides right on through the band without stimulating the vagus nerve, so I can eat too much of the stuff. Now, if I ate real fast and took big bites, it might get stuck and eventually give me that stuck feeling. But that's not how you want to treat your band. Maybe your doc recommends you stay away from pasta since it's a simple starch that spikes your insulin levels causing you to be hungry shortly after? jmo

tmf

I can't eat pork chops at all! Otherwise most anything although untoasted bread or Buns can be tough so i usually avoid them. Like most others, as long as the bites are small and I chew to smithereens, I can usually eat whatever I want, except the pork chops lol (gave up on those after three stuck episodes early on)

To say I can't eat certain foods is not entirley true....i can eat anything...it's just that some foods are more riskier and difficult than others...like tip-toeing through a mine field...

early on, there were foods that I had extreme difficulty with, so I found it easier to write them off all together....like pizza...I could eat a slice, would take me 20 minutes, and would probably get stuck along the way..so why bother...all that trouble for something that's not that good for me in the first place....

having said all that...I stay away from anything made from flour, the more doughy the worst...breads, Pasta, pizza, donuts, cake and Desserts....etc, etc...

Rice does not sit good with me either.....

Globs of melted cheese...no matter how well you chew, it's still a glob!

Shrimp&lobster...again, no matter how well you chew, just does not break down well enough....but these I will not give up....just extra careful and not much...

And of course...RED meat...ALL RED MEAT..steaks, chops, fillets, hot dogs, sausages, hamburger - ground beef, ....again, I probably could if I tried hard enough, but I feel so much better since I stopped, 2 years now, and my cardiologist is THRILLED!

Funny, the foods that I find difficult and have put on my "No" list, are all foods that are not that good for me in the first place.....so why push it? Go with the flow and eat healthy!

Also, the band will not only change you hunger and desire for food, but it will definitleychange your taste buds for foods....foods I used to love, like salads...I no longer have a taste for...and cannot (choose not) care for salds anymore...there are many foods like that...

As far as spicey foods....I used to be one that put hot sauce on EVERYTHING.....but I was also one that had issues with reflux from the band....that has gone away since I toned back on the spicey foods......

I should add, that along with this learning curve, I have not been stuck or slimed in a long, long time,,,close, but can listen to the warnings.....and yet I have a tight band, comfortable in the Green Zone.....

It really is more a matter of 'how fast' 'what conditions' and a number of other issues such as "are you hungry?"

A few items still give me trouble....dry stringy chicken; steamed Buns (as in that once-a-year-or-so) with the polish sausage....(yes it's horrible on a number of levels...but it DOES prove the Band is still working).

It took me about 18 months to get back to such as lettuce, hamburger patties, rice, regular sandwich on bread (still don't eat many of these, and always cut in quarters as I might only eat 1/4 or 1/2.)

There's a lot of stuff I just don't care to eat that used to be 'favorites' so "can't eat" really is mitigated by "don't want to but usually can".

Several times I was too tight without realizing it and would get the slimes daily.

chicken skin is on my avoid list. And the little skins around those evil Polish sausages.

Hope this helps.

Mostly with care I can eat nearly anything I choose to.

My preferences have changed considerably. And I am no longer a gulp-and-wash-down with a swig of liquid.

Wraps sometimes, usually 1/2 slowly is plenty. Sometimes I slime it back up. Can eat Pasta, but don't care for it very often.

I love your little avatar in your signature....blast from the past..."Don't Mean S***" and "Keep on Truk'in"

Had all the comic books....