Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all surgery scheduled for 1st March, doc said no pre-op diet necessary, just wondering why some say pre-op diet and some say not. Also would like to know about sickness, do you throw up a lot? And finally what meds do they prescribe before you go home?

It depends on the surgeon. The reason for the pre op diet is to decrease the fat on your liver. My surgeon only ask me to be on liquid diet for one day before the surgery.

I was prescribe liquid pain meds. I didnt get sick or anything. I took the meds the day of surgery and that is it for me.

I didn't have to do a pre op diet either, I was just told to eat light the day before surgery, I put myself on a a liquid diet for the 3 days before surgery. I am 2 months post op and have not thrown up at all. I was sent home with liquid lortab and anti nausea meds (because the lortab makes me nauseous). Best Wishes for your surgery :)

5 months out and have never thrown up. I was sent home with pain killers and ended up only using them for 2 days, not because I had pain, but I wanted to stay ahead of what pain might come......it never did. I did a 2 week liquid diet, but if you have been around the boards, every dr is different. I also did take stool softeners, that was my friend, my surgeons office warned me to get on that right away before it became a bigger problem.

Thank you so much, you guys are the best. So supportive.....,.

Why did you ask about throwing up?

Throwing up with the band can be a death knell for the band. When you have a violent vomiting episode your stomach above and below the band goes through a convulsion to extract bad forces in your stomach. Since the opening between the two is so small this can dislodge the sutures holding the band in place causing your band to slip up or down. Vomiting is discouraged needless to say?

tmf

I had a gastric balloon in about two years ago and I just couldn't stop throwing up. I read that your body rejects foreign objects, just wondered if it would be the same with the band.

Key to not vomiting is to eat slow and chew, chew and chew....and chew some more. LOL. I still struggle with it especially when I am pressed for time. You spend a great deal of your life eating a certain way and then all of a sudden you're supposed to change.

My Nutritionist told me from the beginning to start practicing now while I was going through my mandatory six month supervised diet. I wish I did it as it would have been an easier transition. I know eating slow and chewing really fine sounds easy but it really isn't. Now you have to actually think about what you're putting in your mouth.

I have had several stuck episodes over that last 9 months and have vomited several times. It is not pleasant and I have been lucky to not cause a slip.

I don't know what a gastric balloon is but it sounds like something that was inserted inside your stomach and I can see a lot of vomiting with that. The band is external so the situation is very different.

tmf

I did not have a required pre-op diet, but I self imposed one. I cut out sugar, caffeine, high fat foods and alcohol. I put myself on a 1200 calorie restriction and practiced the eating habits I'd need after banding. I started logging my food intake on myfitnesspal.com, which I'm still using and love. This made my transition to post-op eating much easier and I lost 9 pounds before the sugery. I did not have any vomiting issues afterwards. I'm two weeks post-op today and just started on pureed food. I've lost a total of 19 pounds all together. I used Tylenol with Codiene for pain control afterwards. It's the only one I can tolerate. I was also sent home with anti-nausea meds, but never needed them. Hope this helps.

I was not on a preop diet either. You are not supposed to throw up with the band. I did have a stomach virus and did have violent throwing up but went to my doctor the next morning to check out my band. Normally no you should not throw up it can cause the band to slip.

Hi all surgery scheduled for 1st March' date=' doc said no pre-op diet necessary, just wondering why some say pre-op diet and some say not. Also would like to know about sickness, do you throw up a lot? And finally what meds do they prescribe before you go home?

[/quote']

Surgery scheduled for March 4. I am on a 2 week pre op diet. It is a 1200 calorie diet. It is suppose to make your liver healthier if you can take off 5-10 pounds prior to surgery. It is a balanced diet.

"Throwing up" isn't the right word when it happens because you're stuck. I have regurgitated food I've eaten but it doesn't smell like vomit and it doesn't come from the bottom of my stomach. On this forum, they call it productive burping.

I have done it myself, and it's usually because I have eaten something my band won't tolerate. That happens to a few people - something, however innocuous, suddenly will not go 'through' the band (or feels like it won't) and it's less painful for it to come back out then to wait for it to go through. I found that rice and mango and bread. I love mango and I have chewed the hell out of it, and nope, it still comes back up every time. Even mango juice. :(

It doesn't hurt like vomiting does. I still don't like doing it though. But it does happen and has happened to me. It isn't good for your band, but I wouldn't have known what my band wouldn't tolerate if I hadn't gone through it, so once it happened, I usually avoided that food thereafter (except mango, but I think I was in denial)

I did however once have food poisoning and I was throwing up from the bottom of my stomach. That is a whole different kettle of fish and I could see how it could have really hurt me. I could feel my tummy spasming and the food coming up and hitting the top of my tummy but not going anywhere. That hurt like crazy. That would be an instant visit to the emergency department, I reckon.

Good thread . The last 2 weeks I have been having trouble having food pass through . Not every meal though. Yesterday I had no trouble at all but today I had frozen yogurt that got stuck . Does this mean I am too tight? I don't get a full feeling and I'm hungry too soon ?