Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can what you eat now, change after a fill?

Just curious, I have my first fill coming up in March and I'm curious if a lot will change afterwards or if it did for everyone else. I'm on solid foods now or I guess I should say I'm slowly transitioning into them and so far so good. Nothing I've eaten has gotten stuck or upset me but I've ben cautious and taken things slow but I'm wondering if after my fill if things I've successfully eaten now will then cause problems for me afterwards. For example right now I have no problems with eating really crusty thin small bites of baguette bread with the doughy center removed so all I'm really eating is the crust and same thing with English muffins, I mainly just eat a really thin piece of it. Will this change after a fill? I'm guessing the fill will make the opening between my upper stomach and lower stomach smaller so it takes longer for food to pass thus keeping me full longer so will this create more problems when I eat stuff that I never had problems with before?

Initially following a fill, your surgeon will give you specific instructions, mine has me stay on a liquid diet for 48 hours, then soft foods for 24 hours.

Likely it may take several fills to feel much in the way of restriction, and often people will discover that they can no longer eat foods which they formerly enjoyed. Breads are big offenders with getting stuck.

Eating with restriction is a learning curve, and as such is a "trial and error" experience. Hopefully your surgeon provide you a list of allowable foods for every stage of the post op period.

I can no longer tolerate bread of any description, or anything stringy, such as fresh pineapple or green Beans. We are individuals, that said, no two of us will have identical weight loss journey's. We all learn as we travel.

Best wishes for a successful journey...

What Sojouner said, especially about following your Dr.'s specific advice.

When you say liquids for 24 hours after the fill, is it Clear Liquids or full liquids? My first fill will be on the 7th of March.

I am so jealous. You are on solids and I was banded before you, banded 1/24/13 LOL. I am still on pureed :( this week then soft food next.

When you say liquids for 24 hours after the fill, is it clear liquids or full liquids? My first fill will be on the 7th of March.

It depends on your doctors orders. My doctor has you do full liquids for 24 hours after a fill then mushy for 24 hours.

I found I had to learn how to eat again after each fill and as you get closer to the Green Zone you have to be more careful. I don't have any foods that I cannot eat, but some foods take smaller bits and more care in eating.

Good luck on your first fill.

Thanks ajtexas

I'm guessing the fill will make the opening between my upper stomach and lower stomach smaller so it takes longer for food to pass thus keeping me full longer so will this create more problems when I eat stuff that I never had problems with before?

Throughout my journey I have found what I eat...or more specifically how much I eat changed drastically with each fill so to answer your question... the odds are you will find there are things you cannot eat after a fill... even if you could the day before....

When you say liquids for 24 hours after the fill, is it clear liquids or full liquids? My first fill will be on the 7th of March.

Post fill, my surgeon wants me to have Protein shakes for proper nutrition. Clear liquids are acceptable, but not required. Remember, you still need proper nutrition, this is not the same as pre op and post op diets.

Be certain to get specific instructions from your surgeon for you to follow post fill.