Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I found out my insurance covers the lap band but there is a 3 month supervised weight loss period. Im still within my 1st mnth and recently went to a nutrition class which is one of the prerequisites. They are advising I start my 30g of carbs per day diet ... 30grams ? really? Has anyone else had to go on this diet and if so how did it go?

You'll find every nutritionist and every doctor seem to have their own idea what works best.

Is this for your 3 month required diet before the surgery?

It sounds like they're putting you on a low carb diet similar to Atkins. I personally don't like or do well with low carb diets (I did Atikins in the past) but some do great on them. It really all comes down what works best for each individual person.

Best wishes.

All nutritionist are as different as Drs,lol

I was told 60gr of Protein per day and just a small amount of good carbs.

The protein is suppose to keep you fuller for a longer period of time.

Good luck on your journey!

i agree with mad and miss, just do what your dr and nutritionist advises you to do.

some people do low carb, some carb cycle, some all veggie, some this some that.. doesnt really matter what (diet) it is called...dont get hung up on which is better.. as long as it is filling (lean Proteins, veggies, fruit), and in your allotted portions, you cant go wrong. the next 2 months will fly by :)

I usually drink 2 Protein shakes a day (for 60gs protein), then I will eat chicken or 4 oz lean meat in a salad or a steamed veggie tray with some angel pasta(oil d herb dressing) to try and stay around 1250-1260 calories a day. I loaded up some celery sticks in a garlic dip the other day as a treat. You will find many ways to slowly wean yourself off the carbs. I'm an ex-Atkins person and it does work.

Best wishes

While I did not have to do a pre-op diet I agree with the above each doc and Nut will have "their" way of advising patients. Mine talked more about making sure I got my Protein in and my Water in. When I went back after 6 month post op she looked at my record on myfitnesspal (where I count my calories) and looked at my percentages and told me I need to lower my carbs just a bit, but other than that it was fine.

So it all depends on the person. Just make sure you have a good line of communication between you and your doc and you and your nut - they will prove to be valuable as you make you way on this journey.

Pre-op diets vary.... I personally did not have one. I can attest to the fact that Atkins works. I still eat na modified Atkins diet today. Got me to goal and I am maintaining