Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My surgery day (01/30/13)

It was 4am, and super cold outside (like it usually is in the winter...) and I woke right up when the alarm went off. I wasn't allowed to shower that morning, but I had to wipe my abdomen with this weird sticky wipes..gross. We had to take our 6 year old daughter with us because our babysitter caught the flu at the last minute. She had to miss school that day because no one was going to be home to get her up and ready. Her and I had packed a bag of her toys, and made sure the DS and iPad were fully charged to keep her occupied. 4:30am, we were off. Stopped by to pick up my best friend who wanted to see me off before she had to go to work. We arrived at the hospital at 5:30am on the dot. Checked in and waited. They called me back and took two tries to get the IV started. I knew this would happen and warned them when they called to do my pre-op registration. I still have the bruise over two weeks later from the first failed try. The next two hours went by super quick. The surgeon showed up and made sure I didn't have any last minute questions. The anesthesia team came in and asked me a million more questions and then gave me some meds to help me relax. Not that I really needed it. This was going to be my 8th surgery, 6th one on my abdomen. They wheeled me in to the OR, and it is all a blur after that. Woke up in recovery with some pain and nausea. They had given me a 72 hour nausea patch prior because I knew I get nauseated after anesthesia. It hurt to take a deep breath, and I asked for pain meds. The only pain I had in my abdomen was from the port. The pain in my chest was from gas as was the pain in my left shoulder. I knew this would happen as well thanks to this forum. I kep falling asleep, and every time I did, I de-sated so they kept waking me up and put me on oxygen. Once I finally got my pain under control and started breathing okay (about a few hours) they moved me to short stay. The whole time I was in recovery, this guy came in and had surgery on his leg, but kept complaining about his stomach hurting, and was cussing up a storm. I asked them to give him pain meds so he would shut up lol. They did, and they he was quiet. After resting in short stay, they wanted me to try taking deep breaths and using this device (can't remember the name of it) but it's to help prevent pneumonia. It hurt SO bad to do that, but I kept trying. They also set a 15 min timer, and I was in charge of re-setting it, and every time, I had to take a cap full of Water. My pain came back, and they gave me liquid lortab, man that stuff was nasty! I asked for pills after that. Then it was time to go to the bathroom. I felt like I had to go, so they slowly helped me sit up which was painful. Then I slowly walked to the bathroom. Only I couldn't go. Turned the water on and everything. So after a bit, I walked back to my bed. Sat for another hour and tried it again. This time my nurse gave me a cup full of warm water, and told me to pour it over my private area and that might help to stimulate me to go. Sure enough, it worked! Felt much better after that. My daughter came back to visit me not long after I was moved to short stay. She did so good the whole time! She was asking the nurse all these questions about mommy. When it was time to go, she asked if she could watch them take out my IV and then help wheel me to the car. The nurse thought my daughter was very caring and had a great time showing her everything she asked. She has always been fascinated with the body and health. I see health care in her future like her mama! At 1:30pm, it was time to go home. I was very excited to get home and rest. The drive home was fine. I like about an hour from the hospital. That was my day. I'd do it all over again in a heart beat.

Thanks for writing about it. How did u feel the following day. Ay pain? Were u able to walk, move around?

You're welcome. The pain was manageable the next day. It hurt to get out of bed. Mostly at the port site. I got up and walked every couple hours. Stayed on top of my pain and anti nausea meds. Those helped. Set my alarm on my phone for every 4 hours. My husband helped bring me broth Water and juice. If I was down stairs, I made it all. By day 5 I was painting the trim for my daughter's room remodel so it does get better. The gas pains would come and go. I sipped water but really just tried to sip anything. I wasnt worried about how much just that I had something to keep me hydrated. I couldn't lay on my right side for a week since thats my port side but I'm laying on it now and writing this. I still get gas pain in my shoulder if I sit too long like at work. So I stand at my desk and I've had no pain.

So tell me how many days before going back to work? Do you walk every few hours at work.

I took two weeks off from work. I think two weeks was good for me. I have a very sedentary job. I literally sit at my desk for 7 hours out of 8. I'm a coder and have production to meet. The other hour is my 30 min lunch and two 15 min breaks. If I have to go to the bathroom, I better hurry. So no, I don't get to walk unless its on break or my lunch which is why I stand for a lot of those hours. I found that out the hard way when the pain in my shoulder brought me near to tears by the end of my work day first day back. But I learned and had only one tiny tinge of pain and then I moved till it went away. But this is me. I went to my support group last night where only half of us had gas pains. And some took only a week off some took 4. It all depends on you and your surgeon.