Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bad Mid Back Pain

Hi Jack

One should never use those two words in a sentence on an airplane...anyway, are you a doctor? How did you know all that? I made an appointment for Monday morning at 10:35 to try an unfill. Guess we'll have to see how it goes. Thank you!!

Jack is a chiropractor. A good chiro can work miracles. I'm walking testimony to that! :(

SNowwhite, do you think your eating or drinking too fast?

WOW you ALL helped me!! I am 4 weeks post op and just started solids since Monday and I am MISERABLE the last 3 days!! I have this pain you are describing and I think you have all answered me!!! Thank you thank you!!!!! I went back to liquids today...I am still "sore" but praying that by tomorrow will be feeling perkier!!! :(

God Bless,

Melody

Banded 3/20/06 -31lbs :D

I'm so glad this thread helped you Melody.

Were you eating too fast too, or do you think your band is just not ready for solids?

Leenerbumps,

I guess eating too fast...I was a record speed eater prior to surgery...so anything was a slow down to me...but I'm eating too fast I guess AND not ready for solids....i was doing GREAT on mushies...but Monday when I went to solids got MISERABLE! I was up last night twice as I get a sudden metallic taste and have to dry heave gently....nothing comes out....but wonder if I had something stuck and it's just sore now?! These stupid pains come up from the intestinal area and go through my chest and sometimes come out the top....sometimes not?! I took Maalox max....so things are coming out the other end quite smoothly...magnesium always does the trick!! :eek: I am only about 32 days post op or so....I ate Soup last night and still not hungry 13hrs later....have not had any fills yet of course....can't imagine making things tighter in there just yet?! :Banane56: My husband says, "should I worry?" I'm quite pitiful right now....I am able to work....but feel very tired of course....tried not to whine...but sure don't like this pain!! :) HOping that whatever it is passes. Using the antacids, liquid tylenol. He broke open a Nexium capsule yesterday and put in pudding (disgusting) and not quite feeling up to par...hoping this weekend to rest and recoup!!!! Any suggestions...I'm open!! :mad:

Thanks,

Melody

Banded 3/20/06 -31lbs :)

Hi everyone

Yes, I know the wonders chiropractors can work. I go to one myself. Still not able to do more than drink some. My appointment is Monday morning so we shall see. No PBing or anything like that. It is so strange! I do eat very slowly. Take a bite. Chew, chew, chew. Put down my fork. Take a bite, etc. I'm going to continue doing that. I am hoping he can take just a small amount out and not a 1/2cc.

Melody, The first day I went to solids I had that feeling. The food just layed in my pouch .IT was uncomfortable and I was nervous. IT stayed there for hours and hours. I woke up at 5 am and came to the board to see what I could do. SOmeone said take meat tenderizer, get on all fours with your head down, drink hot tea. I did it all and went back to bed. I woke up having it pass through finally.

Sorry to hear about your trouble, but definitely taking notes. I know I eat too fast and will take longer due to chronic fatigure and fibromalgia. I am learning from your experiences. Hope things get better real soon for you. I am already planning on using my lunch plates and small utensils after banding.

Leenerbumps--

How do I take the meat tenderizer? I called my dr finally today....the PA called back and felt that something may have gotten stuck OR it was just left over from surgery swelling??? Told me to go back to liquids...already done that the last 24+ hrs!! I was dry-heaving...nothing out til the last time and I had this belch w/ the heaves and white stuff come out then have not since....the nausea has lessened...but in the background a bit still. Took Bonine (meclizine) chewables and have slept much since after work....rough day!! :( Anyway.....she told me only hot/warm stuff as cold could cause to spasm worse!?! So I am drinking hot only now....maybe helping?!? Broths' and hot Water w/ lemon in it....not really a tea drinker... bout ready to try no matter what?! She's telling me that by tomorrow I will be feeling better since I backed off?! I'm thinking I don't know if I ever want to eat again!! :( Thanks for any advice/help!!!!!!!!!

God Bless,

Melody

Banded 3/20/06 -31lbs:) (probably more by now)

Well....I am alive!! Wondered if I would ever visit a site again!? I wasn't able to do much except sleep since 6pm last night. Finally up at 11am today!!! Feeling SO MUCH BETTER!!! PRAISE GOD!! I was truly in misery!! Hate to complain so was trying to be brave....I ended up taking the Meclizine....that made me hurl....but hurling w/ the band is much different I've disovered!! ;) I was able to handle 3oz of smoothie this AM and took 20minutes to do it!! I am DETERMINED to S-L-O-W down!!!!!!!!!!!! :( Well, I gotta go do something!!

Thanks for prayers and help!!!

God Bless,

Melody

Banded 3/20/06 -37lbs :)

Melody, I'm so sorry I didn't see your post. Someone said take a tablespoon with Water (and some lemon juice if you have it).

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm glad your feeling better. it's a scary feeling I KNOW.

LB, so sorry you're having these issues! And everyone else on the thread! (Heh, I'd missed the 2nd page!)

For those learning to slow down... here's what I did last week. It seemed to do the trick (finally!):

0. Get a watch or clock with a second hand.

1. Take a SMALL bite -- try cutting a small bite, then cut it in half!

2. Chew to goo -- then chew a couple more times, just for luck!

3. Swallow

4. Put your fork down & watch the 2nd hand...

5. AT LEAST 30 seconds with your mouth empty! 60 seconds is better when learning

6. Repeat steps 1-5 for EVERY bite!

After time, you may learn that with some foods 30 seconds is enough. For some you need the full 60. Sometimes I can sneak by with 15 seconds, but I have to watch it.

Good luck!

Wow Janet, that was so helpful. Really. People say slow down, but when you inhaled food before, slowing down is all relative, you know? I need thinks spelled out for me. It's the way my brain works. ;)

Hi

As I have said before.I have been getting pain in the middle of my back directly behind the band since the third day after my band.It is almost every afternoon and rather than food related I now feel that it is more related to when I get tired physically.....or something like that...

ok,I dont have a clue what it is and the dr dont have a clue and if you find out please let me know.....

. . . . He broke open a Nexium capsule yesterday and put in pudding (disgusting) and not quite feeling up to par...hoping this weekend to rest and recoup!!!! Any suggestions...I'm open!! ;)

Thanks,

Melody

Banded 3/20/06 -31lbs :(

Hi Melody,

Just thought I'd pass on this pearl of wisdom from my band doc: If you need to take a medication which is in a capsule form (this won't work with a pill that has a 'capsule coating'), drop the capsule into a little bit of Water and watch it for a few minutes. When the capsule looks wobbly - like a grape that is past ripeness and is starting to 'sag' - you can swallow the whole capsule without it getting stuck, without it hurting in your chest, and without those disgusting mix-it-into-pudding blues! Yuck!

This made a huge difference for me as my post op antibiotics were big capsules and tasted so disgusting that just the taste almost made me vomit. Swallowing a gooey capsule is sooooooooo much better!

If you're nervous about this at all, call your doctor and see what he/she thinks.

Good luck. Let me know if this helped you out.