Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bad Mid Back Pain

Hi All, I'm 6 weeks post op now. Had some rough times at first and have lost 19 lbs.

I and am experiencing really bad mid back pain. Feels like a muscle pull but it's everyday. From the "bra line" up to the wing bone area. Like a band of pain from one side to the other.

It seems to be happening along with eating. It comes on late in the day, is worse at night (after a day of eating) and is gone by morning. It's really only started since going on solids.

Anyone experience this??

I called the doc this morning but he is in surgery.

19 lbs - AWESOME! Congrats to you! Yes, I experienced upper back pain in the area you're describing. My pain, however, happened when my band was too tight. I would get back pain when food was trying to go from the pouch to the stomach. You haven't had a fill yet, so I'm not sure what to say except you're not alone - it is probably band related. I hope your doctor is able to help you.

Let us know how you're doing!

Okay, Leener, you just might be getting too big for your britches, young lady.

You are eating well, thinking about a fill....slow down. You were so tight you need to NOT compare yourself to all these folks who say things like, "Two weeks post-op and I'm STARVING!" or "Oh no, I was so hungry I ate pizza 5 days post-op" or "I wonder if my band is even there, I can eat ANYthing!" or "I ate a whole hamburger, bun and all, plus some french fries! What's up with that?!"

You are not them (or is it "they"?). The mid-back pain related to eating, being on solids, after a full day of eating, goes away at night...it all sounds very band related. Maybe make your diet mostly full mushies, with only occasional solids, for a few days, and don't even think about a fill until you are able to eat "normally" with no discomfort.

You will feel like you need a fill when you are eating mushies, so it's good to move to solids, but in this case, your body is telling you it's hard for your band. Listen carefully and try to be patient!!!!

You really are doing great. You are a wonderful bandster!!!!!!

Thank you Sahnna and thebestme! :confused:

It's defo band related. I have been on full liquid and mushies today and so far no back pain.

Is it weird to be 6 weeks out and have trouble eating solids??

I'm seeing the doctor tomorrow morning.

It's so hard to say what's "weird" because everyone's so different. I, personally, did not feel back pain before being very tight but maybe others have. Sorry I can't be of more help. I'm glad you called your doctor, but I think you're going to be ok. Take care of yourself!

Just got off the phone with the doctor. He said the pain is from me not chewing well enough, eating too fast or the food doesn't agree with me.

I have to go back on soft foods and then try again. He said it's a learning process.

This kind of stinks. I was feeling so much more full of the solids and glad to be eating again. Eating the soft foods makes me hungry and think about food all day.

I thought I was eating slow and tiny. I guess not. :/

He also said no fills! None! Until I can eat solids normally.

Smart doc! Yay!

It may not be that you aren't chewing well enough, or are eating too fast, it may just be that your band isn't ready yet. You know you are having a slow start, so listen to your band. Log your food on FitDay or something, so you know what your nutrition looks like and you aren't over-eating (you may be surprised! how little or how much!) and that way you can keep losing. But you are right, you WILL be less hungry on the solids. It's obviously hard on your band, so take it easy.

See what a good bandster you are?! Keep healing. You have made wonderful progress, just keep up the good work!

awww..damn. Pain is back. I just had about 3/4 c of mashed potato and I have pain in the back...This is becoming painful, frusterating and worrisome.

I'm worried something is wrong with me. :-(

No bueno man! I don't like that. Stick to liquids for now, and give it some time. I wouldn't think mashed 'taters would do it. Gravy? How thick? Full liquids for now and see how it goes. Let us know how the pain is in a few hours. I'll check back in after church tonight. ((((hugs))) Leener. You aren't broken, just slow to heal, and very in tune with your body, which is really a good thing. Which reminds me to say to you...follow your gut about something being wrong. Don't just listen to us out here in cyberland. Call your doc., 'kay?

Hey lady, Thanks for checking in. :-)

Well the pain went away after a few hours. In speaking with my partner, he said I am eating too fast. He said he watches me and it just seems too fast.

Your right, I am slow to heal. I have chronic fatigue and fibromyalgia and I think that is what is contributing to this. But I think I may have eaten the smashed tater too fast. I have always inhaled my food and "slow" to me may be not the "slow" the band needs.

What is SLOW to the rest of you? Like, eat a tiny bite, chew and put it down for how long??

Doctor says to come in and see him in two weeks if all goes well of soft, and try to re-introduce after going easy.

I sure hope that's all it is. Either way , I'm not a happy camper. I wish I was normal, like most other banders.

Hi There,

Boy I can understand the back pain. It happens to me too. But only after any food goes into my mouth. So I have to stop and either slow...ly chew, or eat mushies. I am 12 weeks post-op and have lost 30 lbs. I have had two fills. This last one really stopped me in my tracks. I could eat almost anything right after the 1st one. With this one, I can eat 1/2 cup of food at a time and I am back to puree.

What does the phrase PB mean?

Carolb:kiss2:

You too? Yes, I think it's food -band related.

For you, is it eating too much or too fast?

No way my doc is going to give me a fill until I can eat solids without pain. It's going to slow my loss, but I'd rather that than cause damage.

A PB "Productive Burp"is a nice way of saying vomiting your food back up. They say on the forum that your moth gets all slimey first and you get a golfball in your chest, I've never had one, thank god.

Gosh I wonder if that's what I'm doing as well. I too get the back pain when I eat or drink. I had a fill mid-March. Stayed on Soups and liquids for a week. Gradually started eating again. Went out to dinner one night and ate two very small pieces of fish and three french fries. That was three weeks ago, and I have been having pain when I eat ever since. It is getting worse, too. I haven't thrown up or anything like that, but it sure does hurt a lot. I have tried talking to my surgeon but he seems to think it is supposed to be like this. I disagree. It's like stuff is hanging up in my throat or something. It hurts when I drink anything or try eating anything. I am trying the things I saw on this website (I just found out about it yesterday) like the warm tea, etc. So far today I have eaten a small amount of pudding and a small amount of food. I am trying to drink some gatorade so I don't get too dehydrated, but that is rough going down as well. I don't know what the problem is or how to fix it. Any suggestions?