Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Diagnosed wih Gluten intolerance/Celiac Isease

Hi everyone,

I was diagnosed with a severe gluten intolerance two years after my surgery (but I probably had it 3 months after surgery). I've struggled with it just because my body doesn't like any grains but I'm much healthier now (minus all the other complications I believe the lap band have given me).

Has anyone been diagnosed with gluten intolerance/ celiacs disease post surgery? I just ask because I am the only one in my family...and my family believes it's the Lap band (they hate it lol but I don't blame them because of all of issues I've had).

Thanks!

Coley

Congrats on getting your gluten issues diagnosed! I know (secondhand) how much that sucks, especially when you don't know what's wrong. I have been looking into Paleo cooking recently so when I host the family for Christmas this year, the banded person (me), the gluten intolerant one (a sister) and the "normal" ones (ha!) can all have the same food as much as possible.

I know that's not quite what you were asking about, but that's my experience with dealing with a band and gluten intolerance. I hope your family takes your celiac issues seriously enough that they are careful not to accidentally ninja-gluten you.

Celiac disease is genetic and can be determined by a blood test so only certain people have it. Gluten intolerance can develop in almost anyone and can be confirmed by taking sample from your intestines. It can come and go as it's an irritation of your intestines. I'm surprised it developed after banding as the recommended diet is Protein, then veggies, then starch which doesn't even have to be wheat based. Most would be getting very little to cause the irritation. Years ago I was tested for gluten intolerance and it actually turned out to be other food allergies. But if you do have issues with gluten just remove it from your diet and you should see an improvement pretty quickly.

Good luck!

I do not believe that banding can cause this. Nor do I think size has to do with it. I have a good friend who was diagnosis with celiac after about 4 years of issues, she has never been over weight. She has always been skinny as a pencil. I have another friend who they are currently testing for it and she is not over weight and never had WLS.

I think it has more to do with your body. Some believe it's kind of an allergy your GI system develops. Kind of like no one in the family has to have a peanut allergy, but your kid could pop up with it. I say this becasuse my cousin's son has a severe peanut allergy, yet no one in my cousin's or his wife's family have an allergy to peanuts.

I know it sucks, but from what I understand from my friend a nutritionist can be your best friend.

It's unlikely your gluten intolerance was caused by your band. I do want to add that you CAN follow a band compliant diet and eat many foods with gluten, since its hidden in many Condiments and used in a variety of foods. Here's a list:

The following items may or may not contain gluten depending on where and how they are made, and it is sometimes necessary to check with the manufacturer to find out:

Artificial Color4

Baking Powder4

Caramel Color1, 3

Caramel Flavoring1, 3

Clarifying Agents4

Coloring4

Dextrins1,7

Dextrimaltose1,7

Dry Roasted Nuts4

Emulsifiers4

enzymes4

Fat Replacer4