Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No Fill, Restricted, 3 weeks Post-op, Liquid Diet

The weirdest thing happened to me today. I am exactly 3 weeks post-op and still have no fill (of course) and am still on liquids for another week. This morning I was making Creame of Wheat for the kids. I was testing it (by eating from their little baby spoons) to see if it were too hot. One itty bitty lick/taste from my son's bowl and another from my daughter's. Put it in the freezer to cool off and added some milk to mine to make it really soupy. Had already drank about 2 large tumblers of Water before and while preparing (was told the no drinking with meals does not apply on liquids even though I do not drink AFTER I have a Protein Drink or Soup because I notice I get hungry sooner). Took Cream of Wheat out of the freezer, and tested again from both bowls. I WAS STUFFED! I fed the kids and then sat down to have mine, even though I was stuffed because I really need the calories because I am nursing my son who is wearing me out (just one more year...lol). I eat from a baby spoon and took about two sips of mine and decided I better stop for fear of making myself sick. I then went to take a nap (hey when the baby wants to nurse and sleep...I follow his lead). Four hours later I drank two large tumblers of water (anything less I will still have a white and pasty tongue...it seems as though the more I drink the more my son takes and I am constantly trying to replenish) and again was full. I needed some calories so I drank a Slim-Fast Optima.

I feared week 3 because I have read that this is usually when the hunger from hell kicks in. My case has been just the opposite. I am not complaining, I actually appreciate it. My concern is if it is okay to eat (remember I am on liquids) even if I am full, to make sure I am getting suffient calories (I am not even close to the 1500-1800 I am suppose to have as a nursing mom...I am forcing about 700 if that).

Thanks

http://www.unjury.com/

Try powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury unflavored. You can add this Protein powder to anything and this will help increase your Protein and your calories. The flavored Unjury is really good also. Good Luck with everything and don't stress about the 3 week hunger because you might not get it. You will be fine and the kids will keep your mind off any hunger. LOL :confused:

Oh my gosh! You are doing great! And still on liquids at 3 weeks! WOW! I was supposed to do them for a week, and I caved in at day 6.

Some people never have to have a fill, the band does enough for them. Just make sure that you try to get your calories and Protein in, because if you don't get enough your body will go into starvation mode and you WON'T lose weight. Plus, I'm pretty sure-as you said- it wouldn't be healthy since you are still nursing. You are one strong woman to still be on liquids at 3 weeks!

:confused: Kristin

Thanks Teresa, I live in Saudi so I do not order online much. I will see if GNC has an unflavored Protein powder.< /p>

lol Kristin! Just one more week to go.I do fear going into starvation mode because my first 25 pounds were lost in the first 10 days and I lost 2 pounds ealier this week, but nothing since. I lost those last two pounds after upping my calories.

I am almost 3 weeks post op and I am also on liquids. Right now I have Protein shakes, a premade shake called glucerna, Jello, broth, Soups, soy yogurt. I can start solids next week, but I had such a bad experience with a medium to soft boiled egg on day 7 that I was scared straight and have been very good ever since. The only problem is that I think I am not getting enough calories or nutrients either. I sometimes have a constant lump in my throat and can feel the tightness of the band. So I avoid even drinking Water. Do you have that same issue?

I haven't felt that hunger hell yet either. But the smells of food drive me crazy anyway and I do so miss eating solid food.:cry

JellyBean, what happened when you ate the egg? I have not had this lump in my throat, that you mentioned.

I was fine with smells because to be honest, my family is eating the same boring stuff everyday...lol! However, yesterday, my maid prepared a Pasta and chicken dish and just the smell of her frying the onions set me off. Oh yeah the other day when brownies were being made it drove me crazy. I was putting some on my daughters plate and put a little crumb in my mouth, but freaked out and spit it out and rinsed my mouth...it was only a speck!

It felt like it got stuck at the stoma and like it was really tight and a bit of a burning sensation, it lasted for 15 hours!!! It wasn't really stuck after the first few hours, because I got Water through fine but I guess I irritated my esophagus and the feeling stayed with me long after.

I was so good after that broth, sugar free pops, etc., even aloe vera juice. But sometimes I get a lump in my throat and it's there all day, I hate this sensation so much that I think if it lasts longer, I may get rid of the band. I didn't want to feel the band all the time. And I don't think you are supposed to.

I have this crazy theory that it feels worse if I don't sleep with my head raised almost sitting up. When I sleep any other way, I feel the tightness/lump more. It may be a build up of acid, tonight I'll take some Pep-Cid and drink hot tea with lemon. I can only hope it will be better tomorrow. At this rate though, I am terribly afraid to go to solids next week.

Wow. That sounds like you need to talk to your surgeon JellyBean (by the way, that's my cat's name!). Those are definately not symptoms you should normally be experiencing.

I have only gotten the "stuck" feeling a few times when I ate too fast and didn't chew. It hurt like hell for about 2-3 minutes and then went away after a few sips of Water.

:) Kristin

Kristin,

JellyBean was my ex's nickname for me (he's Butter Bean), it's a great name for a kitty.

I talked to my sis today who is a doctor (she went with me to get the band in TJ) and she suggested that I take Prilosec -OTC and that I get more walking in (I've slacked on getting in my 30 min. like I was right after surgery). She said the lump is a result of the esophagus muscles going the wrong way and suggested it might be acid. Although it doesn't feel like acid to me, just a lump. She said to call the surgeon if it doesn't clear up in a few days doing this. So keep your fingers crossed!

Kabeerah,

Don't be afraid, I guess just continue with caution. I am much better today and don't feel the lump in my throat or the band at all today. I attribute this to 3 things: First I took a PepCid, I guess my sis was right it is probably heartburn; secondly, I made sure I walked a lot and thirdly I slept sort of sitting up, making sure that my head and shoulders are raised. They even say to sleep this way for people who suffer from plain old heartburn without the band.

I've lost 22 lbs so far and I am so happy about this loss that on a no symptom day like today I am thrilled. :nervous I'm not even that hungry, I had my procedure exactly 3 weeks ago and next week I can slowly introduce solids. I'm scared to death but will stick with soft foods first, just in case. I've been dying to have Soups with chunks in it so maybe I'll start there. Good Luck!

I feared week 3 because I have read that this is usually when the hunger from hell kicks in. My case has been just the opposite. I am not complaining, I actually appreciate it.
I haven't really been hungry since February 26 when I started my pre-op diet. :( I never had the hunger from hell that I hear so many talking about. I'm just now, just this week, to the point where I can eat more than just a few oz without feeling stuffed. I'm still not eating anywhere near "pre-band", but am also starting to eat more than I believe I would if I had good restriction.

Wheetsin,

I'm curious, what kind of foods did you eat weeks 4-7? Just trying to get a handle on what would be easiest to eat...

Thanks, JB

I didn't get my first fill for the few 3-4 months because I was restricted just from the band alone. It was nice! You are lucky because you are using the band as your tool in the early stages. Also, if you need extra protein/calories, add more Protein Powder into your milk, if you are doing shakes...

Hi Everyone! I was hoping I can get some input on a few things. I am day 10 post op doing my liquid diet. Since I havent had my first fill, why do I get so full on liquids? Is it because my stomach is sore and recooperating?

Are bandsters not "expected" to lose weight until their first fill on solid foods? I definetly feel I am losing weight but will I lose it even quicker with my first fill? Im so confused