Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Well I went in today for a checkup which my doctor has his patients do every 6 weeks. He and I both agreed that I didn't need another fill. I did, however, have something interesting done. Have any of you every heard of a metobolic test?

The test takes ten minutes and the information that you are given is very informative. After determining your resting metabolic rate, you are told what you burn while resting, performing daily activities, and exercising. You are also given your target caloric zones also. In other words, the results show you how many calories your body actually burns and calculates how many calories you should eat to lose or maintain your weight. You are also told how your metabolism compares to others of your sex, age, height, and weight.

I recommend the test if your doctor offers it. I found it very helpful.

COOL. So if you're OK with sharing - what did yours say?

Was your Target Calorie Range, for example, LESS or MORE than you thought you should be having?

There is really a lot of science to the process of weight loss, so any extra information would be helpful, I guess.

Happy Band Journeys To All ...

What did the test consist of? Did you sit with a cuff on your arm or did you have to have an eight pint blood transfusion with a high colonic followed by tap dancing to Yankee Doodle Dandy while wearing an Uncle Sam suit? LOL Sorry. That was the weirdest thing I could think of off the top of my head! Seriously, what's involved with a metebolic test?

Me too. Same Doc, today (Tuesday). Tested with mouth/hose setup, with noseclamp for 10 minutes.

My metabolism was tested to 14% above what's considered "Normal" metabolism, "slightly fast".

To sit-on-my-butt and maintain weight, I "need" 3139-4078 Kcal per day.

To lose 1.5-2.5 lbs a week, I "need" 2513-3139 Kcal per day.

My Doctor-Supervised Kcal recommended count is 0-2513.

Dr. Veninga and I agreed that I'd stay @ around 2000 Kcal a day until my first fill near the end of May.

Steve

no fair, guys get to eat more calories!

That test sounds really informative, so what are the details? How is it done?? What is the avg. range?

Ok I looked up metabolic test on google and I found this: http://www.mercola.com/forms/mt_test.htm

I took the sample test and wow, it rings true with what is going on with my eating habits and why I feel sluggish after eating certain things.

my results - 71- Protein

my diet should be: <TABLE style="BORDER-RIGHT: #cccccc outset; BORDER-TOP: #cccccc outset; BORDER-LEFT: #cccccc outset; BORDER-BOTTOM: #cccccc outset; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cccccc" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="95%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD align=right>Protein Type:</TD><TD align=middle>40% Protein / 30% Fat / 30% Carbohydrate</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Donna B, I'm ROTFL. You description was hilarious but fortunately it was nothing like that. My test was done on a REEVUE Indirect Calorimeter. You sit for ten minutes and breathe into a mouthpiece and tube that look a lot like the ones used for breathing treatments. The one drawback, as Steve mentioned, is that you have to wear a nose clamp. You also do salivate some due to the nose clamp so my doctor has a recliner for you to sit in which helped.

NewSho, I was surprised at the amount of calories that I can eat and still lose weight. Here are my results:

I'm 5ft 5in with a BMI of 32.5

My metabolism is 11% above normal. That was a shock but a good one. I guess being overweight I had developed the mindset that I had probably was on the slow side.

The number of calories I burn at 3 different stages:

At a moderate exercise level for 30 minutes +188

Lifestyle & Activity(daily activities like working, eating etc) +543 a day

Resting Energy Expenditure or REE(what I burn a day at rest) 1814

The number of calories I can eat:

Maintenance zone 1814 to 2357

Weight loss zone 1452 to 1814

Medically supervized zone(Lapband patients) 0 to 1492

There are a few other things that you learn as well like your respiratory rate(mine is 9.8 breaths a minute) and your Total Energy Expenditure. This is your REE + Lifestyle + Exercise. In other words, if I rest, have, a normal day, and excercise like a should(doesn't always happen), I'll burn 2357 calories a day.

This is new at Dr. Veninga's office. Looking at the copyright on the bottom of the page though, it has been around since 2003. www.korr.com

Donna, youre such a crackup! LOL

I always have to eat a lot less than what these types of things recommend. If it works for you, that's awesome. I don't understand how that offers much information, considering the caloric intake for medically supervised zone (lapband patients) is anywhere from 0 to 1492. I have a hell of a time getting in 1,000 calories per day, how in the world would I manage 1492?? (eating reasonable portions of healthy foods)

Please don't think I'm poo-poo'ing your Dr or your excitement over the info he provided you. I'm just thinking outloud.