Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was banded in Dec. and have had 3 fills (2cc's ina 4cc band). Have lost nearly 50 lbs since journey began (25 since surgery).Not much restriction for 1st week after last fill, then it kicked in with a vengence. My concern is that I realized after about 5 days of PBing a lot that my eating hadn't changed at all. I kept eating moderate size portions, and not very slow - then just barfed it up after overfilling. My band finally roared and I have not been able to keep down any solids (or even mushies) since Sat. (can do liquids/protein drinks). I seem to keep getting in the way of my own success. If this sounds in any way familiar to anyone, I would so appreciated some insight into how to get past this. Help please. Sunshine

Oh my....you poor thing!! I am preband, so can't speak from experience. I would call my surgeon if I were you b/c it sounds like your swollen. I'm sure there are many on here that can offer better advice. This will bump your post so maybe more people will see it and respond.

Take care & good luck!!

Hey sunshine, don't be so quick to blame this entirely on your eating habits. It sounds to me like you were overfilled last time.

You shouldn't try to eat anything for a few days, stick to liquids and call your Dr. about a slight unfill. The esophogus gets so irritated and swollen from PB's and without time to heal it will just continue to make eating almost anything impossible. Bless your heart. Be sure to let your Dr. know how much you have PB'd and have your band checked for any problems.

Ok...I'm super super in touch with what you are saying. I am a recovered bulimic but I have to admit I've recently been going through a similar thing. I eat too fast, too much, wrong food and of course I PB. I got to the point where I was doing this two and three times a day. I finally had to realize....it was the same old demons, they'd just found a different way.

Now...you don't mention if you have had an eating disorder in the past. If you haven't....then I suggest that you are just in rebellion mode. The ol' "I can eat it if I want to!!" mode and fighting your band. I understand this. We all go through it. If this is the case, well...you have to sit down with yourself and decide what this band means to you and rededicate yourself to your goals.

If you have had an eating disorder in the past....get thee to your therapist now. This is what I had to do. Got a mental adjustment and the rampant PB'ing stopped.

Good luck. You've gotta find a way to give your band a rest from all the vomiting. I started with a goal of going one whole day without doing that. I was lucky enough to string eight of those in a row. Today I blew it...but tomorrow starts "one day with no PB" again.

We're in this together.

Thank you for the reply giveyoutothemoon. I have dealt with bulemia since I was a freshman in high school. I haven't done the whole purging part much since getting engaged a year ago though. But I still did the binging (hence why I needed WLS).

I didn't really associate the effects of that with the fact that I still feel like I have to eat as much as I can, even with the band. I guess I knew, but I didn't really want to put 2 and 2 together. Sigh, maybe my therapist can help. I've never told her or anyone besides my fiance about the previous problems.

Anywhoo. Thanks for making me look at things a little differently.

:confused: Kristin

How ya doin' sunshine?

Here are my suggestions:

Call your doc

Stick to Full Liquids (anything you can drink through a straw, since that seems to be able to go and stay down)

Drink a few ounces of Aloe Vera juice 2-3 times a day for a week for healing the esophogus and help reduce band area swelling.

There are 2 scenarios I'd recommend, but without more info I don't know which I'd choose for you, so I'll tell you both and you decide.

Get a small unfill. Start over, in a sense

OR, some folks can make a tight fill work. One PB causes swelling, the swelling causes another PB, round and round you go getting nowhere, causing damage along the way. BUT, if you follow the bandster "rule" of 24 hours of liquids after a PB, you can give the swelling a chance to go down and prevent yet another PB. If you can eat comfortably, yet slower and more carefully, with your fill, you might can make it work. Just please be super careful about not causing damage. Too tight is NOT the bandster way. It's just that once you have a string of PBs, it's hard to say if you are too tight or swollen.

You know your body and band. Get an unfill, a small one, and let your body rest and heal. If you are determined to avoid the unfill, stay on liquids till it gets better.

Also, lots of folks have their fills "kick in" after a week or two, so don't let that first week post-fill be an indication. You may still be too tight.

Let us know how it goes!!

I didn't really associate the effects of that with the fact that I still feel like I have to eat as much as I can, even with the band. I guess I knew, but I didn't really want to put 2 and 2 together.

Hey Kristin! Glad you were able to take a look at the patterns. Those durn demons of the eating disorder sure will find a way.

Just a preview...the first thing my therapist did was to remind me that an ed is all about control. She asked "what feels out of control in your life" because my ed is always far, far worse when I have those ol' out of control feelings.

For me...this time....honestly things seem to be going pretty well in my life....and I'm so used to being crapped on....so things going well actually scares the sh*t out of me....so I'm working on this stuff.

It's a lifelong job to keep those ed demons at bay.

I'm here if you want to talk!

I too Pb about 2 times a month maybe 3. I try & not do this of course But --well you know ;0) My concerns are that your band can slip. This is a fact. Pbing too much can losen the threads that hold the band in place & it can slip out of postion & up or down. When this happens you can have a tough time keeping anything down. So like everyone said contact your Doc & he'll know what to do. Stay on liquids until you can see him. Best of luck & let us all know what happened.

Thank you so much guys. It helps knowing you are out there and understand. I haven't previoulsy been bulemic, found this change disturbing. I have been sticking to liquids, will try for a few more days. I really do not want to get an unfill, my doctor is willing to wait and see since I can keep liquids down. Haven't heard about the aloe vera, where do you get it? Thank you again everyone. Sunshine

Haven't heard about the aloe vera, where do you get it? Thank you again everyone. Sunshine

Wal Mart or most drug stores. It's in the tummy meds section (Tums, etc.) in a gallon container. Refrigerate after opening. Not very yummy, but very healing from top to bottom. I wouldn't be without it now. Good stuff. Good luck and keep us posted!

I would tend to want to do what your doctor suggests. I would hate for an unfill, unless you really need it. I you can get Protein Shakes and liquids down, I would do that for a week or two to let things rest, and to see what is happening to your band. As you lose more weight, it should loosen up. But of course, get an unfill if you need it...

I also get more tight after about a week of a fill. I also get tighter when my AF is coming. Do you notice a difference with your cycle?

I went through a period semi-similar to what you describe. I realized that I was trying to eat too fast, not chewing enough, etc, and I just had to sit down, one meal at a time and decide that I was going to do it right. Tiny bites, lots of chewing, and a decent amount of time in between bites. Also, take care that you are eating things that are bandster friendly. Dry chicken will almost never work, etc.

If that doesn't work, see your doc about getting a small unfill, but definately don't let it go on too long!

*hugs*

I swear The Best Me must have stock in Aloe Vera juice and Egg Drop soup!!!LOL. Honestly, I know how good it is but I haven't used it for a long time. As soon as I read The Best Me posts that are all over this forum, I ran out and bought some organic Aloe juice. So Now I am good to go for my surgery on Monday. Thanks for the tip. Your such a sweetie pie. ;-)

Roberta

Surgery 4/24/06

I swear The Best Me must have stock in Aloe Vera juice and Egg Drop soup!!!LOL. Honestly, I know how good it is but I haven't used it for a long time. As soon as I read The Best Me posts that are all over this forum, I ran out and bought some organic Aloe juice. So Now I am good to go for my surgery on Monday. Thanks for the tip. Your such a sweetie pie. ;-)

Roberta

Surgery 4/24/06

I SHOULD have stock in it! I found myself recommending it about 5 times in two days, so I added it to my sig, and got another 5 PMs about it, plus more posts along the way so now I'm the Aloe Vera Junkie Queen!

And, yeah, my posts are all over the forum...I just can't help myself, someone stop me! I can't quit posting! Heeelllp! LOL

Glad you got your juice, you are good to go! Happy Banding Monday!

Sheryl, I usually get tighter with AF. Happens alot, perfectly normal.