Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pouch dilation?

Hi friends....I had an upper GI this morning due to acid reflux I've been having, turns out I have slight pouch dilation! He said my band is in perfect position however...whew!

He just instructed me to continue taking OTC acid reducers as needed, and there is nothing else we can do. Has anyone had this?

Hi friends....I had an upper GI this morning due to acid reflux I've been having, turns out I have slight pouch dilation! He said my band is in perfect position however...whew!

He just instructed me to continue taking OTC acid reducers as needed, and there is nothing else we can do. Has anyone had this?

Hiya Sweety,

I have read a few posts about it on here, http://www.lapbandtalk.com/topic/164295-dilated/page__hl__pouch%20dilation#entry1930629

I just really wanted to come by and give you a (hug)! I am happy nothing is wrong with your band (wheeew).

Keep us posted on your progress!

I can sense when this happens by the size of my portions increasing....when this happens, I go full liquids for at least 2 days to give it a rest and a chance to restrict....it always helps for me.....

But keep in mind, I have a right band, and rely on feedback from my band for just about everything. So it is easy for me to tell if things change up a little.....

Ooh Patty u are a sweetheart! Thank you for those links.. Funny my doctor didn't mention that I needed an infill...

Thanks for the support and good wishes!!

I can sense when this happens by the size of my portions increasing....when this happens' date=' I go full liquids for at least 2 days to give it a rest and a chance to restrict....it always helps for me.....

But keep in mind, I have a right band, and rely on feedback from my band for just about everything. So it is easy for me to tell if things change up a little.....[/quote']

Thank you B-52, funny thing is the only symptom I have is the reflux...my restriction is great and I really can't over eat if I wanted to either.

Generally speaking, pouch dilation with or without reflux is a sign you're too tight and an unfill is required. It's interesting your doctor didn't at least suggest it. If its mild, it usually will resolve within a few weeks. Best of luck to you.

Generally speaking' date=' pouch dilation with or without reflux is a sign you're too tight and an unfill is required. It's interesting your doctor didn't at least suggest it. If its mild, it usually will resolve within a few weeks. Best of luck to you.[/quote']

I just had an unfill last week actually....my reflux has improved some but not 100%.

JennyBee... Pouch dilation has been my biggest problem with my band. However, it's one of the easier complications to control luckily, as long as you're diligent and careful!! I get horrible reflux with mine as well, and then would start to notice increased portion sizes. The first time mine was pretty bad so I had to have a complete unfill followed by a three month healing period. Dilation happens when we overeat.

So, along with nutrition counseling, I slowly started the refill process. If you start to catch the beginning signs at home, a liquid diet for a few days may help to reduce your pouch and allow it to heal back down, but it really should be brought to your doctor's attention whenever you believe you have a pouch dilation as it can easily lead to a severe slip, which is what my doc believes happened with my first band that then had to be surgically removed. But it sounds like you're right on top of it and communicating well with your doc!!

Good luck! You look fantastic! :)