Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Leaking, leaking, leaking

I have to say I am very upset to find out that I have a leak in my band. I was originally banded in 2007 only to find out 8 months later that my band had not been put in correctly which they rectified at no cost to me. For months I questioned why I could eat so much with with 9 cc in my band until they decided to check it out for me. They had wrapped the band around the fat tissue, not my stomach. I looked into taking legal action but decided aganst it. I lost 21 kilos, 12 kilos through my own efforts in the first 8 months.

I went for a fill last year because I didn't have much restriction expecting the extra .5 cc would give me enough restriction to get back on track. I noticed I could eat more than I thought I should at 7.5 cc but since I was following a Weight Watchers diet decided not to have any more fill put in. I went off track with the diet because I was able to eat way too much. I could eat chicken burgers with chips and still hungry for more food later. Occasionally I would get stuck but mostly eating anything I wanted. After putting on more weight, I decided I needed to see the doctor for more restriction. He said he would not put more in without an x-ray. The barium meal showed that the Fluid was going down too quickly. When I saw the doctor again, he said that I may have a leak so he took all the Fluid out but only managed to get 1.5 cc out of the band. I was devastated that I now have to go for more surgery. He said if the leak is at the port, it would only require minor surgery but if they find the leak is elsewhere, they would replace band. I am in a delemma about what to do and would appreciate some advice. I have lost confidence with the doctor, particularly after the first fiasco.

Wow, I'm amazed to find others who have experienced the issue of a persistent leak.I have to admit that since I last posted, I've come to the decision to replace my band rather than revise to a sleeve. I have had great success with the band and I know it works for me, when it works, so rather than go the sleeve and develop possible issues, I will stick with the band and the issues I know and can live with already. And to be honest, with the band, there aren't any that I find onerous.

So I'm now scheduled for a full band replacement in 3 weeks, on the 27th April. I saw my dr on Friday and I've lost another 2cc in about 5 weeks so it's going to happen.

I'm actually really excited about it! I can't wait to feel the band working again. I love it when they fill me at my appts and for 2 or three days I lose all desire for food and have zero cravings. Oh how I miss that! Then it disappears and it annoys me no end. I just want it to work again!