Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

is someone deleteing large threads?

DeLarla is right, only the person who started a thread can delete it. Moderators can, but we don't unless we are asked to by the person who started it. Threads that are no longer active just drift to the bottom; there's no need to actively delete threads at all. I'm sure the servers have some sort of auto-archive process in place to preserve space, if necessary. Deleting threads wouldn't help in any significant way if disk space were a problem.

So the answer is---it must be the thread-starters who are deleting them. Why? Who knows. But it's their prerogative if they want to do it.

I noticed the vegetarian one was missing, too, but I thought maybe I just couldn't find it again. I was really enjoying that, too. I did post the seitan recipe someone asked about, so maybe that will get it going again...

Emily

Why was it deleted? It had good information. I wish they hadn't. It's helpful, especially for newbies doing searches for exactly what we were discussing. When I was new, I did and found nothing.

:confused:

I just came here looking for the Davinci one... I really wanted to read it... Can't the moderators stop that feature of the original poster deleting?

I can see her editing her post or what she said but she deleted a lot of others opinions. I don't personally think if it was getting out of hand it wasn't her decision to delete others posts. If the moderates didn't want it to continue they could have closed it for new post.

DeLarla is right, only the person who started a thread can delete it. Moderators can, but we don't unless we are asked to by the person who started it. Threads that are no longer active just drift to the bottom; there's no need to actively delete threads at all. I'm sure the servers have some sort of auto-archive process in place to preserve space, if necessary. Deleting threads wouldn't help in any significant way if disk space were a problem.

So the answer is---it must be the thread-starters who are deleting them. Why? Who knows. But it's their prerogative if they want to do it.

I was a moderator of another forum for a period of time and we could turn that feature off so the original poster could edit their own post but couldn't delete and entire thread.. does this forum have that option?

Dylansmom started a thread that discussed how she felt about the upcoming movie and what "she thought" were the facts.. some people agreed, some disagreed!

I thought it was a cool thread... I like post that make me think.

It looks like Kelly's deleted almost all the threads she's started.

oh geez.... not again!

:tired

When I catch up with that girl, Im gonna give her a... :confused: for doing this!

She even deleted her picture.

Kelly, Kelly, Kelly... girl what are we gonna do with you?

Just for the record, Ive started threads just to get opinions on certain topics - then, after Ive recieved several responses from good friends, deleted it.

Especially if it pertains to my family.

What happened to the Jeff Foxworthy like bandster sayings? I can't find it and wanted to show it to someone. I've tried searching, but it seems to be gone. It was good stuff.

What happened to the Jeff Foxworthy like bandster sayings? I can't find it and wanted to show it to someone. I've tried searching, but it seems to be gone. It was good stuff.

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/showthread.php?t=17250&highlight=jump+in+here

Here it is. The thread-starter always has the right to delete the entire thread on a whim. Know this when you pour your heart and soul into a post, type for hours, get up, do dishes, go back and type some more, spend the afternoon pondering, and finally click "submit". If what you wrote means that much to you, copy and save into your hard drive. It very well could NOT mean that much to the thread starter and is always at risk of being impulsively deleted. I have lost plenty of posts this way, and as much as I hate it, if I didn't start it, it's not up to me. I want the opportunity to make my thread dissappear if I'm so inclined. What I'd more like do is edit, though. That's me. That's MY thread.

I ALMOST put some heart and soul into the DaVinci thread and now I'm glad I didn't. Kellie (God knows I love her to pieces) has deleted threads before and so I know it's always a risk when I post on hers. Why waste time thinking about it, carefully sorting out thoughts, when *poof* one day it's gone? I already take time away from my home and family posting on LBT. All of our thoughts are valuable, and we don't even have to agree.

So, post with care people. Copy to your hard drive or into your LBT journal if your well-thought-out writings are worth remebering. They may not be worth remembering to someone else.

I was a moderator of another forum for a period of time and we could turn that feature off so the original poster could edit their own post but couldn't delete and entire thread.. does this forum have that option?

I'm sure it does, and that's something we can talk about. Personally, I don't put anything online that I wouldn't be ready to come back to me some other way.

It seems to me that on a board of this kind where posts might contain personal information people regret sharing, it makes sense to allow user-level access to deletion and editing. But I honestly don't understand anyone's deleting a thread that has turned controversial--discussion and debate are good for the brain and words are just words. What purpose is served by taking them away? Personal attacks have no place here, of course, but I don't think that was the problem.

Another board I'm on doesn't even allow editing of posts after five minutes or so. Thread- and post-deleting are disruptive to everyone, is the thinking.

The thread-starter always has the right to delete the entire thread on a whim. Know this when you pour your heart and soul into a post, type for hours, get up, do dishes, go back and type some more, spend the afternoon pondering, and finally click "submit". If Why waste time thinking about it, carefully sorting out thoughts, when *poof* one day it's gone? I already take time away from my home and family posting on LBT. All of our thoughts are valuable, and we don't even have to agree.

So, post with care people. Copy to your hard drive or into your LBT journal if your well-thought-out writings are worth remebering. They may not be worth remembering to someone else.

SO true.

For example, I spent about 30 min on my post in the vegetarian thread posting about good cookbooks, finding the website for them etc.And in another light, I think people forget that many newbies do searches to see if their questions or situation has been discussed before.

Deleting threads can short-change others, getting the info they seek.

I deleted mine today to move it to a more appropiate section, no one had posted in it, but I would never have deleted it if people were in discussion.

I think the poster should have the right and option to change their posts,but what other people have contributed belongs to the whole board.

I think the poster should have the right and option to change their posts,but what other people have contributed belongs to the whole board.

Ditto!

Honestly, I think starting a thread you know is likely to be controversial (ie anything about religion, sex or opions on fat) and then deleting it when it becomes so is simply chicken.

I haven't noticed people deleting entire threads before. If there's a vote, I vote against it.

Jenna--time for a poll!