Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Very upset with my weight loss center...

I wish I would have done more re-search about what doctors i went too... I've only been banded a few weeks, but they dont offer nutritonal counseling AFTER surgery. I went in for my 2 week follow up yesterday, and mentioned to my Dr that I hadn't heard from her since a few weeks before surgery, and was informed I wouldn't anymore. I only got her services because my insurance requires 6 mons of pre-op dieting. So now i'm stuck trying to find one in my area that doesn't cost an arm and a leg and i'm completly clueless.

Has anyone else had this happen?

Sorry for the vent!

MY practice offers services post op as well. They may bill for them, but if it surgery related insurance should pay. I have never heard of this problem. Perhaps some others will post to help.

I hope I don't rub anyone the wrong way here........but I don't think much of seeing a nut. You can find out pretty much everything you need on the Internet or books, here especially. I'm sure a lot of the people on here that have seen a nut would be glad to share with you what they have learned. The Internet is a great resource and I don't see why you should pay for something you can get for free. I mean we are just talking about a diet regimen, not anything complicated.

Either way I am sorry you got blindsided. It is hard to keep up with everything going on pre-surgery and you don't always know what to ask about. Hopefully you can work something out.

Edit: I saw a nut three times for my pre-surgery qualifications and she didn't tell one thing I hadn't already heard before. Just the same ol' same ol' they have been saying for years.

i agree about paying to see one, hell that's why i never paid to see one before!! but i just feel like I have so many unanswered questions. I downloaded the my fitnesspal app because it seems like everyone here uses it... but it tells me i'm starving myself which could lead to weight GAIN. I also wake up at 4am to go to work, so I have a Protein Shake on the way there.... but is it okay to have Breakfast at a normal breakfast hour? or should i skip because of the shake earlier that morning. mehh just confused, and trying not to be unhealthy anymore

Tattoo I didn't mean to say a nut isn't for you per say. Just doing a little venting of my own I guess. :) As for me I eat and drink when I feel like it and don't go by the clock. Nobody told me to do that and I didn't read it anywhere that is just the pattern I have fallen into. (I don't eat late at night even if I am hungry) There are people here who have lost a lot more weight than I have and maybe they will give their regimen and it would probably hold more weight than mine.

Basically here is what I do per day:

calories 1200-1500

carbs less than 100 (because I am diabetic)

Protein 60 plus

That is all I track and I don't always follow it to the letter except for the Protein.< /p>

I think you are fine with your Protein shake early in the morning IF you are hungry at that time. Especially since you are up and on the move as opposed to going back to bed. But I surely am no expert...... and there might be some on here that will share with you. :)

i agree about paying to see one, hell that's why i never paid to see one before!! but i just feel like I have so many unanswered questions. I downloaded the my fitnesspal app because it seems like everyone here uses it... but it tells me i'm starving myself which could lead to weight GAIN. I also wake up at 4am to go to work, so I have a Protein shake on the way there.... but is it okay to have breakfast at a normal breakfast hour? or should i skip because of the shake earlier that morning. mehh just confused, and trying not to be unhealthy anymore

You have to remember that MFP is looking at you as a normal adult, not a normal banded adult.

I do 1000 cals

60 gr Protein

64 oz of Water

I too, concentrate on my 60gr of protein.

Thanks Maddy I forgot about the Water. I get my 64 per day also. Working on it right now in fact as I sit here and listen to the thunderstorm.

Hi,

You responded to my post yesterday about a texting buddy. Maybe we could chat and be helpful to each other. I was banded in 2008 and was initially successful but have gotten off my plan for the past 2 years. I still have a significant amount of weight to lose, so maybe we could follow each other.

Basically, you need to stay under a certain calorie level (I like to do 1000 but a lot of people consume 1200 or 1300 and still do well) and also make sure you are getting enough Protein to heal, keep you full, and avoid muscle loss. I also benefit from doing very low carb, but everyone is different. The Protein shake in the morning is fine. You can have your calories at whatever time you want, as long as you stay under your daily calorie count. How many calories did you enter on that web site? From what I've read, staying as low as 800 calories per day for over 3 months can slow your metabolism to some extent, but you would still be losing weight. I think for bariatric patients and anyone who has a significant amount to lose, the calories listed on those sites might be misleading.

Anyway, good luck with your journey. Where is your surgeon located? I one time went to a Dr. Gee in San Dimas, but it says San Diego on your profile, so I wasn't sure if it's the same surgeon. Let me know if you want to chat. I think it would be helpful to call or text someone every day to make sure we're both following our plans.

Annie

i agree about paying to see one, hell that's why i never paid to see one before!! but i just feel like I have so many unanswered questions. I downloaded the my fitnesspal app because it seems like everyone here uses it... but it tells me i'm starving myself which could lead to weight GAIN. I also wake up at 4am to go to work, so I have a Protein shake on the way there.... but is it okay to have breakfast at a normal breakfast hour? or should i skip because of the shake earlier that morning. mehh just confused, and trying not to be unhealthy anymore

All I can tell you is what I do. I start off with coffee, I have my shake when I arrive at work (7:00), I eat something solid (eggs, oatmeal) at about 9 then I eat lunch at 12:00, and a snack at 3:00.

The shake doesn't have any staying power with the band, but I want Protein in me as soon as possible, so I eat it first then solid food after Mistress Band has loosened her grip a little.

Hi,

You responded to my post yesterday about a texting buddy. Maybe we could chat and be helpful to each other. I was banded in 2008 and was initially successful but have gotten off my plan for the past 2 years. I still have a significant amount of weight to lose, so maybe we could follow each other.

Basically, you need to stay under a certain calorie level (I like to do 1000 but a lot of people consume 1200 or 1300 and still do well) and also make sure you are getting enough Protein to heal, keep you full, and avoid muscle loss. I also benefit from doing very low carb, but everyone is different. The Protein shake in the morning is fine. You can have your calories at whatever time you want, as long as you stay under your daily calorie count. How many calories did you enter on that web site? From what I've read, staying as low as 800 calories per day for over 3 months can slow your metabolism to some extent, but you would still be losing weight. I think for bariatric patients and anyone who has a significant amount to lose, the calories listed on those sites might be misleading.

Anyway, good luck with your journey. Where is your surgeon located? I one time went to a Dr. Gee in San Dimas, but it says San Diego on your profile, so I wasn't sure if it's the same surgeon. Let me know if you want to chat. I think it would be helpful to call or text someone every day to make sure we're both following our plans.

Annie

Yesterday I consumed 538, that's been about average for me because i just went into my mushie stage.. today i've had a little more, but not much.

I know dr. gee works out of LA too and somewhere else. I went thru 1800getthin so i know hes kinda all over the place.

Email me, and we can exchange numbers to text. LesleyMilot@gmail.com

My preband nutrition consultation cost me $75 and my 6 month BCBS nutrition counseling cost $40 for each of my 6 visits. The 6 visits were useless as like M1a said they just tell you things you should already know. However, I've seen so many banded people post here who are totally clueless about nutrition so I wouldn't say it's useless for everyone.

4 months after being banded I was not losing weight. I went in for my 3rd fill and the nut was there so I had a consult. She's a bonafide expert in bariatric surgery nutrition. She pointed out foods that were the antithesis of foods I should be consuming to lose weight. I immediately started losing weight after the fill and the visit.

At this point in your journey it may not be necessary to visit with a nut. Just follow your doctors orders but if you find that you are in a plateau or stalled for 1-2 months, you may want to sit down with a nut and work it out.

tmf

All I can tell you is what I do. I start off with coffee, I have my shake when I arrive at work (7:00), I eat something solid (eggs, oatmeal) at about 9 then I eat lunch at 12:00, and a snack at 3:00.

The shake doesn't have any staying power with the band, but I want Protein in me as soon as possible, so I eat it first then solid food after Mistress Band has loosened her grip a little.

Terry, when I complained to the dietitian at my weight loss group about the Protein Shake not sticking with me long enough, she recommended that I add 1-2 tbs. of ground flax seed. Word of warning though, drink your shake pretty quickly because the flax swells up and thickens your shake. The good news is that the swollen flax fills you up too! I have a Protein Shake at 7:30 and don't feel hungry again until 11:30 or 12:00.