Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Intro to the community, LapBand in March

Hello All,

The decision to be banded came to me after my father's death. Though not weight related, my father's death made me look at my own mortality.

I have been heavy all my life. You know the story..... the stigma, the teasing, the heartache, Blah, Blah, Blah. I was able to lose 120 lbs when I was in my twenties. Felt great, ran 2 miles a day, worked out and quit smoking.

Got married and life changed, Instant kids, school stuff, working second shift as a nurse, moving up the administrative ladder and quit smoking the second time. I have been smoke free since 2000.

The weight however crept upon me. Over the past 12 years I gain at least 10 lbs a year. This slow methodical progression got me to where I am today. It SUCKS!

Now at 43, I can't lose ten pounds in a month, I get frustrated with no results, I have tried it all, the Protein diet, the carb diet, the drink Water till you puck diet, or eat grapefruit diet. Looked at some of the advertised diets with prepackaged food. It looked like one thing to me -CAT FOOD.

I need something besides my willpower to help me. I did my research and feel the Lapband is for me.

My only Fear is addiction transference and excess skin. Any thoughts on that out there?

I look forward to contributing to this group as I go into my Journey.

Thanks

NJHAZMAT

I became addicted to this forum instead of food... And I am a shopaholic now as well. But I found consignment and thrift stores so it's not a bad thing.LOL

As for the skin... I did have a Tummy Tuck in december because my saggy boobs and tummy were just interfearing to much with my persoanl life....And I worked hard to afford to get them done.

Do I wish my thighs and upper arms were not wrinkled? Yes. will I have surgery on them....doubtful. But the good thing.... You cannot see any wrinkles in my size 6 pants!!!

Welcome to the family. 3 yrs out so far no substitute addiction. Yes i do have extra skin but i will worry about that at another time. My life has changed so much in the past three yrs. I am pretty proud of what i have accomplished and would not change my decision. Good luck on your journey and remember we are always here for you.

1 piece of advise, well many but most important- Everyone is different. Don't compare yourself to anyone just Celebrate your own accomplishments.

Wendy

Hello! I am new to the site as well as the banded life:) I wasnt sure how to introduce myself till i fell on this forum, so decided to share a bit in hopes I might connect with someone else throughout this journey. I have been banded 13 days ago to be exact and thank god I feel great now. Went through an atrocious week of shoulder pain, discomfort , gas, incision pain and swallowing my meds but as I said I feel great now. I almost feel normal apart from the incision where the "remote" for the band was inserted. First week I weighed myself I had lost 6 kilos( including 3 day pre op diet which consisted of tea and ricotta cheese). Last week I havent lost a single kilo which got me dissapointed and was wondering if thats normal? anyone have tips on how to accelerate weight loss? I am also finding myself eating the same Soup every night which is getting dull so if anyone can share their food diary it would be amazing! Im sorry im such a novice at this all if I could be directed towards a way to start a blog on here? thank you all and nice to virtual meet you!

Hi All,

I'm new to the lap band community too! I downloaded this application a couple days ago and I've been hooked reading all the material since!

I started my journey on December 2011. A new job and new insurance had stringent requirements to say the least. I completed my 7th month of nutrition counseling January 7 and learned that my surgeons office submitted my paperwork to my insurance last week. I'm waiting as patiently as possible, but what I really wanna do is call them and say "please hurry up!" <laughs>

I'm 37, have 4 kids, work full time, and recently went back to school for my MHA. I've been overweight most of my life but it really got up there a couple years ago. I'm 5' 4 and tipping the scale at 202 as of this morning.

Like many of you I'm scared, uncertain, anxious... I feel some guilt that I couldn't do it on my own and got this way to begin with, but I bring myself back to reality. The posts have helped alot and I know all of you will help me thru. So happy I found all of you :).

Raquel